PDA

View Full Version : More Sigel stuff

Popcorn
11-08-2003, 12:50 PM
I went fishing with him once and he may have set some kind of record for the use of "I" in almost every sentence. He is one of the most wrapped up in himself persons I have ever met. Having said that though, he is interesting and you enjoy hearing what he has to say. We are just hello and good-bye friends, I don't expect a Christmas card or anything, but he is not an unpleasant guy to be around, I like him. I was at a tournament once and came into the practice room. Sigel had just gotten on the table and a few people had gathered to watch. After a few minutes someone asked him a question about something and he stopped his practice to set up what the guy had asked about. When he went back to practicing he was just breaking and trying to run out. He began talking as he was playing, explaining what and "Why" he was doing what he was doing. This went on for about an hour and he answered questions the whole time. When he was done playing, Some of the most perfect play you would ever see, by the way, the 30 or so people that were there gave him a standing ovation. If they had paid say $20.00 each to sit there, it would have been a bargain. I always thought after that, that clinics like this impromptu one done by Sigel, would be a great addition to any tournament. I think it would really bring in the spectators. The players could take turns doing them and they could be a permanent part of the tournaments. I don't know about all the dissension about autographs and so on, it seems like a so what issue. Maybe some of you have had an incident with Sigel that you interpreted as negative, but if you were in the parking lot and needed a jump, he would be the first to offer. He is not the bad guy some of you want to paint him out to be, I can't help but question the motives of some. I don't know, we could probably say something bad about anyone if we choose to selectively try. None of us would like our every word or action held up to public scrutiny, if so we could all come off looking pretty bad. The truth is, he is no worse then anyone else and better then most. I have never seen him go off on a spectator or try to blame anything on someone moving or whatever, Like others we know. He is always a real professional when it comes to the pool table, and one of the most enjoyable players to watch I have seen, he is an asset to the sport.. Just my opinion

Nostroke
11-08-2003, 01:30 PM
From what i have seen, Mike will do this without anyone asking him a question. I think he likes talking as much as he does pool. I was playing on a table next to him and next thing i know, he is showing me shots and then the crowd and he was off and running.

Thanks for the post Popcorn! I think you summed it up best!

koolcuedude
11-08-2003, 01:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I went fishing with him once and he may have set some kind of record for the use of "I" in almost every sentence. He is one of the most wrapped up in himself persons I have ever met. Having said that though, he is interesting and you enjoy hearing what he has to say. We are just hello and good-bye friends, I don't expect a Christmas card or anything, but he is not an unpleasant guy to be around, I like him. I was at a tournament once and came into the practice room. Sigel had just gotten on the table and a few people had gathered to watch. After a few minutes someone asked him a question about something and he stopped his practice to set up what the guy had asked about. When he went back to practicing he was just breaking and trying to run out. He began talking as he was playing, explaining what and "Why" he was doing what he was doing. This went on for about an hour and he answered questions the whole time. When he was done playing, Some of the most perfect play you would ever see, by the way, the 30 or so people that were there gave him a standing ovation. If they had paid say $20.00 each to sit there, it would have been a bargain. I always thought after that, that clinics like this impromptu one done by Sigel, would be a great addition to any tournament. I think it would really bring in the spectators. The players could take turns doing them and they could be a permanent part of the tournaments. I don't know about all the dissension about autographs and so on, it seems like a so what issue. Maybe some of you have had an incident with Sigel that you interpreted as negative, but if you were in the parking lot and needed a jump, he would be the first to offer. He is not the bad guy some of you want to paint him out to be, I can't help but question the motives of some. I don't know, we could probably say something bad about anyone if we choose to selectively try. None of us would like our every word or action held up to public scrutiny, if so we could all come off looking pretty bad. The truth is, he is no worse then anyone else and better then most. I have never seen him go off on a spectator or try to blame anything on someone moving or whatever, Like others we know. He is always a real professional when it comes to the pool table, and one of the most enjoyable players to watch I have seen, he is an asset to the sport.. Just my opinion <hr /></blockquote>

Nice post popcorn, but did they ever teach you what a paragraph was in grade school?

Popcorn
11-08-2003, 01:56 PM
When I copy it over from my word program they always disappear. I am afraid you will have to live with it.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-08-2003, 02:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>
I always thought after that, that clinics like this impromptu one done by Sigel, would be a great addition to any tournament. I think it would really bring in the spectators. The players could take turns doing them and they could be a permanent part of the tournaments.
<hr /></blockquote>

That is such a good idea I'm surprised it's not being done somewhere. Is it because the players don't want to "give it away for free" ?

Popcorn, thanks for the post. Informative, fair, and very interesting.

cue-tips.com
11-08-2003, 02:48 PM
Well said popcorn.........

Voodoo Daddy
11-08-2003, 02:52 PM
I know Mike is an avid fisherman, he and Danny Diliberto fish with a friend of ours in the Keys yearly. That poor fishing guide....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Voodoo~~~leaves himself a note to send earplugs to Capt. Bob

Rick the stick
11-08-2003, 05:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> From what i have seen, Mike will do this without anyone asking him a question. I think he likes talking as much as he does pool. I was playing on a table next to him and next thing i know, he is showing me shots and then the crowd and he was off and running.

Thanks for the post Popcorn! I think you summed it up best! <hr /></blockquote>

If you have ever watched Mike work, he must have a DYM, I have been his dym before. Once Mike knows you are a great dym, he will seek you out. Everything Mikes says you go your right, right on, yo da man. He cannot function with out a dym. I love Mike, I think he's the greatest, excentric, but genius always is. If you love what he does, they you must accept how he is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick the stick
11-08-2003, 05:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> When I copy it over from my word program they always disappear. I am afraid you will have to live with it. <hr /></blockquote>

Man, old dogs cannot learn new tricks, you hit the edit bar, go back in and add back the paragraphs then we all don't go blind reading your stuff, give us a break here ok. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Billy
11-08-2003, 06:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I went fishing with him once and he may have set some kind of record for the use of "I" in almost every sentence. He is one of the most wrapped up in himself persons I have ever met. Having said that though, he is interesting and you enjoy hearing what he has to say. We are just hello and good-bye friends, I don't expect a Christmas card or anything, but he is not an unpleasant guy to be around, I like him. I was at a tournament once and came into the practice room. Sigel had just gotten on the table and a few people had gathered to watch. After a few minutes someone asked him a question about something and he stopped his practice to set up what the guy had asked about. When he went back to practicing he was just breaking and trying to run out. He began talking as he was playing, explaining what and "Why" he was doing what he was doing. This went on for about an hour and he answered questions the whole time. When he was done playing, Some of the most perfect play you would ever see, by the way, the 30 or so people that were there gave him a standing ovation. If they had paid say $20.00 each to sit there, it would have been a bargain. I always thought after that, that clinics like this impromptu one done by Sigel, would be a great addition to any tournament. I think it would really bring in the spectators. The players could take turns doing them and they could be a permanent part of the tournaments. I don't know about all the dissension about autographs and so on, it seems like a so what issue. Maybe some of you have had an incident with Sigel that you interpreted as negative, but if you were in the parking lot and needed a jump, he would be the first to offer. He is not the bad guy some of you want to paint him out to be, I can't help but question the motives of some. I don't know, we could probably say something bad about anyone if we choose to selectively try. None of us would like our every word or action held up to public scrutiny, if so we could all come off looking pretty bad. The truth is, he is no worse then anyone else and better then most. I have never seen him go off on a spectator or try to blame anything on someone moving or whatever, Like others we know. He is always a real professional when it comes to the pool table, and one of the most enjoyable players to watch I have seen, he is an asset to the sport.. Just my opinion <hr /></blockquote>

thanks for sharing

he is in his own world but then who isn't?

he's a great player and glad to see back in competition

jmo

Rick the stick
11-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Hi this is Rick:
Mike Sigel: On November 1999, billiard digest ranked the top 100 greatest players and Mike Sigel was # 5 on the list. Some quotes from that article. Not since Willie Mosconi in the 40's had a player so dominated a decade as Mike did the 80's. He was know as Mr. final. He won 85 of 95 tourneys in which he reached the final match. He is the greatest living player alive today. He was the master of straight pool and 9 ball. He has won one pocket tourneys and over 100 tournaments overall.

At age 19 he ran 339 balls. He won his first world 14.1 title at age 27 in 1979 and won again in 81 &amp; 87. At the 89 US Open he went 150 and out on Jim Rempe. At the 92 US Open he went 150 and out on Mike Zuglan from the break. The one inning out remains a US Open record and was perhaps the most perfect 150 run every recorded on film. Steve Mizerak seeing it said Mike is the greatest player on earth. When 9 ball took over Mike won more 9 ball titles, 27 in the 1980's than any other player.

There are a lot of new players on the boards who are not aware of the position Mr. Sigel holds in the game. Those who have said some unkind things about him IMHO should read the above and then show our greatest player alive today more respect.