PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Day

Wally_in_Cincy
11-11-2003, 07:32 AM
I would personally like to thank all the veterans.

http://www.nato.int/sfor/nations/various/mcgovern/us-soldier.jpg

I salute you.

I think all veterans should not have to work today and everybody else should.

Qtec
11-11-2003, 10:38 AM
I thought today was for all those who fought in the 'World Wars [1 and 2]. This guy seems a bit young.

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
11-11-2003, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> I thought today was for all those who fought in the 'World Wars [1 and 2]. This guy seems a bit young.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Veterans Day honors all veterans.

Kato
11-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Yes, Happy Veterans Day to all, especially my Dad and Grandfathers.

Kato

Bruins Fan
11-11-2003, 11:30 AM
I would personally like to thank all the veterans.

"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.
And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Major Michael Davis O'Donnell
1 January 1970
Dak To, Vietnam
Listed as KIA February 7, 1978

cheesemouse
11-11-2003, 11:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> I thought today was for all those who fought in the 'World Wars [1 and 2]. This guy seems a bit young.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Two days ago the local National Guard unit from my home town was called up, they have until Dec 12th to get their homefronts in order...I think this day is in honor of those troops and their familys......this is a town of 10,000 and I think the unit numbers 200 hundred. I personally know most to these guys/gals and I will think of them everyday they are gone...Veterans Day began with WWI but in America we don't discriminate, we include all that serve....

Qtec
11-11-2003, 11:44 AM
Tell me what you think of this.

George (http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20030731-110948-7282r.htm)

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
11-11-2003, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Tell me what you think of this.

George (http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20030731-110948-7282r.htm)

Q <hr /></blockquote>

I think it loads too slow so I did not read it and considering the links you usually put up I think it's probably completely off the topic of Veterans Day, therefore I think you may be doltish and unstable, with your hatred of Bush consuming your brain like flesh-eating bacteria. That's what I think.

Now, back to the original topic, the veterans who saved your pitious little country from the Teutonic hordes.

cheesemouse
11-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Like Wally I couldn't get it to load... but I probably tried harder than he did... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
11-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Here is the text...

[ QUOTE ]
Analysis: Iraq ruling no real win for Bush

By Michael Kirkland
UPI Legal Affairs Correspondent

WASHINGTON, July 31 (UPI) -- A federal judge's ruling this week reinforces presidential authority but it leaves former U.S. prisoners of war from the first Iraq war holding the bag -- and an empty bag at that.

In fact, if there was ever a Pyrrhic political and legal victory for President George W. Bush, this may be it. The case could even seep into the 2004 race for the White House.

The ruling leaves the president in control of $1.7 billion in seized Iraqi assets for use in "rebuilding Iraq" -- presumably that includes the country's oilfields.

"The decision preserves the president's ability to conduct foreign affairs," a Justice Department statement said after the ruling, "and ensures that the assets of the former Iraqi regime remain available for the use and benefit of the Iraqi people."

But it also leaves former U.S. military personnel who underwent "unspeakable" torture in the service of their country at least temporarily out in the cold.

The case began when 17 former POWs from the 1991 Gulf War, led by Col. Clifford Acree, and 37 of their close family members filed suit against Iraq.

"The POWs were brutally tortured by military and civilian agents of Saddam Hussein's Iraqi government," U.S. District Judge Richard Roberts wrote in his Wednesday opinion. "The physical and emotional damage was unspeakable."

Iraq also refused to notify the International Red Cross of the POWs' condition.

The POWs and their families actually won a judgment against Iraq, more than $650 million, in early July.

They then tried to attach seized Iraq assets in this country under the provisions of the Terrorism Risk Insurance Act.

That's when they ran into a roadblock.

The president seized the assets in March by executive order, but acting under congressional authority. Of the $1.7 billion seized, Bush set aside $120 million to satisfy those who had previously won judgments against Iraq.

The key word there is "previously." Bush's order came in March, but the POWs didn't win their case until July.

Moreover, Congress gave the president authority in April to exempt any terrorist country from TRIA, and Bush exercised that authority in regard to Iraq in May.

The POWs' case at first appeared to be going well.

They successfully asked for a temporary restraining order preventing Treasury Secretary John Snow from spending down the special account containing the seized assets to less than $650 million.

At that point, they offered to settle with the government for a lesser sum.

"It was an unrequited gesture," the judge said in his opinion Wednesday. "According to the government, the president has the authority to designate a variety of assets seized from Iraq as available to satisfy the compensatory awards to POW torture victims, but has chosen not to do so."

Instead, government lawyers for Snow asked for summary judgment, which Roberts granted Wednesday, at the same time lifting the restraining order.

"The secretary's position that the POWs are unable to recover any portion of their judgment as requested, despite their sacrifice in the service of their country, seems extreme," the judge said. "Yet he is correct that the Congress and the president have withdrawn TRIA as an available mechanism for the (POWs and their families) to use to satisfy their judgment."

Roberts was so apologetic in handing down the ruling that he closed his opinion with a rueful quote from the Supreme Court's opinion in 1953's Rosenberg vs. United States (vacating the death stays for Julius and Ethel Rosenberg):

"Though the penalty is great and (the) responsibility is heavy, (the court's) duty is clear."

Lawyers for the POWs and their families indicated almost immediately they would appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

However, if the judge's ruling is upheld, and it almost certainly will be, the only recourse for the POWs would be the political arena.

It would not be surprising if early next year there was some movement in Congress for special legislation to pay at least part of the POW awards -- not $38 million a person, but some part of it. Especially if it turns out that a good part of the $120 million set aside for previous Iraqi judgments, and which can't be touched by the POWs, goes to U.S. corporations.

It would not even be surprising to see the White House doing a complete turn-around and deciding that the POWs deserve some compensation after all.

<hr /></blockquote> I did not read all of it, I was just wondering if someone could tell me what it has to do with veterans day.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
11-11-2003, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>
I did not read all of it, I was just wondering if someone could tell me what it has to do with veterans day.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

He's saying Bush is screwing the former POW's. Only Q could turn Veterans Day into a Bush-bash /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It would not even be surprising to see the White House doing a complete turn-around and deciding that the POWs deserve some compensation after all.<hr /></blockquote>

I can see this happening.

Q wants to blame Bush for every single thing that happens here. I guess not a sparrow falls without some nefarious action by the omnipotent Dubya /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

pooljunkie73
11-11-2003, 03:28 PM
I would like to thank all the current and veteran Candian and United States military personnel. Without them where would we be? My brother-in-law is currently stationed in Aphganistan, everytime you see something on the news about there you worry.

Q, why pick this thread to start your bullshit. Make a new post if you want to, just keep it off this one. Have some respect for the veterans and current military personnel.

Kent Mc.

Qtec
11-11-2003, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's saying Bush is screwing the former POW's. <hr /></blockquote>

Correct.
See, that wasnt so difficult. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Q

Qtec
11-11-2003, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Q, why pick this thread to start your bullshit. Make a new post if you want to, just keep it off this one. Have some respect for the veterans and current military personnel <hr /></blockquote>

Its not bullshit, its fact.

I think I have more respect for veterans than GW.

Whats more important to GW, how many soldiers died today or how he is doing in the polls?

Q