PDA

View Full Version : Soften up the pockets?

fast n loose
11-08-2003, 03:28 AM
I have a new Connelly table and the leather drop pockets are very stiff. The installers said to leave the balls in them for storage, which I do, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to make the pockets a little softer. The balls tend to stack up strangely and sometimes a ball will bounce out if they're stacked just right.

Chris Cass
11-08-2003, 09:16 AM
Play.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.

Rick the stick
11-08-2003, 12:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote fast n loose:</font><hr> I have a new Connelly table and the leather drop pockets are very stiff. The installers said to leave the balls in them for storage, which I do, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to make the pockets a little softer. The balls tend to stack up strangely and sometimes a ball will bounce out if they're stacked just right.
<hr /></blockquote>

I can answer that, connely tables suck, so do their pockets. That is your problem. You bought a cheap home rec table that looks like a commercial grade table but is not and it will play like crap. Your answer is this, sell it at once and go buy a decent table then you will be happy. You cannot make a vw bus run and ride like a caddy, the materials and the workmanship is just not there.
I play in a pool hall that put some of these in, big mistake. They have been there two years with light play and they are literally falling apart.

The pockets are ripping and tearing and falling off the rails already. These tables are junk, I am telling you. They are for joe ball banger who does not know squat and cant run 3 friggin balls. He only wants to put a pretty table in the basement for the kids, that guy is happy with this table because he does not know nothing. People buy them because they are half of the price of a commercial grade good table. The connely ultimate with that supid 2" slate is the biggest bow wow turkey I have ever played on. Go get a gold crown or a diamond, even an old brunswick you can fix up will work.

The leather is stiff in your pockets because its the cheapest leather they can find. You are not going to lossen it up. When your hands go in the stiff leather edges will tear up the cuticles on your finger nails. Pockets used to hold 7 or 8 balls, I bet yours hold 4 at best, get the 5th ball in and a ball will go in and out on you. They said, hey, if we cut the size of the pocket in half look at the money we save. That is what you have on that table, everything is done with the same concept, what is the cheapest thing we can find to use. That is how home rec tables are made.

Your rubber will go dead in a few months because they use the cheapest rubber man can make. The pockets are too low and rounded so when you jack up a little and hit the cue ball hard, the object ball will go in the exact dead center of the pocket and then sometimes bounce off of the pocket and back out on the table. This will get worse as time goes on.

The reason they used plactic pockets, had them set up higher and had a curve under the lip was to prevent this.
I only use plastic pockets, leather pockets suck. They only put them on tables because they are beautiful and the sell tables. So does purple cloth, but you wont see me playing on purple cloth either. You can't take a pigs ear and turn it into a silk purse, you just have to accept this. You have two choices, you bought a crap cheap table and expect to have crap performance and live with that.

Sell it, pay more, get a decent table with fine playing performance. Sorry to be to blunt here, do not take offense, do not get mad at me, get mad at the carney with good teeth former used car salesman who sold you this piece of crap. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brian_
11-09-2003, 12:16 AM
Plastic pockets better then leather? What have u been smoking? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I've shot on both GC's with plastic pockets and dimond tables with leather, and I"d much rather fire a ball into the dimond then the GC hands down. The place I play at has 10 old GC's so i'm used to anytime i see a runout that would require me to fire something hard into the side pockets especially i just find another way, cause 90% of the time it'll just jump back out straight at me. But hey to each his own i guess.

Rick the stick
11-09-2003, 12:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote brian_:</font><hr> Plastic pockets better then leather? What have u been smoking? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I've shot on both GC's with plastic pockets and dimond tables with leather, and I"d much rather fire a ball into the dimond then the GC hands down. The place I play at has 10 old GC's so i'm used to anytime i see a runout that would require me to fire something hard into the side pockets especially i just find another way, cause 90% of the time it'll just jump back out straight at me. But hey to each his own i guess. <hr /></blockquote>

Ok, yaba daba do, I dont know nuttin, do this, ask Earl, see what he tell you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UTAddb
11-09-2003, 12:36 PM
I've had a Connelly for about a year and a half and it is a solid table. Of course it's not the quality of a GC or diamond but is an excellent table esecially considering they're under $2000. As for the pockets, they were very stiff when I got mine as well. I didn't really mind. Now they are softer but are still somewhat stiff. I didn't do anything to them it just gets softer over time and playing.

brian_
11-09-2003, 10:38 PM
Rick if I was going to ask a pro player I'd ask one that atleast acts like he's in his right mind on tv lol /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. But hey I wasn't looking to start a fight about pockets, or about Earl for that matter just stating my opinion is all.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-09-2003, 11:59 PM
Leather Soap, softens up the toughtest baseball gloves. It might work on the pockets too.

Rick the stick
11-10-2003, 12:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote brian_:</font><hr> Rick if I was going to ask a pro player I'd ask one that atleast acts like he's in his right mind on tv lol /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. But hey I wasn't looking to start a fight about pockets, or about Earl for that matter just stating my opinion is all. <hr /></blockquote>

What is the name of the pro who does not act like he is in his right mind on TV, what was the show, what did he do that gave you that impression, just curious of course. Thanks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif