anyone want to post a high run in (strait pool) mine was 77

jhendri2
11-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Mine was 115...

FWIW,

Jim

houseman
11-07-2003, 10:02 PM
my high run is 55, and if I would have made the next open the rack shot it would have been 56 and out for the cash, which would have been even better.

Rick the stick
11-08-2003, 12:33 AM
Any club player who runs over 42 balls is doing just great, that is outstanding. Do not compare your self with Sigel, he expects to run a century and everyone watching him expects the same from him. 42 is a strong run for non pro's, very strong. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cueball1950
11-08-2003, 01:45 AM
Mine,,, honestly is about 80 or so. Plenty of 50 and 60 ball runs. Now can you tell me who has the high run on the board at over 300 balls?. ran 70+ on me left handed. Not bad for a right handed player.......................mike

dmgwalsh
11-08-2003, 05:52 AM
Mine is only 27. I've got a long way to go.

Kato
11-08-2003, 06:39 AM
44. Missed a 3 foot straight in shot with a wide open rack. I got very excited and pulled a ridiculous amatuer mistake of not bearing down on every shot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kato

Rich R.
11-08-2003, 06:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> Now can you tell me who has the high run on the board at over 300 balls?. ran 70+ on me left handed. <hr /></blockquote>
My uneducated guess would be #### Leonard. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's bad enough when a player runs a lot of balls on you, playing normally, but when they do it offhanded, that is rubbing salt in the wounds. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My high run was in the upper twenty's somewhere, many years ago. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I always had trouble with the break shots. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

nhp
11-08-2003, 07:56 AM
36 balls, got excited and choked.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-08-2003, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> anyone want to post a high run in (strait pool) <hr /></blockquote>

No. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Even though I haven't been practicing much I have had 2 high runs in the last month or so.

I ran 28 in a league match, which was the high run in the league in the first month of this session. I'm sure it's been bested by now.

I ran 34 at home on an 8' table. That's my high run.

#### leonard
11-08-2003, 11:08 AM
Rich R

I have to take this time to mention by good friend and backer, the Late Ralph Laurella, who owned the poolroom in Hudson NY that was the action capital of the Pool World in the 60s.

The reason he became my backer was when I was playing Poughkeepsie Mel, I switched hands to shoot a shot and he was amazed that he couldn't tell if I was right or left handed. He went on of all the great players that have played here he is the first player that you can't tell what hand is his real hand.
The fun we had on road trips is another story but the funniest/saddest story is when we were in Conn playing, his wife got arrested for bookmaking instead of him.####

Wally_in_Cincy
11-08-2003, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> 44. Missed a 3 foot straight in shot with a wide open rack. I got very excited and pulled a ridiculous amatuer mistake of not bearing down on every shot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

Another interesting question, IMO,is "How did your high run end?"

For me, I got too straight on my break shot. I was only able to break 2 balls out of the rack, with no secondary break shot available.

I think I know how #### and Steve Lipsky will respond..."The game was over, of course" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

In our league, if a guy is on a good run, the opponent will usually rerack the balls and let the shooter keep going, just for grins.

Rich R.
11-08-2003, 11:53 AM
####,
While on the road, did you ever go into a pool room and only play left handed, and then offer someone a game, giving them the advantage, by offering to play right handed? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

#### leonard
11-08-2003, 02:13 PM
The first time I got near the 100 ball mark I made sure to cinch the 100 ball, then I ran out of shots on 101. The fellow that owned Whiteys Pool Room had run 99 twice and was forever jinxed on 99. I just diddn't want to be in the onehole.

He went through torture because he never ran 100.####

Wally_in_Cincy
11-08-2003, 02:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr>
...The fellow that owned Whiteys Pool Room had run 99 twice and was forever jinxed on 99. ...<hr /></blockquote>

Man that's brutal /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That's like almost having sex /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#### leonard
11-08-2003, 02:17 PM
Rich I never tried deception but I let a friend borrow my cue to go hustling and my name was on the Paradise butt and he couldn't get any action because they thought he was me.####

Robert Pirrazzi
11-08-2003, 05:43 PM
I know that that's what Steve Lipsky would say. The first time I ever played Steve he ran something like 80 and out and then he ran the remaining few balls that were left on the table but he got bad on the break shot, probably because he didn't care at this point. So he makes the shot but misses the pack and startsunscrewing his cue. I said why don't you go for some crazy pack shot and hope for the best. He looked at me like this was absurdand said "the run ended when I missed the pack". Only really good players think like this.

Steve Lipsky
11-08-2003, 06:28 PM
Thanks Bob. I remember that game. Are you still playing? I was at the West Side on Thursday, actually.

My high run is 177. I missed when there were 5 balls on the table, and two of them were tied up by a pocket. It was one of those racks where you know when there are about 10 balls left that you are playing it totally wrong, and can't seem to get back in line again. Anyway, I tried to play an object ball to carom off the tied-up balls into the pocket. Missed pretty bad. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyway, as to Mr. Leonard, I just found out we have a mutual friend, who used to play with him about 15 years ago. The phrase, "He could run a hundred whenever he wanted" kept coming up. We are very lucky to have him on this board.

- Steve

Johnny_batters
11-08-2003, 06:44 PM
No, but I know a guy who gives up a spot of shooting with a patch over his left eye. He'll play with one eye. But it turns out the guy only has one eye (the right one) the left eye is a glass eye. You wouldn't believe how many suckers fall for that one.

Robert Pirrazzi
11-08-2003, 08:44 PM
Hi Steve, I'm not playing as much as I used to. Only about two nights a week, usually very late. Bob

Rick the stick
11-08-2003, 10:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> ####,
While on the road, did you ever go into a pool room and only play left handed, and then offer someone a game, giving them the advantage, by offering to play right handed? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Titanic Thompson made most of his money on the golf course during the day. He would wiggle into a country club with fat cats, get into a foursome, and get a money game going. He would beat them all usually shooting in the mid 70s, usually a 77 beats most club players who are in the mid 80's. He played left handed. He would then offer them a chance to get their money back, play me another 9 double or nothing, and I'll reverse and play off the other side to give you a chance. Yes, you got it, he was right handed and a scratch player right handed. He could lay down a 72 on you any time any place.

He would come into the pool hall that night and run the same game. I have a zillion stories of this guy, the ultimate pool and golf hustler of all time, a real con man. I met him, he was from my native state of Missouri.
Too bad you wont get to hear the stories, 7 gets you 11 I'll be hasta la vista Monday morning and outta here. Oh well, all I'll say is not again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cueball1950
11-08-2003, 11:11 PM
Hi Butch, You know i know Eddie White. Well i kept goading eddie to play me some straight pool for the longest time. Finally he said to me. Time to shut you up. I said, but eddie, you have not hit a ball in 10 years. or so i thought when i hung out at whities. I never saw him hit a ball. Anyway. i am all excited. maybe 16 or 17 at the time. And we play a 50 point game. I break and did nothing but rack for the next 1/2 hour. never got a shot. Our bet was that i had to sweep the floor if i lost. and you know how big that place was...lol But him and carl were sure as hell 2 of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. carl got me into 3 cushion as a matter of fact. we would play for about 3 hours a day along with tony george...AAAHHHHH the good olde days....................................mike

JDB
11-09-2003, 02:44 AM
I haven't played straight pool much, probably less than 10 times in my life, but my high run is 34... my miss was on a long straight in shot where I had to draw the cue back into the pack... I got the breakout but rattled the shot.

Gerry
11-09-2003, 07:01 AM
My high run is 106, Had to play safe after making the break ball and getting jammed on the side of the rack (we were gambling, and I was'nt about to take a flier and lose the bet for a higher run. Also I ran a nice 53 at "The Housemans" excelent room last week after not playing for a year and a half, I was happy. Hey Mick, I'm sitting here waisting time til your tourny starts today!. Oh yeah, I put a 57 on that triple shimmed Gold Crown at Classics yesterday. Too bad I was'nt playing anyone so it does'nt count as Andy would say:).....Later....Gerry.

Rich R.
11-09-2003, 07:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Rich I never tried deception but I let a friend borrow my cue to go hustling and my name was on the Paradise butt and he couldn't get any action because they thought he was me.#### <hr /></blockquote>
Thanks ####. I don't know why I even asked. Like a lawyer, I think I already new the answer, before I asked the question. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

daviddjmp
11-09-2003, 11:20 AM
When I was in college, I ran 47 in the semi finals of the straight pool tournament. I won that tournament, sold both my cues and gave up the game because I had spent so much time playing pool and so little time studying :-). I didnt' play for about 25 years and took up the game again when my company moved their corporate offices next to a Pool Hall. My high run after playing about 9 months is only about 25. I play more consistently now, but I haven't really put together a decent run. Soon, I hope-

Rick the stick
11-09-2003, 12:32 PM
Mike Sigel: On November 1999, billiard digest ranked the top 100 greatest players and Mike Sigel was # 5 on the list. Some quotes from that article. Not since Willie Mosconi in the 40's had a player so dominated a decade as Mike did the 80's. He was know as Mr. final. He won 85 of 95 tourneys in which he reached the final match. He is the greatest living player alive today. He was the master of straight pool and 9 ball. He has won one pocket tourneys and over 100 tournaments overall.

At age 19 he ran 339 balls. He won his first world 14.1 title at age 27 in 1979 and won again in 81 &amp; 87. At the 89 US Open he went 150 and out on Jim Rempe. At the 92 US Open he went 150 and out on Mike Zuglan from the break. The one inning out remains a US Open record and was perhaps the most perfect 150 run every recorded on film. Steve Mizerak seeing it said Mike is the greatest player on earth. When 9 ball took over Mike won more 9 ball titles, 27 in the 1980's than any other player.

There are a lot of new players on the boards who are not aware of the position Mr. Sigel holds in the game. Those who have said some unkind things about him IMHO should read the above and then show our greatest player alive today more respect.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-10-2003, 08:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
...I ran 28 in a league match, which was the high run in the league in the first month of this session. I'm sure it's been bested by now....<hr /></blockquote>

My prediction was correct. Yesterday I was tied with a guy 59-59. He ran 41 and out. Sigh..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

#### leonard
11-10-2003, 08:28 AM
Mike my favorite Whiteys story was playing on the table by the desk and Andy Bakerian walked in and went behind the desk. A NO No in Whiteys, grabbed the billiard balls and walked over to the table.

I gave Whitey a look and he walked next to me and said that is Ongie he helps me recover the tables. Then he said he put all nine balls in on the break on the table your playing on.

My second was reading the Miami Herald sports article written by Troy Native Steve Wulf on the Mosconi/Rex Williams pool match at Jackie Gleasons Inverrary Golf CLub. The article started off with the first impression Steve had of Whitey's Pool Room. It started with him walking up 3 flights of stairs, then turning to face 20 or so tables in a Grand Ballroom with high fancied metal ceilings and a balcony looking over the room. ####

DSAPOLIS
11-12-2003, 01:41 PM
My official high run is 206, which occurred in 2000. I've hit the century countless times, my most memorable being a 122 against the late Cowboy Jimmy Moore. I was proud of myself, and Cowboy complimented me on a "fine run" and then proceed to run 125 and out. What made matters worse was that he was like 75 years old, and what looked like a clinic to me, was merely a warm up for him.

Steve Lipsky
11-12-2003, 01:57 PM
Hey Dave. Nice to see you posting again!

- Steve

Rod
11-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Good to see a message from you Dave, hope your feeling better.

My high run is in at 154. I had a short lived pool career especially 14-1. I played that seriously for about two years. On the road saw little 14-1 action. After not playing for years I took pool back up in 1992. I need to stay with something untill I get it right. ha ha With my eyes I don't see any real high runs in the future.

Your post reminded me when I played Joe Balsis. He run 6 and got into trouble. After him missing what I thought was a flyer, I run 81. He didn't struggle running 119 and out. Jimmy Moore was there watching who happens to be one of my all time heros of the game.

Rod