PDA

View Full Version : The game for "old" folks?

Pelican
11-10-2003, 08:34 AM
My step-son and I played one-pocket Sat nite. He is a strong player and will beat me 80 percent of the time in 8 or 9 ball and has been playing one-pocket for some time. This was my first attempt at one-pocket. We played for almost 3 hours and I won 3 to 1.

I think that because of age (59 this month) and eyesight I am not as sharp a shooter as I once was but I still have a mind for the game. One-pocket, to me anyway, is as much (if not more) stratgy as shooting.

How do you folks feel about it.

pooltchr
11-10-2003, 09:37 AM
As a general rule, us old guys probably have a little more patience than a lot of the young ones out there. One pocket requires you to wait for the right opportunities, and I think that may be where you got a bit of an edge. Also all that experience lets you see things that some less experienced players may not catch. It's not always the best shot maker that wins at one pocket, but usually the one with the best strategy. I always thought of one pocket as being very similar to chess on a pool table.

Pelican
11-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Yes, pooltchr, I think you pegged it with "patience" and "see things". A lot of younger shooters, and my step-son is like this, will almost jump up and run to the table when it is their shot. Then they are in such a hurry to shoot they don't take time to, what I call, "see the whole table".

Hum, maybe I have found 'my game'. Thanks for the reply, Pel

Voodoo Daddy
11-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Pel...I been playin' 1-Hole since I was 19 years old {I'm a rip 39 now}, no doubt that table maturity plays a big part. If you ever get a chance to watch the young guns play 1-hole <Deuell, Joyner, Frost, Nevel /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif> you will find that they play more a run-n-gun game, while most people play more conventional up table game.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-10-2003, 02:44 PM
Oh my Captin.... of the one pocket players..

If I recall correctly.. you had a whole squadron of FLYERS that had successful missions against me.

Everytime there was one available, BANG.. the flyer went in and you got out... damn you.. FL players.. anything that gets you away from the TV.

Voodoo Daddy
11-10-2003, 03:15 PM
No one can say I'm not "creative", can they Tom?..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Voodoo~~~plays every shot like his life depends on it!!

Kato
11-10-2003, 03:46 PM
While certainly not nearly the pedigree of Voodoo or yourself in the one pocket game I do try to bring the old with the new. I've got to admit though that I'm going to read Scott Frost's articles in Inside Pool with great anticipation. Who woulda thunk one pocket could be a run and gun game.

Kato~~~loves 8 and out and has a 12 ball one pocket run under the belt.

AuntyDan
11-10-2003, 04:17 PM
I often play with the old boys at a local retirement community here in darkest Southern California and they like to play a variant of 8-Ball where you have to make either the 1 or 15 in a specific side pocket. They also play last pocket on the 8, so the primary objective is to make that 1 or 15 as early as possible to avoid having to make the 8 in the side at the end of the game.

They also like to play doubles, even if every other table in the room is free. As a consequence there is a lot of sitting down between shots, which is exactly how they like it! Still you learn some interesting tactics playing like this.

Popcorn
11-10-2003, 08:31 PM
I have to tell you, one pocket is not only not a game for old people, but against good players it is not a game for the faint of heart, it is a tough aggressive game. You don't win through patience, you win by making things happen. Putting heat on the other player as much as you can and always forcing the issue. Sometimes you may play the score when you are ahead, but waiting for the other player to make mistakes so you can win, is usually fruitless. Long drawn out games with all the balls up table is not very good one pocket in most cases..

L.S. Dennis
11-10-2003, 08:41 PM
I've played that style of 8-ball that you're referring to.
I believe in pool parlance it's called "Alabama 8-ball". I like it much better then what has now become the standard eight ball game. A whole new dimention of strategy is involed. Great game!

Pelican
11-10-2003, 11:20 PM
"one pocket is not only not a game for old people, but against good players it is not a game for the faint of heart"

This sounds more like a contact sport. I play pool for enjoyment. I don't want to become so intent that I can't have fun - win or lose. Not critical of anyone that takes it that serious - just not my style. I tell folks my pool shootin' ability is about equal to my love makin' ability. I ain't real good but I sure do have a good time tryin' /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
11-11-2003, 07:53 AM
I've heard of this game you speak but have never seen it played. I do know in last pocket 8 ball (seen it played a few times, never played myself) that you don't want to shoot at the side pocket.

Kato

Pelican
11-11-2003, 08:36 AM
I'm from 'bama. In my early teens ('58-'59) we would skip school (jr high) and go to the poolhall. 10 cents a game if I remember right. Our rules made the eight ball 'live' and there was table scratch on the eight /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

Oh yea, the guy that owned the hall would always ask, "You boys got a pass to be outa school?". We'd just say "Yes sir". He never asked to see it.

Popcorn
11-11-2003, 08:51 AM
It has nothing to do with not having fun or be over zealous in trying to beat your opponent. People like to compare it to chess. I never liked that comparison but to use chess and as an analogy. It would not make much sense for two players to play a game of chess and just randomly move the pieces around the board never trying to offensively trap and trick their opponent. That would not be much fun. One pocket is the same way. You want to do things to your opponent to keep them on the defensive, limit options and force mistakes. If you are not trying to do this, you are not playing one pocket, makes no sense to be playing the game. Not all players have the same abilities and two weak player may play hour long games and completely enjoy themselves. But they at the least need to have certain goals as to the play of the game, otherwise what is the point in playing? The fun lies in the creation, the strategy, the confusing, confounding and tricking of your opponent and finally the execution, of scoring balls to win the game. When it comes to one pocket, that is the goal of the game. You can bump balls around the table all night, but just because you each only have one pocket, does not mean you are playing one pocket. It would be like going fishing and never baiting the hook. You just sit there hoping a fish will jump in the boat, doesn't sound like much fun.

Pelican
11-11-2003, 10:54 AM
I think it gets down to your definition of 'fun'. Some folks participate in the running of the bulls for 'fun'. Not none of me. Some folks need the intense competion to get their 'rush'. I usta gamble a lot but these days if someone even says 'lets shoot for a beer' I tell 'em "I'll buy you a beer, I just want to play pool".

As far as fishin' goes, long as the ice chest is full why bait your hook. Dang fish might interrupt ya. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Different strokes for different folks. Pel

Popcorn
11-11-2003, 11:23 AM
If you are not going to even try to play the game, why bother playing. I am a little confused.
Has little to do with age. I am older then you. I don't derive my pleasure from winning, I do however enjoy a well played game even if I lose. To be honest, I won't even practice with someone who has no interest in trying, I would rather play by myself. It comes up in the pool room a lot actually, someone will ask you to play and you decline. Behind your back they will say something like "He thinks is too good to play with me" when the truth is, they are no fun to play with, because they are either talking to someone, watching the TV and in general seem to have no interest in, or appreciation for the game. I think you will find a majority of the people here are real students of the game and take real pride in playing the game to the best of their abilities. I don't think that is anything to be criticized and it does not make one a blood thirsty competitor.

NH_Steve
11-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Popcorn, I thoroughly like your approach to One Pocket!

I think the part of One Pocket I like the best is the creativity it invites. Almost every time I play, I come home exhilerated by the flow of creative juices -- especially when the ideas work /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif lol

Playing more and learning more also begats the satisfaction of recognizing more and more of what works in different situations -- and maybe even executing successfully /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Needless to say, I love the game. Welcome aboard, Pelican.
Anyway, how can you not love a game that can indeed reward you for missing /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gerry
11-12-2003, 07:26 AM
I think more than any other game, 1-pocket will show your personality. In 9-ball, you break, run out, play safe, whatever because MOST of the time there is a road map to the end of the game. In 14.1 you run balls, and there is a right way, and many difficult ways. Watch the all the great players, and the right way will show itself eventually, but in 1-pocket, you have a million ways/personalities to play and none of them can be faulted if they work. Just think of any great player and thier type of game shows, Varner-likes the wedge game, very calculating fits his personality. Ronny Allen, shoots at everything, makes most of them, very fast, outgoing like he is. Buddy hall, slow and steady and deadly. Efren, I'm not even going there, the guy is from another galaxy....Gerry