PDA

View Full Version : Scott Lee Students: 15 ball drill

ras314
11-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Anybody that does this drill consisently I don't want to gamble with. In fact anyone that does it once in a while is over my level.
START(
%AH5C9%BH9Z9%CC6I0%DN6C7%Em8[0%Fr9O7%Ga2C9%Hm9C9%IU3Z9%JU0C8
%KC7V3%LC6O7%Ma5[0%Nr9H9%Os0V0%Pg5O5%WJ2C9%Xf6O5%YJ2S1%ZI1C6
%eB5b3
)END

If you shoot to the left the long rail extra ball will be on the left. 4 ball in this case.

Rules are you can't kiss into another ball, no banks or kicks, no misses. And no jumps or combinations. Required first shot is shown, but any position for cb is ok as long as a ball isn't hit. Oh, and the idea is to play 3 balls ahead as in the 13 ball drill. Man does it make me think and attempt to use a controlled stroke. Will break you of any habit of hitting too hard all the time.

Scott I hope this is mostly right, juke box drowned out some of what you said.

Maybe percentage of completions of these drills could be used for a handicap rating in CCB111? Nah, too many zeros.

UWPoolGod
11-07-2003, 12:54 PM
I have seen this before but never tried it myself...does it matter what table you do it on? I guess on a 9footer you may have more room in between the diamonds for the cueball on cut shots.

I used to do that FARGO game to test myself as well makes you concentrate when you start shooting them in order since they a 2 points a piece. Got up to averaging around 185 for the while I did it. We did a rated tournament at college using this. Every entrant had to play his 10 games each week to get his average. Then we randomized the bracket and for every 30 or so points difference you had to spot a game on the wire. Race to 3, at most it was a 3-1 race. Most people were close so they never got a spot or one game on the wire. Was pretty cool. Less talented players liked it because it gave am a better chance to win that one game..like APA.

ras314
11-07-2003, 01:38 PM
I think it is a little harder on a 7 footer. Good rails and felt are a big help. Scott claims it's always the player, not the table. (not just this drill) Got to disagree with him on that, heck sorry tables are usually my best excuse. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Not familiar with fargo. Have heard of some game played with balls on the rails. Any rating/handicap scheme is going to be open to cheats and squabbles I suspect.

Might work with CCB'ers though, except for a few sour grape types.

UWPoolGod
11-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Here is the link to FARGO...just helps your shot making and concentration because you want to get to a higher score. One early miss can kill it.

http://www.playpool.com/rsbasp/fargo/

Scott Lee
11-08-2003, 05:05 AM
Roy...Close, but the balls on the long rails, are on every other diamond. Then you put the odd ball in between one of the pairs, like you have it. Other than that, it's correct...and difficult! LOL See you Monday!

Again...I didn't invent any of this! It's been around forever. I just like some of these drills better than others, for fine-tuning your stroke!

Scott

dmgwalsh
11-08-2003, 05:50 AM
I've seen this type of drill, but only with 12 balls, every other spot. The extra three make it more difficult, I'm sure. I'll have to give it a shot.

Rich R.
11-08-2003, 07:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Roy...Close, but the balls on the long rails, are on every other diamond. Then you put the odd ball in between one of the pairs, like you have it. <hr /></blockquote>
Scott, is this what you mean?
START(
%AH5C9%BH9Z9%CC6I0%DO2D0%Em6Z9%Fr9O7%Ga2C9%Hn2C7%I U3Z9%JU0C8
%KC7V3%LC6O7%Ma5[0%Nr9H9%Os0V0%Pg5O5%WJ2C9%Xf6O5%YJ2S1%ZI1C6
%eB5b3
)END

Does it matter, which diamond you place the odd ball on?

This drill looks brutal, at least for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ras314
11-08-2003, 09:41 AM
Oops, my bad. Corrected the diagram I think. Believe Rich R has it right.

Last time I tried it on a bar table I had it wrong, didn't finish it then either. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Scott Lee
11-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Rich...Yep, that's it exactly! I usually put the odd ball either where you have it, or on the opposite rail, in the same place. Generally, you place the odd ball on the same side you start with.

Scott

SrGoat
11-17-2003, 02:36 PM
this drill is especially good for cut shots and position. i consistently make 9 or 10 balls.
this is sure a tough one.