PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping a Cue - Any tips?

Bassn7
11-06-2003, 07:56 PM
I've got an old cue with half the Irish Linen spooled off.I'm going to re-wrap the butt. Any tips for doing this by hand? Thanks for any help.

Rick the stick
11-06-2003, 10:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> I've got an old cue with half the Irish Linen spooled off.I'm going to re-wrap the butt. Any tips for doing this by hand? Thanks for any help. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi this is Rickie: I can help, take your cue to a cue repair professional. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bassn7
11-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Thanks for not helping out. Obviously I could have someone else do it. The question was . . . how do "I" do it. I actually already completed the project. I hand wrapped it one row at a time and superglued it down. Then I used an iron to re-flatten the wax on the wrap. Looks perfect.

tateuts
11-07-2003, 12:28 AM
Well, Bassn7, you just got a dose of Fast Larry, the self proclaimed "golden boy". We just call him "the golden butthole" around here. He's a pool teacher.

Makes you want to go right out and take a lesson from the guy, huh?

Chris

Rick the stick
11-07-2003, 01:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Well, Bassn7, you just got a dose of Fast Larry, the self proclaimed "golden boy". We just call him "the golden butthole" around here. He's a pool teacher.

Here is the lesson bh, learn it well, dont work on your own cue, do not do your own tips, go to a professional for this. Having a cue play perfect is vital. I stand by that advice, bh.
By the way, I do not do my cues either, I go to a pro for that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey bh, you want a lesson, call up the golden boy, he gives them away free, just post I just got my lesson from you know who and it was great. Only in America, is this a great country or what? Free, real teachers cant fade free, they actually charge students for lessons. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick the stick
11-07-2003, 01:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Well, Bassn7, you just got a dose of Fast Larry, the self proclaimed "golden boy". We just call him "the golden butthole" around here. He's a pool teacher.

Yo, I am not Fast, but if you want a real does of him, he will be in Burbank all week during the week of December 9th filming two prime time national TV shows in front of live audiences of a thousand people. CBS studio and Warner Brothers. Send him an email, he will give you a lesson while he's out there and teach you to run 3 friggin balls. It ain't free dude. Learning how to play pool costs money and if you think you are going to get it off of this board free you are looking for diamonds in the desert. Hasta La Vista, Baby

Chris <hr /></blockquote>
Why not, you might learn something???????????? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick the stick
11-07-2003, 01:52 AM

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

You see the reason this guy went off, is he is one of the turkeys who took the free lesson and posted the phoney I think it's great for the payoff. He is now trying to cover his butt by attacking those who expose this. It's a long list, you would be best to just shut your mouth on this, we can name other names if you want to. I am trying to be nice and just let this ride, but you are attacking me and that is not a cool thing to do dude. Let it ride, it was a cool idea, it conned a lot of people, you got a freebie from it, what the hell. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
11-07-2003, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rick the stick:</font><hr>

..I am trying to be nice ...<hr /></blockquote>

I suggest you try harder /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BLACKHEART
11-07-2003, 09:40 AM
The reason it's best done by a pro, is because if you spin the Q, using a lathe, you can put pressure on the string &amp; that will guarantee a tight fitting wrap. When the cool dry days of winter come the wrap will tend to loosen up. Since the linen string doesn't come with "WAX" on it I'm wondering, what wax you are referring to? How did you fasten the ends?...JER

Bassn7
11-07-2003, 10:34 AM
My wrap process: I had an assistant hold the wooden rod I had spooled the loose linen onto. As I pulled and slowly turned the wrap, he released line equally slow. Every third wrap I applied 'super glue gel' to the butt and wrapped over it. At the end I did the same and then cut off an excess 1/2 inch that wasn't glued down. The Linen has a "waxy" coating on it that just layed flat when heated. The cue looks great.

Johnny_batters
11-07-2003, 11:23 AM
How much would it cost to have a professional wrap it?

cycopath
11-07-2003, 11:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Johnny_batters:</font><hr> How much would it cost to have a professional wrap it? <hr /></blockquote> I just had a cue rewrapped by Proficient Billiards, the cost was $35 without return shipping. They did an excellent job.

It sounds like to me Bassn7 took a lot of time and care in doing his own wrap. Sometimes it's worth the headaches to do it yourself, just so you can say, "I did myself". Experience has to start somewhere. WTG Bassn7!

pooltchr
11-07-2003, 01:42 PM
I charge $35 to do a linen wrap. I suspect that's about average. Takes me about an hour from start to finish. I usually tuck and pull the ends through about the last half inch of the wrap. I prefer that method over the old method of drilling a hole, and breaking off the end of a toothpick to hold the ends down. Looks much neater, and I have yet to have one come back that came loose.

tateuts
11-07-2003, 03:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rick the stick:</font><hr> Yo, I am not Fast, but if you want a real does of him, he will be in Burbank all week during the week of December 9th filming two prime time national TV shows in front of live audiences of a thousand people. CBS studio and Warner Brothers. Send him an email, he will give you a lesson while he's out there and teach you to run 3 friggin balls. It ain't free dude. Learning how to play pool costs money and if you think you are going to get it off of this board free you are looking for diamonds in the desert. Hasta La Vista, Baby

<hr /></blockquote>

Larry,

You play nine-ball or straight pool, right? Bring your stick and some cash to Burbank. I'll give you a lesson. You'll have two golden buttholes when I'm done with you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

wolfdancer
11-07-2003, 03:34 PM
great line!!!! lol

wolfdancer
11-07-2003, 03:38 PM
I think you should have spent the $35 or so, to have it done right. Admire your ingenuity though

BLACKHEART
11-07-2003, 05:23 PM
I charge $30 for a wrap...JER