PDA

View Full Version : Be grateful not bitter

SRpool
11-08-2003, 12:19 AM
I just want to remind people who complain about tournaments that they should be grateful that there are even tournaments to play in. Every tournament takes money out to pay workers, expenses and what not. Almost every tour makes the members pay a tour card fee. And it is the pool room not the tournament director who chooses to keep loud music playing and charge at the door.

Just remember, some places around the United States don't have big tournaments that often for people to play in so when you have one in your area nearly every weekend...be happy.

I think everyone can figure out who this is for. If you are offended I apologize. I am only speaking the truth.

Rick the stick
11-08-2003, 12:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SRpool:</font><hr> I just want to remind people who complain about tournaments that they should be grateful that there are even tournaments to play in. Every tournament takes money out to pay workers, expenses and what not. Almost every tour makes the members pay a tour card fee. And it is the pool room not the tournament director who chooses to keep loud music playing and charge at the door.

Just remember, some places around the United States don't have big tournaments that often for people to play in so when you have one in your area nearly every weekend...be happy.

I think everyone can figure out who this is for. If you are offended I apologize. I am only speaking the truth. <hr /></blockquote>

You go to a tournament and come home broke, what is there to be grateful for. A golf pro goes to an event, comes in last and comes home with 10 grand, what we make for coming in first. I'll be grateful if you run off the people who put us in this mess. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cueball1950
11-08-2003, 01:53 AM
Sarah....i welcome your posts and insight. In the Northeast here we have the Joss Tour. And you can bet the players are thankful. And how anyone can compare mens pro pool to the PGA is beyond me. They have LARGE corporate sponshorship that pays most of the prize money. And what about the chairities the PGA helps out with. Do you really think pro pool players would part with any of their prize money. Could you see Earl or Johnny Archer or Mike Sigel Putting their money or time into running clinics for kids for free. Nope, not in my lifetime. So please don't compare mens pool and the PGA Rick the stick. No comparison..........mike

Rich R.
11-08-2003, 07:53 AM
Great post Sarah.

I would also like to add a little.

If you love pool, but are not a tournament level player, try to attend as many tournaments as possible.
Of course, if it is a pro tournament, you will be paying an entrance fee. But if it is a regional or a local tournament, you may be getting in for free. Make sure you spend a little money on food and drinks while you are there. Try your best to make it a profitable experience for the room owner. They may decide to sponsor more events. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nostroke
11-08-2003, 12:38 PM
Your right Rich-I know you see what i see-The pool room owners are losing money on nearly every regional event.

The players other than the top 2 are losing money on every event. Consequently, half the players or more are packing their own lunch and spending as little as they can. We fans have to try to pull more than our own weight.

I have it from a pretty good source that one of the biggest supporters of regional events may not invite a couple of tours back next year due to losses beyond that expected.

Rick the stick
11-08-2003, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> Sarah....i welcome your posts and insight. In the Northeast here we have the Joss Tour. And you can bet the players are thankful. And how anyone can compare mens pro pool to the PGA is beyond me. They have LARGE corporate sponshorship that pays most of the prize money. And what about the chairities the PGA helps out with. Do you really think pro pool players would part with any of their prize money. Could you see Earl or Johnny Archer or Mike Sigel Putting their money or time into running clinics for kids for free. Nope, not in my lifetime. So please don't compare mens pool and the PGA Rick the stick. No comparison..........mike <hr /></blockquote>

Who is Sarah? You missed the point, pool needs to go out and operate like Golf, then nobody starves. Right now you are all agreeing nobody is making any money, everybody in the loop is losing money. So why do we keep doing the same losing things over and over. How about dump all of this and do it all 100% different, what do you have to lose when you already have a giant loser on your hands.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-08-2003, 01:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rick the stick:</font><hr>
Who is Sarah? <hr /></blockquote>

Sarah Rousey, currently ranked #21 in the WPBA

Nostroke
11-08-2003, 01:19 PM
Sarah is the one who made the original post. If you couldn't figure that out- I doubt you have any credible idea on how to have pool "operate like golf". If you are saying who is Sarah as some sort of insult, well nice try. She is a great player and widely respected in the pool community. Ask around.

For pool to operate like golf, it must have enormous fan and sponsor support. It has neither. If you have a way to make this happen, let's hear it. Lots of guys have tried. Hey!Why dont we have a 512 man tournament with a 10,000.00 entry fee?

My father used to say "don't throw out the dirty water until you get the clean" That's where we stand now-with dirty water, waiting for the clean. If you know how to do it, you can get wealthy in the process so i suggest you outline your plan here and then start on the road to riches!

Rich R.
11-08-2003, 03:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> I have it from a pretty good source that one of the biggest supporters of regional events may not invite a couple of tours back next year due to losses beyond that expected. <hr /></blockquote>
I'm very sorry to hear that Dave. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I hope it is not one of the rooms in my area. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rick the stick
11-08-2003, 05:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> Sarah is the one who made the original post. If you couldn't figure that out- I doubt you have any credible idea on how to have pool "operate like golf". If you are saying who is Sarah as some sort of insult, well nice try. She is a great player and widely respected in the pool community. Ask around.

Please, I am sorry, I did not know who Sarah was, no dis respect to her meant, her name is not up there, you had to know or dig for it. I would never dis respect any fine lady pro, dont even go there with me please.

My plan, first you gotta give me a million cash, then I will make it happen. It takes money to make money. Every body in the industry pony up to the bar. 2nd, I would rent the enola gay, fly over the BCA HQ in colorado springs, open the bomb bay doors and personally kick fat boy out of the bomb bay, ye ha, Geronimo. That is problem one to take out. Two is to form a real tour, not some collection of guys with no plan and no hope of pulling anything off. They are good people, but they are doooomed from the get go. Maybe we should just all sell our cues and take up bowling. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SRpool
11-09-2003, 05:07 AM
Someday guys maybe our sport will be like golf but for now it works. I just think more people should thank the tournament directors and pool rooms that hold the tournaments for even putting up with all of the players. It's a tough job I'm sure. And as a player I know it is tough because I don't always win money and I do travel quite a ways to play in the tournaments, but that is just to play. Around Chicago we don't have many big tournaments so when one comes within 400 miles its great. Rich and Nostroke know how far I've gone just to play and I thank you guys for being fans and the compliments. Maybe if we all hold out pool will be bigger then golf or bowling.

JimS
11-09-2003, 07:41 AM
Sarah,

Your attitude will help make that happen. You've got your head on straight whenever you choose to be grateful.