PDA

View Full Version : Advantage of a tip pad?

woody_968
11-10-2003, 01:50 PM
Who of you use a tip pad, and what do you feel the advantage is.
Just curious as I have never used one and didnt know if it produced much of a different feel.

Thanks

RedHell
11-10-2003, 02:00 PM
I have always wondered myself ?

I don't use one...

Barbara
11-10-2003, 02:18 PM
I have one on each of my shafts that have an ivory ferrule.

It helps to cushion the hit to the ferrule.

Barbara

Kato
11-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Used 'em for a while but didn't like 'em all that much. Felt like it took too much "feel" away from me.

Kato

SecaucusFats
11-10-2003, 03:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Who of you use a tip pad, and what do you feel the advantage is.
Just curious as I have never used one and didnt know if it produced much of a different feel.

I use tip pads on my ivory ferruled shafts. Ivory is my choice of material for ferrules on custom cues, but it is more brittle than any of the synthetic ferrule materials. A fiber pad installed between the ferrule and the tip serves to dampen the impact force which is transmitted to the ferrule particularly on those shots that require a very firm stroke. I have not experienced any adverse consequences resulting from the use of fiber pads and I consider them cheap insurance against an expensive ivory ferrule replacement.

Secaucus Fats

UTAddb
11-10-2003, 05:32 PM
I tried one for the first time and don't like it. Makes the hit way too soft. If you like soft tips it shouldn't be a big deal.

buddha162
11-10-2003, 06:30 PM
After going through a few mushrooming M layered-tips, I finally installed a Moori Hard on a fiber pad. I think with the pad the hit is softened a little, but not much. It's definitely much harder than a M.

In any case, when I do have to replace tips again they won't have to sand my ferrule, and my pad can last through a couple of tips at least. And best of all, no more mushrooming!

If you have an ivory ferrule, pads are a must. They keep the ivory from cracking when the tip (inevitably) spreads.

Roger

Fred Agnir
11-11-2003, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Who of you use a tip pad, and what do you feel the advantage is.

Thanks <hr /></blockquote> For ivory ferrules, it helps to protect the ferrule once the tip starts getting low.

For other ferrules, for me it mutes the sound of the hit. That is, it "softens" the hit. Some people like that reduced vibration/feedback. Others don't.

Fred