PDA

View Full Version : Advantage of an Ivory Ferrule?

JimS
11-10-2003, 07:16 PM
Reading the thread regarding fibre tip pads has renewed a question I've had for a long time but never asked (didn't want to look stupid?)

Why use an ivory ferrule?

Rick the stick
11-11-2003, 02:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Reading the thread regarding fibre tip pads has renewed a question I've had for a long time but never asked (didn't want to look stupid?)

Why use an ivory ferrule? <hr /></blockquote>

You only use one if you are decades out of date. Modern players do not. They are very temperture sensitive and easy to crack going from cold to hot. They are very hard, produce a hard hit, which was why then every one used a soft tip with them. They deflect horribly. They also cost a lot of money which is why custom cue guys still like to sell them Today everythings reversed to hard tips, triangles or Morris or hard layered tips and soft thin ferrules that deflect less like 314 or red dots. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BarryC
11-11-2003, 06:51 AM

Many people consider Ivory ferrules to add class and value to your cue and like the look of ivory. Ivory ferrules resist chalk marks and stains more so than any other ferrule and are easier to keep clean. Many people like the hit that Ivory ferrules produce and swear by it. Pads are used by some to protect the ivory ferrule when your tip gets very low. Most ferrules are sensitive to cold weather, but ivory is probably more so. I've installed several hundred ivory ferrules over the years and have only replaced one due to cracking and many people break with their ivory ferrules.

Barry C.
cameroncues.com

SecaucusFats
11-11-2003, 11:06 PM

You only use one if you are decades out of date. Modern players do not. They are very temperture sensitive and easy to crack going from cold to hot. They are very hard, produce a hard hit, which was why then every one used a soft tip with them. They deflect horribly. They also cost a lot of money which is why custom cue guys still like to sell them Today everythings reversed to hard tips, triangles or Morris or hard layered tips and soft thin ferrules that deflect less like 314 or red dots. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Decades out of date, huh? What decades in particular? Ivory has a unique hit and feel which has endeared itself to many excellent pool players, it also has an unmatched look and most definitely it has 'cache'. Your statement is absolute horse manure.

As to all the people who believe that a particular shaft design, or ferrule design, or a particular tip, will be the ticket to deadstroke they are poor deluded victims of marketing. Better they should work on their stroking, aiming
and strategy.

So yeah maybe Ivory is 'old school' but then again so am I. Ivory ferrules were good enough for Mosconi, Crane, Lassiter, Balsis, and a couple of dozen others.. that means; they're good enough for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Secaucus Fats

tateuts
11-11-2003, 11:18 PM
My Tim Scruggs cue comes with ivory ferrules - no pads - and the hit is just super. My 2nd favorite cue is a Huebler custom shop. Both those shafts have ivory ferrules, and the hit is also great.

I guess I have become accustomed to the hit, sound, and feel of an ivory ferrule and a Moori medium.

Those ivory ferrules, all polished up, are beautiful and they hit great - what more can you say?

Chris

Rick the stick
11-12-2003, 12:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr> Why use an ivory ferrule? <hr /></blockquote>

You only use one if you are decades out of date. Modern players do not. They are very temperture sensitive and easy to crack going from cold to hot. They are very hard, produce a hard hit, which was why then every one used a soft tip with them. They deflect horribly. They also cost a lot of money which is why custom cue guys still like to sell them Today everythings reversed to hard tips, triangles or Morris or hard layered tips and soft thin ferrules that deflect less like 314 or red dots. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Decades out of date, huh? What decades in particular? Ivory has a unique hit and feel which has endeared itself to many excellent pool players, it also has an unmatched look and most definitely it has 'cache'. Your statement is absolute horse manure.

As to all the people who believe that a particular shaft design, or ferrule design, or a particular tip, will be the ticket to deadstroke they are poor deluded victims of marketing. Better they should work on their stroking, aiming
and strategy.

So yeah maybe Ivory is 'old school' but then again so am I. Ivory ferrules were good enough for Mosconi, Crane, Lassiter, Balsis, and a couple of dozen others.. that means; they're good enough for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Secaucus Fats <hr /></blockquote>

All those great pool players you mentioned played in the l930's, 70 years ago. Lets see you say I am:
unmatched look and most definitely it has 'cache'. Your statement is absolute horse manure.

OK LETS now go to golfers and try to sell them the same clubs bobby jones was playing with 70 years ago and they would laugh you out of town, that is your horse manure logic. The people who are saying they are great are the people selling them and wanting to push a 70 year old out of date product simply because they can make a c note on it when a one dollar ferrule will play circles around it. I am off this post, you guys push your 70 yr old out of date manure all you want. I don't care. Fats, 7 gets you 11 you are still playing with a ivory billiard ball as well. Do not lie to me...Old dogs cannot learn new tricks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cueless Joey
11-12-2003, 12:20 PM
Ivory ferrules are done.
Ivor-X ferrules hit and feel just like ivory without the cost and the problems. Ivory breaks and is temperature sensitive.
It's also way too expensive. Not mentioning, the controvery.

Chris Cass
11-12-2003, 05:27 PM
Rick,

I couldn't disagree with you more. Almost on every count.

Regards,

C.C.

SecaucusFats
11-12-2003, 07:36 PM

and strategy.

All those great pool players you mentioned played in the l930's, 70 years ago.

<font color="blue"> </font color> Wrong again. Crane played one of his best matches in 1966 against Joe Balsis going 150 and out for the World Crown and won the World Crown again in '68, '70, and '72. He did also win in '46 and '55 as well. Mosconi still holds the record for a run of 526 and he had a lock on straight pool from 1940 to 1957. Balsis won the World Crown in 1974. Lassiter did the same in 1969 and then won the World All Around Invitational at the Stardust in Las Vegas in 1971 he also won the straight pool title at Johnston City 5 out of the 11 years it existed (1962 to 1972.

Lets see you say I am:
unmatched look and most definitely it has 'cache'. Your statement is absolute horse manure.

<font color="blue"> </font color> When was the last time you saw anyone praising the look of any non-ivory ferrule? "Wow dude! Is that a genuine "generic thermoset linen phenolic ferrule"?

The people who are saying they are great are the people selling them and wanting to push a 70 year old out of date product simply because they can make a c note on it when a one dollar ferrule will play circles around it.

<font color="blue"> </font color>
No one forces anyone to buy ivory ferrules. But if someone wants one and does not mind paying for it then who's to judge? Ferrules, cues, tips don't "play" they are played by players, a player is someone with the skills to use what he's got to get the job done.

I am off this post, you guys push your 70 yr old out of date manure all you want. I don't care. Fats, 7 gets you 11 you are still playing with a ivory billiard ball as well. Do not lie to me...Old dogs cannot learn new tricks.

<font color="blue"> </font color> Nah, I prefer Aramith Super Pros or Brunswick Centennials. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rick the stick
11-13-2003, 01:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr>

and strategy.

All those great pool players you mentioned played in the l930's, 70 years ago.

<font color="blue"> </font color> Wrong again. Crane played one of his best matches in 1966 against Joe Balsis going 150 and out for the World Crown and won the World Crown again in '68, '70, and '72. He did also win in '46 and '55 as well. Mosconi still holds the record for a run of 526 and he had a lock on straight pool from 1940 to 1957. Balsis won the World Crown in 1974. Lassiter did the same in 1969 and then won the World All Around Invitational at the Stardust in Las Vegas in 1971 he also won the straight pool title at Johnston City 5 out of the 11 years it existed (1962 to 1972.

Lets see you say I am:

<font color="blue"> </font color> When was the last time you saw anyone praising the look of any non-ivory ferrule? "Wow dude! Is that a genuine "generic thermoset linen phenolic ferrule"?

The people who are saying they are great are the people selling them and wanting to push a 70 year old out of date product simply because they can make a c note on it when a one dollar ferrule will play circles around it.

<font color="blue"> </font color>
No one forces anyone to buy ivory ferrules. But if someone wants one and does not mind paying for it then who's to judge? Ferrules, cues, tips don't "play" they are played by players, a player is someone with the skills to use what he's got to get the job done.

I am off this post, you guys push your 70 yr old out of date manure all you want. I don't care. Fats, 7 gets you 11 you are still playing with a ivory billiard ball as well. Do not lie to me...Old dogs cannot learn new tricks.

<font color="blue"> </font color> Nah, I prefer Aramith Super Pros or Brunswick Centennials. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

liar liar pants on fire, your 3-cushion balls, 7 gets you 11 they are ivory dude. Don't lie to da stick.

fast_eddie_B
11-13-2003, 03:38 PM
I think your a fake!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tateuts
11-13-2003, 04:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr> <font color="blue"> </font color> "Wow dude! Is that a genuine "generic thermoset linen phenolic ferrule"? <font color="blue"> </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

Oh man, is that funny. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bluewolf
11-14-2003, 08:31 AM
Why so opinionated? If someone likes the hit it gives them, then so be it. It happens to be the only part of my new scruggs that is ivory.

Laura