PDA

View Full Version : Scott Lee students. 13 ball drill.

cycopath
11-06-2003, 02:32 PM
How many of you can run the 13 ball drill out consistently?

I still haven't done it. I keep getting within a couple of balls then flub up. My step brother claims he has ran in out three times straight but I don't believe him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UWPoolGod
11-06-2003, 02:38 PM
I don't know it.

When I was starting a good player told me to do this one until I could beat a ghost player in a race to 7. You miss, you lose. Pretty good for position, especially down to the last few balls.

START(
%AD8E1%BY4Z4%CO3I6%DO4U6%EO2O2%F[3N8%Gg6O1%Ha5D3%Ir5H9%PD5L1

)END

Kato
11-06-2003, 03:03 PM
Shame on me for not doing Scott's drills. I did it 2 times (successfully) and haven't done it for months. I'm still desperately trying to work on my pace, keep my heart rate down, and pause at the cue ball for 2 seconds /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kato~~~a very bad Scott Lee student /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

ras314
11-06-2003, 03:22 PM
Is the 13 ball drill the one with the balls in rows at one end of the table? If so my results are similar to yours but I seldom can get to a pool hall. The drill with balls on the rail at the diamonds I haven't come very close to finishing.

I'm just too cheap to try these drills much on a coin table.

Billy
11-06-2003, 03:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> How many of you can run the 13 ball drill out consistently?

I still haven't done it. I keep getting within a couple of balls then flub up. My step brother claims he has ran in out three times straight but I don't believe him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

not quite sure how this ploy works but I'm assuming that the 13 ball drill was of no charge if you put Scott's name on the header but the rest of the lesson was the normal ccb
rate?

just tryin' to figure out his normal charges,his high end fees or what is actually free when he's doing the CCB thingy

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kato
11-06-2003, 03:40 PM
You do actually have to give Scott money to teach you. That's his job and he does it well. He is extremely fair and well worth it.

Kato

cycopath
11-06-2003, 04:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr>not quite sure how this ploy works but I'm assuming that the 13 ball drill was of no charge if you put Scott's name on the header but the rest of the lesson was the normal ccb
rate?
<hr /></blockquote>

I put Scott's name in the Subject line because this thread is dealing with former students of his. There's really no reason for anyone else to view the thread as they don't know what the drill is.

tateuts
11-06-2003, 04:38 PM
Billy is just another of Fast Larry's dull personas (yawn).

Chris

ras314
11-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Scott's drill is somewhat similar. Rules are you can't miss, play combos, banks, or hit another ball other than the ball you sink. Looks a heck of a lot easier than it is.

Billy
11-06-2003, 05:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr>not quite sure how this ploy works but I'm assuming that the 13 ball drill was of no charge if you put Scott's name on the header but the rest of the lesson was the normal ccb
rate?
<hr /></blockquote>

I put Scott's name in the Subject line because this thread is dealing with former students of his. There's really no reason for anyone else to view the thread as they don't know what the drill is. <hr /></blockquote>

sorry,didn't realize an established student-instructor relationship was needed to open the thread.should have known better

not a student of Scott Lee's ccb school,I will then only imagine the difficulty of the 13 ball drill

hope you're playing well

bell
11-06-2003, 06:28 PM
I am a Scott Lee student. My game has improved slow but steady. I have never completed the drill but have come within three balls. I keep trying.

Billy
11-06-2003, 06:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bell:</font><hr> I am a Scott Lee student. My game has improved slow but steady. I have never completed the drill but have come within three balls. I keep trying. <hr /></blockquote>

sorry to keep butting in /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

thinking your instructor would agree,persistence is a good thing

jmo

bluewolf
11-07-2003, 06:58 AM
In some ways I am a bad scott lee student too. I practiced the stroke etc that he taught me everyday for months, and the lag and the draw.

At the time, the thirteen ball drill was too confusing to me. When I did practice it, I make up my own with about seven balls. Thirteen was too many and balls too close together for me. It seems like success in this drill requires very good position skills.WW could do it, but I just was not there yet.

Laura

eg8r
11-07-2003, 07:04 AM
Not me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have not had the time lately to even practice much less play. The videotaped lesson is the main reason why I have no problem paying for lessons with Scott. I know that I don't get much table time. If I know that I will be practicing, I will watch the tape, to make sure I concentrate on the things we went over and then I head out to practice. I may not play for another week or 2, so I need the tape to remember everything.

eg8r

Scott Lee
11-07-2003, 07:34 AM
Billy...There is NO big secret here! Anything I do, or suggest, as an instructor, is available, for free, right here on the Internet. My fees are no secret either, and are posted on my website. Click on my name and you'll find access to that site. Like Eg8r said, people CHOOSE to hire me...I don't troll the poolrooms looking for work! I also happen to be one of very few professional instructors who travel the country, and will often come right to your door!

Most people seek me out personally, for the one-to-one analysis of their game. I videotape 99% of my lessons, as a review tool, for the benefit of my students. This is also called for, as a requirement of BCA Certified instructors. Videotape analysis ups the learning curve significantly more quickly, and the more you study, the sooner you can improve the quality of your stroke...which is the cornerstone to a more consistent game. Many of my students posted here the truth...that they have been given the "tools", but lacked in persistence, time management, or many other reasons why they might have trouble with these exercises. By themselves, they are not difficult, provided that you practice them the right way. Skipping steps, and inconsistent practice make quick and permanent improvement that much more difficult to achieve.

I did not invent this "drill". It has been around for many, many years, and used by many instructors. Using just one quarter of the pool table (typically the foot end, from the foot spot to the end rail), align 13 object balls in a "grid" pattern, where the balls sit on the axis corners of each grid. Near the rails, each ball sits 1 inch (a half ball) off of the rail, opposite the diamond or sites. The idea is to take ball in hand, and run off all 13 shots without missing. You may shoot the OB's in ANY pocket, in any order...and you can change your mind, at any time. The other indicators, that make this exercise marginally difficult, are, as ras314 described, you may not bank any shots; no caroms, kisses, or kicks allowed; and MOST important, you may not TOUCH another object ball with the CB, other than the ball you are shooting. The principle objective of this exercise (which is the last, and most difficult, in a series of 5 drills), is to learn excellent CB control, and prepare an ongoing strategy plan, by playing 3rd ball position on each shot, until they are all off the table. All of the exercises I teach are inclusive of a strong knowledge of fundamentals, and perfecting your timing through a deliberate, and consistent, pre-shot routine.

Would one of my students please post the wei link, and a diagram of this drill for the benefit of everyone? I'm still not clear on how to get get the wei pool table into a post! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee

bluewolf
11-07-2003, 07:40 AM
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%An7H0%Bk8Y5%C[7B8%Dj7K6%Eo5N7%F[6B0%GC1C0%Ho3V4%Ij1E4%Jk0R1
%K[3\8%L[5B1%Mg5O6%NB6\2%OC0C2%P^4P7
)END

This is not your drill Scott, just a variation of it for people like me who do not yet have the cue ball control for drills like yours. I do not always get this one either because I am just now getting better on position. In a game, if I can do position on three then leave decent on the 4th and so on, that is about the best I can do right now. But when I can do that, the balls are not usually as close as your 13 balls.

You go to the link. Line up your 13 balls, hit copy, go back to your post, hit paste, and the wei language will show up.

Laura

ras314
11-07-2003, 07:50 AM
Scott's 13 ball drill. All balls should be in line.

START(
%AN7O5%BN8Z5%CD2I1%DN8D3%EI0U8%FI0O5%GH8I4%HN6I3%I N8U5%JH5D5
%KD1V0%LD2O7%MH8Z5%PL1L4
)END

Scott Lee
11-07-2003, 07:58 AM
Thanks Roy, and Laura!

ras314
11-07-2003, 08:02 AM
Hey, wait till they try the next drill. That first shot gives me fits!

cycopath
11-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Also it should be explained to anyone that would like to try the drill that the cue ball starts in box A for right handed folks and box B for left handed peeps.

I misunderstood that initially during my lesson.

START(
%AN7O5%BN8Z5%CD2I1%DN8D3%EI0U8%FH6O5%GH7I2%HN6I3%I N8U5%JH5D5
%KD1V0%LD2O7%MH8Z5%QK3K2%RJ9Q8
)END

Scott Lee
11-07-2003, 10:23 AM
Thanks cycopath...This, as you recall, is strictly for "ease of reach" on the first ball-in-hand shot!

Scott

DennyS
11-07-2003, 01:40 PM
Just wanted to let others know that Scott is as excellant Instructor and is highly respected by me and other Instructors around the country. Keep up the great work Scott!

arthur
11-07-2003, 06:49 PM
I can not believe you are talkin bout this drill. since scott came by the house a few years back I have been doing this drill ALLmost daily. my best is 4 in a row complete. but 2 times is normal.I also like the Bucky Bell 6 ball drill.if I complete these drills only then can I start to play games.this has really picked up my level of play.... O by the way scott what happened to the Defiance College stop I really miss it. good health all.

Scott Lee
11-08-2003, 04:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote arthur:</font><hr> O by the way scott what happened to the Defiance College stop I really miss it. good health all. <hr /></blockquote>

Jeff...Good to hear from you too! My contact at Defiance moved on to another school near Philly, and the successive people have not had any interest in pool! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'll let you know if things change.

Scott Lee

dmgwalsh
11-08-2003, 05:37 AM
I, too am a student and try this drill most days. Yesterday, i did it on the first try. Usually, I do it within about three tries. My recollection is that Scott said to try it no more than 5 times at one session and to stop whan you do all thirteen balls once.

Scott, in two lessons gave me plenty to work on. My stroke is a bit better, but not yet where I want it to be. I'd recommend him for anyone interested in improving his or her stroke. Dennis

Alfie
11-08-2003, 09:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote arthur:</font><hr> I also like the Bucky Bell 6 ball drill.<hr /></blockquote>Wei table it, please.

arthur
11-08-2003, 10:21 PM
I can't do that will try to use words. take 1 ball place on rack spot/dot where the 1 ball would be if racked for 9 ball.2 ball goes headstring center. 3ball goes 1 diamond behind 1 ball &lt;center&gt;.4 ball 1 diamond behind 2 ball &lt;also center&gt;. 5 ball goes 1 diamond behind the 3 ball that puts it on the foot rail, I put it 3/8" off rail make it a mite tougher.6 ball oposite end of table from the 5 ball 1 diamond behind the 4 ball... shoot in order like 9 ball,run out see if you can do more than 1 time in a row.see what you can learn ...good health all... arthur

RedHell
11-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Like this I guess...

START(
%AN9O4%Bg6O6%CI0O5%Dm6O4%EC8O6%Fr7O3%Pg9V9

)END

The Rhino Chaser
11-11-2003, 01:10 PM
I have completed all of Scott's drill's succesfully. The 13 ball drill is one of my favorites and I do the drill quite a bit when I'm practicing. As for this drill I also do the drill starting on a different balls than the one Scott suggests to make it tougher. The hardest drill for me is the 9 ball straight in stop shot drill. I have a tendency not to line the shot up.

dmgwalsh
11-11-2003, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote The Rhino Chaser:</font><hr> The hardest drill for me is the 9 ball straight in stop shot drill. I have a tendency not to line the shot up. <hr /></blockquote>

I know what you mean. When Scott saw me for my second lesson, he made me line it up right. I still sometimes lose concentration, especially on the last one.

cycopath
11-11-2003, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote The Rhino Chaser:</font><hr>The hardest drill for me is the 9 ball straight in stop shot drill. I have a tendency not to line the shot up. <hr /></blockquote>
Isn't that wierd how everyone's different. For me the 9 ball drill is the easiest. But I simply can't master that 13 ball drill. I guess that goes to show I have a hard time making shape rather than not making shots.

SrGoat
11-16-2003, 01:09 AM
can anyone wei this 9ball drill?

really curious

Karatemom
11-16-2003, 01:15 AM
START(
%AN7O5%CC8O4%EN8U4%FH7O3%GH6H8%HN8H8%IH8U7%JO0C9%K C8V0%LC7I0
%MO0Z9%NH8Z9%OH7D0%PM0K0%QJ7K0%RJ7Q7
)END

If you're right handed, start with the cb in Box A, if you're left, Box B. Like said before, no combos or caroms, and no touching another ob with the cb. It is also a good idea to set a 3 ball pattern for yourself as you go.

HTH,

Heide

SrGoat
11-16-2003, 01:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> START(
%AN7O5%CC8O4%EN8U4%FH7O3%GH6H8%HN8H8%IH8U7%JO0C9%K C8V0%LC7I0
%MO0Z9%NH8Z9%OH7D0%PM0K0%QJ7K0%RJ7Q7
)END

If you're right handed, start with the cb in Box A, if you're left, Box B. Like said before, no combos or caroms, and no touching another ob with the cb. It is also a good idea to set a 3 ball pattern for yourself as you go.

HTH,

Heide <hr /></blockquote>

i'm sorry i meant the 9 ball stop shot drill
can anyone wei that?

TIA /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dmgwalsh
11-16-2003, 05:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SrGoat:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>

i'm sorry i meant the 9 ball stop shot drill
can anyone wei that?

TIA /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

START(
%AV5D5%BV5M5%Ct7\4%DV4L0%EV6F6%FV8Q0%GW1R7%HV4H4%I V6J3%JB9B6
%K[4\5%LC0[9%MW0O3%NB4\1%OB7B4%PO2D7
)END

I think this is it. You just take ball in hand about a foot from the object ball. Center ball hit. lag speed stroke. cue ball stops dead. Ball in hand after evcry stroke. I'm trying to do 27 every day. 3 times nine without missing. the shots are all pretty easy. You just have to not lose focus and also work on a smooth stroke with a couple second pause before the last backstroke. Dennis

Scott Lee
11-17-2003, 03:07 PM
START(
%AV5D5%BV5M5%Ct7\4%DV4L0%EV6F6%FV8Q0%GW1R7%HV4H4%I V6J3%JB9B6
%K[4\5%LC0[9%MW0O3%NB4\1%OB7B4%PO2D7
)END

This is the correct way to set up the stop shot exercise.
Take ball in hand for each shot. Shot with a lag speed stroke, so the the CB stops dead (with a centerball hit), and the OB rolls off the end of the pocket. Key is the start over, if you miss. Start with 9, and continue, as you are able, to complete 3 sets of 9 balls. Excellent exercise for concentration and and focus.

Scott Lee