PDA

View Full Version : "Pool Pride" Day

rackmup
04-16-2002, 05:32 AM
Perhaps this is what we need to promote our sport. This was clipped out of a local publication:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>A banner day to show POOL PRIDE<hr></blockquote>

By Johnny Rock
The Milwaukee Sentinal
April 16, 2002

When the insistent thump of George Thorogood's "Bad to the Bone" reached earshot, throngs of cue-toting men and women along the Milwaukee parade route Saturday cheered and sang along.

The parade and daylong party at Willie Mosconi Park are the Milwaukee community's most important billiards-related events. There was the dunk tank, where pool balls were thrown at a small target in an attempt to dunk your favorite railbird. If that didn't get you in the spirit, you could opt for the "bobbing for 8-balls" or break contest.

Keith McCready signed 8X10 glossy photos of himself in "The Color of Money." Speaking of TCOM, it was broadcast 24 hours straight on the many big screen televisions set up throughout the festival.

Vendors of tables, cues and gameroom accessories were hawking their wares and promoting the sport. Martha "The Velveteen Widow" Stewart was on hand, sharing recipes for favorite treats like "Pool Ball Pie" and "Carom Croissants." She also put on a trick shot exhibition that dazzled young and old.

The pie eating contest was won by reigning champion, Buddy Hall.

The event culminated with a nineball tournament with a full, 64 player field sponsored by Billiards Digest Magazine. As of the writing of this article, a winner had yet to be determined (although Martha is the odds-on favorite.)

The event was also used as a "launching pad" for Martha's declaration that she is running for the President's seat of the WPBA. If elected, she promises to "clean things up" and send that organization off in the "right direction."

A great day was had by all and smiles could be seen on the faces of those leaving, as the clean-up crews moved in to sweep up the many pieces of chalk and cocktail napkins that littered the park.<hr></blockquote>

Regards,

Ken (daydreaming again)

Doctor_D
04-16-2002, 05:54 AM
"The event was also used as a "launching pad" for Martha's declaration that she is running for the President's seat of the WPBA. If elected, she promises to "clean things up" and send that organization off in the "right direction."

Good morning Ken:

Interesting, very Interesting. I am certain that Jan McWorter would have an opinion or two on this declaration!

Dr. D.

Rich R.
04-16-2002, 08:03 AM
"The event was also used as a "launching pad" for Martha's declaration that she is running for the President's seat of the WPBA. If elected, she promises to "clean things up" and send that organization off in the "right direction."

I think that would be "a good thing". Rich R.

04-18-2002, 11:34 AM
Good Zinger D. I was thinking the same thing only that Martha's Declaration should have ended with "and i have Jan's permission to say so" LOL She'll learn. St