PDA

View Full Version : Drivers ED!!!

MaineEAck
04-16-2002, 06:59 AM
I am taking drivers ED now, one more week, and I will have my permit... I can't wait to be able to drive myself to the pool hall!!! haha, I am driving today, and the lady is letting me drop myself off at the pool hall, because I am on VACA
---- STAY OFF THE ROADS! ----

Kato
04-16-2002, 07:02 AM
Hey, cool for you. I remember taking Driver's Ed.........er, nope, wasn't me. I do remember learning to drive in my Dad's old Chevy Citation with the 24" stick shift (my car has about a 6" shifter), what a pain. Have fun.

Kato

MaineEAck
04-16-2002, 07:06 AM
Thanks, I get to drive this little S-10 pickup truck, it is half the size of a Tacoma (Spell?) So much fun! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I just hate the in class stuff, I don't think the teacher likes me HAHA we had these goggles where it made you feel like you were drunk with a 2.8 BAC and I passed half of the tests with them on... It made him all mad, I closed my eyes most of the time!!! DON'T EVER DRINK AND DRIVE!!!

rackmup
04-16-2002, 07:08 AM
Congrats Jordan!

To quote Martin Luther King:

"Free at last. Free at last. Great God Almighty, I'm free at last!"

Regards,

Ken (whisking the pets and kids off the streets!)

04-16-2002, 07:10 AM
Good luck with your permit. I know it's a really big deal when you get that.

I remember my good ol' school days when I took Driver's Ed. We had 4 students and the instructor in the car. I was driving and for the first time he directed me to get on the parkway. (Youz guys in other states call them interstates). Got the car up to a whopping 55mph..man I was cruising, LOL. Then suddenly...klug, klug, klug, klug, thump thump, SCREEEEEEEEEECH!!!!

And the wheel fell off.

I thought it was fun. The instructor threw up.

Have fun.

Fran

CarolNYC
04-16-2002, 07:15 AM
Hi there,
Good luck with driving-I will share with you a horrific travelling experience-coming home from the 99" Valley Forge Expo-headed North on the NJ turnpike, riding in an 86' Suburban stationwagon with the wood on the sides(like something from National Lampoons Vacations)overheating,mufflerhanging,our destination was exit 10-we were 1 mile from Exit 9 when a woman screaming her lungs out pulls up along side us and says "Your cars on fire!"-ha ha ha-I look out the window and 30 foot flames are shooting out the sides of the car-like a flaming piece of s**t flying down the highway-it seems the oil was leaking on the catalytic converter and was igniting,ha ha ha-well 3 hours later and 250 in towing fees,I made it home-sorry, but you will never see another "Beast from the East" like this!
Moral of story-get a good car with a warranty or definitely get road side assistance!
Happy travels!
Carol

MaineEAck
04-16-2002, 07:15 AM
Thanks Fran- That makes me feel SOOO SOOO SOOO much better! Can't wait o go drive at 1! Does anyone on this board know what a Dooryard is? I guess thats a "Maine" Thing and if something is good, we say it's wicked good... HAHA I hate being a "Maine-er" but I love being a Maine-E-Ack

CarolNYC
04-16-2002, 07:17 AM
Fran,
I am cracking up-I have tears in my eyes,that is too funny!
Carol(klug,klug,thump,thump,ha ha ha)

MaineEAck
04-16-2002, 07:18 AM
Sounds like fun! kids my age would love to have a car on fire! My driving lady talks the whole time, and forgets to tell me where to go!!! haha it's funny

MaineEAck
04-16-2002, 07:20 AM
Did you still get your permit, b/c i was not your falt?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Good luck with your permit. I know it's a really big deal when you get that.

I remember my good ol' school days when I took Driver's Ed. We had 4 students and the instructor in the car. I was driving and for the first time he directed me to get on the parkway. (Youz guys in other states call them interstates). Got the car up to a whopping 55mph..man I was cruising, LOL. Then suddenly...klug, klug, klug, klug, thump thump, SCREEEEEEEEEECH!!!!

And the wheel fell off.

Have fun.

Fran <hr></blockquote>

Doctor_D
04-16-2002, 07:20 AM
Good morning:

Congratualtions !!!!

Dr. D.

MaineEAck
04-16-2002, 07:22 AM
Thanks, no Congratualtions ye, I still have to pass!!! I will don't worry

Tom_In_Cincy
04-16-2002, 07:24 AM
Good luck, and remember, to drive DEFENSIVELY. Everyone is out to get you..

MaineEAck
04-16-2002, 07:31 AM
Everyone is out to get me! they alway tailgate, and beep at me, I got the speed limit, no more, no less. Why is that a problem, I fail if I speed, so get over it!!!! I want to print off little signs to put in the window... "Back off @$$"

Kato
04-16-2002, 07:34 AM
Not to further degenerate this post but.............I remember being on vacation with my little brother and my folks when I was in the 15-16 age group. Driving home from the Carolina's or something we went through the mountains in Tennessee. My Dad got the bright idea that I would drive through the mountains to Atlanta and then he'd drive the rest of the way to Ft. Lauderdale. My Mom and Dad were sleeping in the back of the Dodge Aires K Station Wagon and my brother and I were rocking out to Malmstein going way too fast. I think I took a corner at like 65 and almost hit the retaining barrier. I looked back, my heart in my throat and my Dad was white as a ghost but didn't want to wake my Mom. I ended up driving on the Atlanta Freeway during rush hour 'cause I couldn't find a place to pull over. Needless to say I don't think my parents drove in the same car with me behind the wheel until I was in my 20's. LOL

Kato~~~I'm an excellent driver!!!!!!!!

04-16-2002, 07:34 AM
I already had my permit. In NY, you have to pass a written test first just to get behind the wheel. This was to prepare to get my license. You're right, it wasn't my fault so I didn't get penalized.

I think the instructor should have gotten a few points on his license for puking on the job.

Fran

04-16-2002, 07:42 AM
Driving...The final frontier...
Jordan, Best of luck with the test! I hope the roads in Maine are a little friendlier than NJ/NY! Unfortunately, I live in the most crowded state(NJ) and sometimes you have to be like Mad Max to survive. Anyway, got a quick story on learning to drive a stick: When I just got my permit, my brother takes me out to practice working a stick shift. It didn't help that his car was a Firebird(FireTurd) with a big engine and touchy clutch! Anyway, he takes me onto Route 1, which has ALOT of traffic and traffic lites and jams an open beer between my legs. Then he tells me to pull out and don't spill any! I don't think that's what DMV had in mind.

Eric &gt;looks like the sidewalks in Maine aren't safe anymore!!

cheesemouse
04-16-2002, 09:18 AM
http://www.copzilla.com/cards/boogie.gif Hey, dad, give me the keys to the car.

MaineEAck
04-16-2002, 09:24 AM
HAHAHAHAHA I AM ON THE FLOOR DIEING!!!! hahahhaha
I just got 8 shafts and 5 sneaky pete buts, I am working on them now!!!! YESSS it's soooo much fun!

SPetty
04-16-2002, 10:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eric:</font><hr> Anyway, got a quick story on learning to drive a stick: When I just got my permit, my brother takes me out to practice working a stick shift. It didn't help that his car was a Firebird(FireTurd) with a big engine and touchy clutch! Anyway, he takes me onto Route 1, which has ALOT of traffic and traffic lites and jams an open beer between my legs. Then he tells me to pull out and don't spill any! I don't think that's what DMV had in mind.

Eric <hr></blockquote>

Another quick story: My brother taught me to drive a standard transmission (on the column!) in an old Ford pickup by parking it facing uphill (in a vacant neighborhood under construction), then getting out and standing behind it and instructing me to drive forward without running over him. He sure learned to jump out of the way quick!

SPetty~~your story was better!

SPetty
04-16-2002, 10:46 AM
HAHAHAHA!

I have a similar story - driving to work at 11 p.m. a few years back going about 65 mph in an old Pinto(!) when the right rear wheel and axle came off. The wheel crossed all four lanes of the freeway and ended up in the middle, thankfully missing the other late night commuters. The rooster-tail of sparks was simply amazing as the pavement ate away whatever metal was left back there. After getting it to stop on the shoulder, I got out and ran, because we all know Pintos explode! Sold that car a few days later for $15.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Good luck with your permit. I know it's a really big deal when you get that.

And the wheel fell off.

Have fun.

Fran <hr></blockquote>

Tom_In_Cincy
04-16-2002, 02:02 PM
Forgot to mention that I have had to go through drivers ED, 3 times with my kids. (21, 19 and 17 years old) Oldest is my only daughter, and is the most responsible of the 3. The 19 year old has totalled two cars in the last 18 months. (no, he wasn't even scratched both times, he did learn to wear his seat belt when he was very young)
I'm over it all now, so I can relax.. and just empathize with the other parents that have to go through these trying times.

Cuemage
04-16-2002, 07:35 PM
On our 2nd trip out, we ventured the backroads of VA where the deer &amp; antelope play...a fellow student was driving when the instructor said "hey, look at that deer"...well, the guy driving sure enough began to stare at the deer.............and drive off the road into the ditch! The instructor then says" I didn't mean you"

Moral of the stroy: keep ur darn eyes on tha road.

Tha Cuemage

Barbara
04-16-2002, 07:51 PM
Jordan,

If you're doing the speed limit, good for you. But it matters what lane you're doing it in. I've honked at the "speed limit doers" in the LEFT lane which is the passing lane. (it's also known as "Barbara's personal lane", so stay out of it when you spy a red Trans Am coming up from behind in your rear view mirror, as is the HOV lane on off-hours) And if you're in the middle lane and find drivers passing you on BOTH sides of you, then it's time to get into the right lane. Be defensive at all times, yes, lots of people are really careless on the roads, especially when they have passengers because they may not be paying attention to the road as much or when they should.

And pay special attention when you get into the defensive driving part, like how to correctly steer out of skids and stuff - that's really important, especially in Maine where you get lots of snow.

Yeah, I may drive fast, but I still drive defensively and will not be that a-hole that weaves in and out of traffic just to get ahead. That's just plain dangerous.

Barbara~~~would love to go to Bob Bondurant's school of driving....

Ralph S.
04-17-2002, 01:07 AM
Hey Jordan, where's the safest place to hide now that your on the streets. Just kidding and congratulations.
Ralph S.

Rod
04-17-2002, 02:16 AM
Jordan, my first car knew it's way to the pool room! I'd tell you a story about my mom's first adventure, with me driving!! I think I'll save your mom the high pulse rate however and not say a word, know what I mean? Good luck on your new adventure and be careful.

Rich R.
04-17-2002, 04:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr>

If you're doing the speed limit, good for you. But it matters what lane you're doing it in. I've honked at the "speed limit doers" in the LEFT lane which is the passing lane. <hr></blockquote>
But, Barbara, isn't the speed limit meant for "ALL" lanes of the road. Let's teach this boy right.
Rich R.~~~never goes over the spead limit..........in first gear.

Doctor_D
04-17-2002, 04:45 AM
Good morning:

Keep one simple concept in mind when driving; Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!

Dr. D.

Rich R.
04-17-2002, 04:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good morning:

Keep one simple concept in mind when driving; Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>
When it comes to driving, I try to lead, until that eighteen wheeler comes up on my back bumper. Then I defer and "get out of the way". Rich R.

SPetty
04-17-2002, 06:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> But, Barbara, isn't the speed limit meant for "ALL" lanes of the road. Let's teach this boy right.
Rich R.~~~never goes over the spead limit..........in first gear. <hr></blockquote>

Yes, I know I'm not Barbara...

She IS teaching this boy (and anyone else that might be listening) right. She said it perfectly. I can tell she's a frequent highway driver. We think differently than city drivers.

As many competent highway drivers know, the posted speed limit is about 5 mph slower than the right lane should be going. Each successive lane to the left goes up 5 mph. So, on a four lane highway with a speed limit of 55, the right lane should be going 60 and the left lane should be going 75! If you're not going fast, get out of the left lane. If you're being passed, move to the right. One more peeve: get yourself up to full speed on the acceleration ramp and don't expect the people on the freeway to move over when getting on the freeway. Pick your spot and accelerate into it.

SPetty~~I agree, let's get it right!

Doctor_D
04-17-2002, 06:09 AM
Good morning:

I could not have said it better myself. Kudos you you girl. A woman after my own heart!!!

Dr. D.

04-17-2002, 07:38 AM
Hi SPetty,

Your brother has ALOT of balls!!!

04-17-2002, 07:46 AM
O.K., now I know! You're the one that is blowing by me on the Turnpike, shaking your fist, when I'm already doing 90!

Eric &gt;teasing Barbara because driving in NJ takes more than Defense- you need Offense and Special Teams too!

Barbara
04-17-2002, 09:30 AM
Or maybe you were one of the 7 cars I passed doing 105 on Rt 72???

Barbara

04-17-2002, 10:37 AM
do not, ever, never, never... tailgate a motorcycle.

i have a real interest in this one. either stay back or pass but remember; if he needs to, that bike can stop in something like half the distance you can which means that if he locks 'em up, you've got a new hood ornament.

good luck

dan

SPetty
04-17-2002, 11:05 AM
Okay, another "my brother" story:

My brother totaled a Datsun (that's what they used to call a Nissan) sports car with his helmeted head when said Datsun driver fell asleep and rear-ended my brother who was sitting on his motorcycle at a stop sign waiting for traffic to clear!

SPetty~~After that, thinks "brain buckets" are a good idea...

04-17-2002, 12:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> do not, ever, never, never... tailgate a motorcycle.

i have a real interest in this one. either stay back or pass but remember; if he needs to, that bike can stop in something like half the distance you can which means that if he locks 'em up, you've got a new hood ornament.

good luck

dan <hr></blockquote>
Dan,
That is near and dear to my heart! There is a reason for loud bikes(besides trying to be cool); I want someone to know I'm there because "I just didn't see em!" is a poor excuse for running me over!

04-17-2002, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eric:</font><hr> That is near and dear to my heart! There is a reason for loud bikes(besides trying to be cool); I want someone to know I'm there because "I just didn't see em!" is a poor excuse for running me over! <hr></blockquote>

you know you've got the pipes tuned right when you can set off car alarms just by cruising past.

dan...on the way to the poolroom. there, now it's pool related.

Rod
04-17-2002, 12:25 PM
Dan, I'll tell you it works both ways. Driving along one day in my Vette I had a bike come up behind me. I noticed this guy got to close for the speed. I needed to make a turn but was curious if the bike could stop or slow down enough. I used my turn signal in plenty of time but he held his distance. The turn was now upon me, so I had to use more brake pressure. I looked in my mirror and this guy was going to hit me in the rear. I barely started my turn, but instead went straight and nailed the throttle. I swear I could see the fear in his eyes, and he barely kept from hitting me. Had I turned he would have nailed me in the rear. Lucky for that boy I pay attention on all sides. With large 4 wheel disc brakes, Vette's stop real quick. The unsuspecting bike rider is use to cars that stop slow.

I had bikes for years so I know where your comming from on this issue. My last two had disc brakes and stopped pretty quick. They were older and did not have quite the large tire size that bikes use today, I think. Anyway people shouldn't tailgate, they just don't know how quick some bikes or cars can stop if they have too. It not like your following the lincolin town car!!
BTW I no longer own a bike. I had to run up on the sidewalk or other places one to many times to avoid being hit!

Barbara
04-17-2002, 12:26 PM
...toss anything out of your car if you're in front of a motorcycle, either.

Barbara~~~almost bought it on a tossed lit cigarette...

stickman
04-17-2002, 12:50 PM
Yes indeed, the "I didn't see them" can be bad. I had it happen to me once. I was taking a customer's bike out to test (I worked at a motorcycle shop) and an elderly lady decided to make a left turn right in front of me. Were it not for my flat-track racing experience, I probably would have been seriously hurt. I knew I couldn't stop, so I layed the bike down, flat-track style. I was slidding on the pavement pretty much on top of the bike. My front wheel clipped her rear bumper, and I stopped shortly after that. Most of the damage was to the motorcycle. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

MaineEAck
04-17-2002, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all the driving advice, I will listen it all, well most of it! Haha, I am heading to my folks camp WAY WAY up north in Maine. Then I am coming home on Friday and get the house and the weekend to myself! Will finish the 4 sneaky petes that I am working on... If anyone out there wants one.. Let me know VIA E-mail or PM maineeackpool@yahoo.com I will have pictures as soon as I go back to school.
Thanks everyone for all of the advice, I really appreciate the help that I can get from people on this board!

SPetty
04-17-2002, 02:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> And NEVER ...toss anything out of your car if you're in front of a motorcycle, either.

Barbara~~~almost bought it on a tossed lit cigarette... <hr></blockquote>

Although... A motorcyclist once told me (and this may help HDJ) that he carried tennis balls with him, for the express purpose of letting them go under his left armpit if there was an aggressive car too close behind him on the freeway...

SPetty~~Not condoning, just passing along...