PDA

View Full Version : We lost a great player

pooltchr
11-07-2003, 10:01 PM
I am sad to say that one of the best one pocket players around this area passed away tonight. Clyde McKinney has been around the pool world for many years. A man who played with the likes of Willie Jopling was good enough to share some of his knowledge with me, teaching me a small bit of what he knew about the game. I only wish I could have been a better student. Players around Charlotte know the kindly white haired gentleman (Yes, he was a true gentleman)who was a regular in pool halls all around town. As fate would have it, he was reportedly bent over the table in a local pool room making a shot when he apparently suffered a heart attack. I personally am going to miss him as a player, and opponent, and most of all as a friend. I am going to dedicate our tournament this weekend to Clyde. The pool world lost a good one tonight.

Scott Lee
11-08-2003, 04:48 AM
Steve...Just goes to show ya how fast we can go! Clyde seemed just fine, when I met him last summer! Sad to hear of his passing!

Scott

PQQLK9
11-08-2003, 10:48 AM
WOW... I'm simply devastated to hear about Clyde. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. I have played one pocket with Clyde and he would call me regulary for games. I was talking to him last week at Players.
Steve will you call me concerning the arangements at 704-517-2265. I also have Clyde's number if you need it.
Thanks, Nick

pooltchr
11-09-2003, 03:52 PM
Nick,
I've been trying to find out myself. Nothing in the paper this morning. If you hear something call me 980 253-0211.
Thanks
Steve

PQQLK9
11-10-2003, 07:46 AM
Clyde Evans McKinney

Clyde Evans McKinney
Mr. McKinney, 78, of Charlotte, died Friday, November 7, 2003, at Presbyterian Hospital. Clyde was born November 17, 1924 in Cleveland County, NC to the late Elmer and Nettie Green McKinney. He grew up on Washington St., and graduated from Shelby High School and the University of Colorado. Clyde was a US Army Air Corps Veteran of WWII, flying the B-29 while in service. For many years he owned Clyde E. McKinney Associates and loved to shoot pool.
Survivors include his son, Michael Evans McKinney and wife Beth of Davidson, NC, daughters, Karen M. Marrow and husband Jim of Ann Arbor, MI and Brenda McKinney of Tacoma, WA, sister, Shirley M. Owen of Black Mountain, NC, and six grandchildren.
A memorial service will be held 1:00 p.m., Tuesday, November 11, 2003, in the Chapel at Raymer Funeral Home. The family will receive friends following the memorial service.
Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, 500 E. Morehead St., Suite 211, Charlotte, NC 28202.
Raymer Funeral Home of Huntersville, NC is serving the family.
Published in the Charlotte Observer on 11/10/2003.

pooltchr
11-10-2003, 08:00 AM
Thanks, Nick. See ya there tomorrow.
Steve