ccboard_admin_back
02-17-2002, 05:38 AM
After much research, development and good old sweat and elbow grease, we

are finally incorporating a new, more efficient and altogether better

discussion board on BilliardsDigest.com. This new board will be up by the

end of this week.

We've certainly heard your complaints about the current discussion board,

and over the last three months we've been developing a board that we hope

you'll find much more easy, fun and practical to use.

This new discussion board will have a searchable archive and allow for

detailed user profiles (including preferences, signatures, hobbies, homepages,

email subscriptions and more).

Users can also decide to view the message board in flat or threaded mode (a

preference which can be changed at any time).

Plus, users will have the ability to send messages to other board members

through private message features and many other devices.

And don't worry -- messages on the current cue chalkboard will be kept with

the archive for viewing (though posting to old threads will be disabled).

In bringing this new board to BilliardsDigest.com, there may be a few bumps

along the way. So any feedback that you could give us would be much

appreciated, negative or positive (though, as always, please keep in mind

that your comments don't necessarily guarantee a response from the

webmaster or BD editors.)

We certainly appreciate your patience as the board transitions to its new

home -- and thanks for helping to build the best billiards community on the web!

Sincerely,

The BD staff

TomBrooklyn
02-17-2002, 11:51 AM
Test

Edit Test. Note: My computer time was 12:01 EST (GMT -0500) at time of original post. Synchronized (+/- .3 sec) my computer time to the official U.S. Time clock (+/-2.9sec accuracy) from:

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

prior to this edit. Note Billiards Digest time seems incorrect for either EST or CST. Out.

Edit 2: Time at first edit: 12:19. Time of this edit: 12:20

Edit 3: Hi Troy. Hey, give it a chance. This might be cool.

Webmaster: How do we put pictures in here? We can put pictures in here, can't we???

Edit 4: Icon check: shocked.
Edit 5: Time 1313EST. Noted 263 views of this thread, but only webmaster, Troy, Tom In Cincy, and I have posted. How can that be? Leaving shocked icon up for now.

Troy
02-17-2002, 11:57 AM
Hi Tom... See you on Playpool.Com since the powers that be saw fit to ruin this board by changing format from WebBBS to this crap !!!!!

Troy
02-17-2002, 11:59 AM
Goodbye CCB !!!!! You have ruined this wonderful Board by going to this lousy format from the user friendly WebBBS format.

TomBrooklyn
02-17-2002, 12:21 PM
I'd give it a chance Troy. It might be cool. Tom

Editing for icon test: tounge

Troy
02-17-2002, 12:26 PM
Maybe, we'll see

ccboard_admin_back
02-17-2002, 12:35 PM
Hi Tom,

We have not yet added the ability for pictures yet. We want to just make sure the board is stable enough and user friendly before we start adding advanced features. I appreciate your feedback and we try to adapt the board to the features the ccb community wants. Please post your suggestions here we appreciate your feedback.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-17-2002, 12:36 PM
and why would Playpool.com be any better?

TomBrooklyn
02-17-2002, 12:44 PM
Roger. Troy is not stable. He's having a canary fit. Out.

Troy, take that frown off your icon. LOL.

Troy
02-17-2002, 01:01 PM
Good ol' WebBBS format is the first and most obvious thing.

LC3
02-17-2002, 01:07 PM
This new board will take a little getting used to, but that's okay.

To those of you are experiencing format shock, register your user name, then play with the preferences. This board seems pretty customizable, so you should be able to find an arrangement that works for you.

02-17-2002, 01:15 PM
Bring back the old format. This is terrible !

heater451
02-17-2002, 01:45 PM
Tom, did you register? There is a 'time-offset' setting for the board in there.

02-17-2002, 01:50 PM
Good afternoon:

Please, eliminate the "Mandatory" use of cookies with the profile registration process. I block all cookies from all my computers and will not use sites which require the use of cookies. Please, stay out of my computer,

Dr. D.

02-17-2002, 02:04 PM
Hi mr. webmaster, I know your still under construction but
thought I'd point the samll font. It is a lot samller and
very hard to read.
A feature with I/Explorer is to be able
to change the font size by hitting the Ctrl key and the
mouse scroll wheel to increase or decrease the size.
I can do that on any web site except here.
BTW my font size is already set to large in my control
panel settings.

As I said I know your in the middle of a change, so no
complaints here. Just adding a little feed back.

Rod Elliott

ccboard_admin_back
02-17-2002, 02:05 PM
We are looking at options for this but some of the downsides of not using cookies are having to retype in information such as your email and username every time you leave the forum close your browser window, and then return.

The cookies store only your Username/Password and which posts you have read for your current session. Without accepting cookies some functions won't work properly.

ccboard_admin_back
02-17-2002, 02:20 PM
Sorry for the small font size. We soon will be adding more style sheets with larger fonts. To edit font size first login then click on the my home link at the top, then under Main Configuration click on the link for Display preferences

There will be an option which will say:

Which style sheet (skin) do you want to use for your display?

From there you can select a different style sheet (aka: skin) which will increase the font size.

there is only one option for now which is default

I should have a new one up sometime later today; however for now there is only the "default" option.

I will reply to this thread when i have the new style sheet added with the larger font size

thanks for your feedback

LC3
02-17-2002, 04:12 PM
Do we have your assurance that these cookies only store our username and viewing preferences, and that they don't collect or report any other information about our systems?

ccboard_admin_back
02-17-2002, 05:50 PM
There are 2 options for font size now 8pt and a 10pt. 10pt is the default and if you like the 8pt you can login and switch the font option to 8pt by click on the my home link at the top and then under display pref's click edit and select 8pt

02-17-2002, 06:55 PM
Dear sirs:

POOR choice, POOR program! Go back to the old format, this is terrible.

TomBrooklyn
02-18-2002, 02:59 AM
LC3 wrote: Do we have your assurance that these cookies only store our username and viewing preferences, and that they don't collect or report any other information about our systems?

WHAT else are cookies capable of doing? This is a sincere question. I have no idea. Whatever it is, does having a firewall prevent unauthorized access? -T-

ccboard_admin_back
02-18-2002, 10:32 AM
Here is some information from howstuffworks.com about cookies

"Cookies are not programs, and they cannot run like programs do. Therefore, they cannot gather any information on their own. Nor can they collect any personal information about you from your machine.

Here is a valid definition of a cookie:

A cookie is a piece of text that a Web server can store on a user's hard disk. Cookies allow a Web site to store information on a user's machine and later retrieve it. The pieces of information are stored as name-value pairs. [Correct]

For example, a Web site might generate a unique ID number for each visitor and store the ID number on each user's machine using a cookie file.

for more info visit How Internet Cookies Work (http://www.howstuffworks.com/cookie.htm)

LC3
02-18-2002, 10:37 AM
If you go to www.cookiecentral.com (http://www.cookiecentral.com), you'll find a lot of interesting information about what cookies are and how to deal with them. To answer your question specifically, click on the "Cookies" tab at the top of the homepage and read the info on that page, then click on "The Dark Side" on the left side of the page and read that too. For a good cookie management program, check out www.kburra.com/cpal.html (http://www.kburra.com/cpal.html)

PQQLK9
09-10-2002, 08:02 PM
This must be "GroundHog" day /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif