PDA

View Full Version : Tip Replacement: finishing the edge.

JimS
11-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Had to install a new tip in my play cue tonight. All went well except the last step...with which I am not satisfied.

The edge is "speckled" with white marks. I don't want to use a black marker as I like the polished brown leather but I can't get the white marks out of the edge. I've tried spit and then lighter fluid. No luck.

Any ideas? Ahpreeesheeateit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rod
11-07-2003, 09:53 PM
Jim,

Is something wrong with the tip? Just curious how did you finish the edge of the tip? When I did them by hand I used a 1" wide fingernail file board from wallgreens. Taping off the ferrule to protect it, just in case. They come in several grits so a nice finish can be obtained. A little spit shine at the end. Sometimes there not always dark all the way around but after extended use it will be.

Rod

Fleece3
11-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Wet the edge of the tip, all the way around, then take a match book cover..Using the inside of the cover, wrap it around the tip, hold it and twist the shaft back and forth really fast for several seconds. That should do it. It also harden the tip sides to protect against mushrooming.

JimS
11-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Nothing wrong w/the tip that I know of Rod. I didn't think about the fingernail emery board....and I've got a few of'm in the drawer too. It's a layered tip and and I think that's why the color is so un-uniform.

After I posted I thought about leather dye. I had some brown leather dye so I put some on a Q tip and that did the trick..nice and uniformly brown and burnished to a sheen. Happy camper here.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for the interest.

I took your advise re: the power draw shots too and started working on stroke techinque...proper pause, follow thru and stay down... for this week. For some reason I'm finding myself pausing at the back of the stroke ala Buddy Hall and I was never able to to do that before....not with any accuracy. This time out it just sorta started happening. I like it. Things seem to be falling together nicely this time. Everything CC taught me last year is comeing back quickly. Most importantly I'm having fun!!!!

Sid_Vicious
11-08-2003, 09:25 AM
Jim...Spiderman taught me a super technique with the sides involving super glue. We both have those crutch tip tools for spinning shafts with a drill motor, and after the install of the tip it gets spun, spit upon and burnished while spinning using a crisp 1 dollar bill. Then apply a piece of scotch tape to the edge of the new tip's base where it meets the ferrule or pad(if you have one) leaving a tab on the bottom end of the tape for easy finger picking at removal, apply SG to a scrap piece of plastic bag(I use grocery bag material), spin the shaft in a variable drill and apply the SG to the side walls. Stop and QUICKLY remove the tape. Then take some fine sand paper(I use glass polisher) and spin & polish the sidewall. The SG come to being like a fine, deep furniture finish, a piece of art IMO. Neat thing about this is that you can still follow up on other shafts for the same look. It also strengthens the sidewalls, plus it makes a Moori install look like a thing of beauty. Just be very carefull with the SG and in discarding the tape/applying material. You gotta have a spinner...sid

PS, If SG gets on the crown a bit, that's ok. You can reshape that and take it off. It's really easy once you do it a time or two. sv