PDA

View Full Version : OK, now I'm confused......

ian
11-06-2003, 12:18 PM
I haven't played in about 5-6 years, but when I was playing Muecci was the brand to have. I used a HOF6 I think, the city lights cue, and loved it. Now everyone is saying Viking or McDermott or various other brands. What brand would you guys recommend to someone who was decent but hasn't played in a few years?

Popcorn
11-06-2003, 12:44 PM
If you like Meucci, why would you change just because someone has a different opinion, You said you loved it? Today's Meucci's will be no different then when you were playing.

hondo
11-06-2003, 01:40 PM
That's not what I hear!

koolcuedude
11-07-2003, 02:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> If you like Meucci, why would you change just because someone has a different opinion, You said you loved it? Today's Meucci's will be no different then when you were playing. <hr /></blockquote>

Man do I agree with that. If you like the cue and are playing good with it, do not follow the crowd. Stay with who brung you to the dance. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

koolcuedude
11-07-2003, 02:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> That's not what I hear! <hr /></blockquote>

Hondo, just about any bodys production cues made 7 or 8 years ago are totally superior to what they are making today. You can say that about most products you buy in the stores as well. The older Meucci's are most definetly better than todays models. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Scott Lee
11-07-2003, 05:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ian:</font><hr> I haven't played in about 5-6 years, but when I was playing Muecci was the brand to have. <hr /></blockquote>

Meucci is no different than any other brand cue. Many amateur poolplayers have sworn by Meucci, because, like yourself, they "loved" the way it played. In the 80's Meucci "hired" several of the top pros, to play with, and promote their cue lines. A few still play with them...but even they usually have other cues that they like, and play with too! The majority of pro players, imo, play with a particular brand of cuestick because either they are PAID to play with it, or the cue was GIVEN to them.

There are just as many other amateurs who SWEAR by McDermott, Viking, Huebler and other production cues, as THE cue to own...either 'back when' or now. Still more, frequently more knowledgable, or advanced players, prefer to have 'custom' cues made specifically for them...either with particular specifications, and/or certain types of woods and inlays. Meucci advocates are no more, nor less well known than other brands...however, Meucci seems like they have ADVERTISED a heck of a LOT more than most of the others (a thumbs up sign that advertising works...LOL)!

I will tell you, from a professional touring instructor's perspective...when someone asks me what kind cue I play with, 9 times out of 10, they ask innocently, "Is that a Meucci?" LOL BTW, I play with a $4000 custom ivory/ebony Samsara. No knowledgeable player could confuse my cue with a Meucci! To be completely fair, my very first cue, from 30 years ago was a Meucci. This was before Bob even put his name on the cues. That was the ONLY one I ever owned (I didn't care for the way it played, but it was all that was available to me back then, and it was cheap), and I still have it today! I was ignorant of legendary cuemakers of the time, including Balabushka, Szamboti, and Ginacue, among others! However, I bought a Balabushka from George, right before he died, for $200, including a case...and played with it for 17 yrs., before selling it and making (I thought) an astounding 2000% profit! LOL Now those same cues sell easily for 3-5x what I sold mine for, 12 years ago! Production cues, like Meucci, McDermott, Viking, Heubler, etc., have not increased as significantly in value, overall (unless they were very limited editions or custom designs)...and nothing like the older 'custom' cuemaker's magic wands!

Bottom line? Popcorn and Koolcuedude said it all! Why change if you like the cue? IMO, the quality of MOST manufactured cues has gone downhill drastically from 10-20 years ago. Seems to me, to be mostly a lack of attention to detail and/or service. However, there has been a tremendous surge of literally hundreds of 'local' cuemakers to surface, who make many great cues, both plain and fancy. We have a few who post here. One cuemaker, from Illinois, BLACKHEART, makes cues of all descriptions and price ranges...and many here have loved the way his cues look and play! Most serious players today usually own, and/or play with, more than one cue, and often more than just one brand. There are many players here on this board who have a half dozen or more different pool cues (myself included)...and love them all! You only need a new cue, if you WANT a new cue. Ownership of a particular brand of cuestick is extremely subjective. Ask 10 different poolplayers what their favorite cue is, and most likely you'll get 10 different answers. There are many threads in the CCB archives to document this phenomenon. Hope this helps...

Scott Lee

bluewolf
11-07-2003, 06:44 AM
I have heard people here talk about all of the cues they own. I guess some people collect them. Once I get my new cue, I am hoping to sell all of the others except for my original inexpensive blackheart, and the used falcon somone is selling me for my daughter. I really hate having all these cues around that never get used. It takes up space when someone else could be using it.

WW does not like to give up cues. I have one I used when I first started playing which would be nice for a beginner, only. I hope someday to find a beginner, just picked up a cue beginner that can benefit from it.

I am not sure if this is true, but someone told me that some of the production cues, say 10 or so years old are not as back weighted as many of the ones coming out today.

Laura

SecaucusFats
11-07-2003, 09:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ian:</font><hr> I haven't played in about 5-6 years, but when I was playing Muecci was the brand to have. I used a HOF6 I think, the city lights cue, and loved it. Now everyone is saying Viking or McDermott or various other brands. What brand would you guys recommend to someone who was decent but hasn't played in a few years? <hr /></blockquote>

I have an 8 yr old Meucci "City Lights" a.k.a "Road Agent cue. It is in very good condition and hits and plays quite nicely. This cue has seen thousands of hours at the table, good nights, bad nights, in everything from run down dive bars to some of the best poolrooms in the North East. The cue has been dropped or fallen a dozen or more times on all manner of flooring, it's been doused with beer during 4 back-to-back league championship celebrations, and it still looks great, plays great, and is solid. It came with 2 shafts and a Le Pro tip. I have had the tips changed on both shafts 4 times my current tips are Hercules MH. I'm holding on to it. No reason it shouldn't hold up for many more years. My advice is follow your heart, don't let others..well intentioned as they may be..keep you from going back and capturing some of that old magic. Shop around, keep your eyes open and don't forget to hit the pawnshops (ya never know)and when you come across an 8 to 10 yr old Meucci "City Lights" in primo condition --BUY IT! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Secaucus Fats

ian
11-08-2003, 08:19 AM
I am new here so if this isn't a buy/ sell board let me know, but I am thinking you just put your city lights up for sale. How much do you want?

Harold Acosta
11-08-2003, 12:58 PM
Visit this website. They have several Meucci's at good prices.

http://www.budgetcues.com/lagente.htm

Harold Acosta
11-08-2003, 01:07 PM
Here's another Meucci I found at Budget cues:

http://www.budgetcues.com/meucci-gem-cue.htm

SecaucusFats
11-08-2003, 05:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ian:</font><hr> I am new here so if this isn't a buy/ sell board let me know, but I am thinking you just put your city lights up for sale. How much do you want? <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry if I gave you that impression, (although I did say that I am holding on to it), but it's not for sale.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Secaucus Fats

Rick the stick
11-08-2003, 05:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote ian:</font><hr> I am new here so if this i

I play with a power piston II, and I cannot understand why everyone on the boards beats up on this cue so bad. Most of it is, oh bite my tounge, somebody else fill the rest in. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
11-09-2003, 08:32 AM
I just purchased a 10 year old falcon in very good condition for our daughter to use. It is very nicely balanced,slightly front balance.

Seems like many of the production cues are getting more back balance and you cannot tell from the catalog or website. If you do not want a back balance, you have to talk to people here and listen to what they say.

Do you still have that cue?

If your older meucci has the balance you like, plays well, why buy something else?

Laura