PDA

View Full Version : What triggers you into deadstroke?

UWPoolGod
11-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Seems to me that there is some higher level of concentration that must be attained for deadstroke to be reached. Everything is in focus. Not thinking about the shot...it is going in...not thinking the leave...it is rolling perfect to where is is supposed to go. Open table...the game is over.

I have been playing pretty solid for the past few months, running out consistently but still missing easy outs. Last night, for the first time in forever I got in deadstroke heading through the losers bracket after a loss in a 9ball tourney. Normally I would have just tried to fight my way through, missing a ball here or there, but last night I got "triggered" into deadstroke.

A very good local player, pissed at missing several shots against an weaker player (and eventually losing) beat his $1500 Hunter cue on the table twice (hard enough for dents I am sure) and later jousted it at the cueball after he lost. This immediatley got me focused and triggered in my current match, won 3-0, and the next since I had to play him next to get to at least 3rd. He started the same antics which fueled my fire and I beat him 3-1 with two BNR's and a run out on his scratched break. Since I got to keep playing right away I beat the guy to get to a at least 2nd 3-0 with 2 BNR's. Then I steamrolled over the guy on point 3-0, 3-1 to win with 5 runouts from his or my break. Man it is a great feeling getting in that frame of mind...maybe it was the bad Karaoke (sp?) in the background I was pissed at. In all those games I think I missed one shot.

Has anything "triggered" you to getting into deadstroke? Do you have certain routines you follow to make it easier? For me it is usually a half-pissed-angry type of focus expression on my face with my eyes looking up towards my eyebrows...like a tiger ready to strike. Must focus better on the balls that way, keeping the head down on the one hit spot. What are your thoughts?

Wally_in_Cincy
11-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Well, I have never played that well, but the times I have played "over my head" just happened to coincide with the times I was practicing diligently 5 or more days a week.

Fred Agnir
11-11-2003, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Has anything "triggered" you to getting into deadstroke? <hr /></blockquote>I guess I've always played better when I have the table down. So, if I'm still hanging around near the end of the table, I'm usually playing my best because by that time, I certainly have the table down. Unlike really good player, I don't adjust to table conditions so quickly.

On the occassion that the table conditions and my style of play (including stroke, speed choices, pattern choices) match well, I'll be in deadstroke from early on.

Fred

Ralph S.
11-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Anger is what usually will trigger me. Keep in mind not being upset with myself but usually something that the opponent has done that is unethical in game or sportsmanship terms.

sack316
11-11-2003, 02:30 PM
for some reason just the right mixture of anger and focus get me in line too. Suddenly everything becomes so clear as far as where every ball will wind up if I hit it this way or that way. best example was in a league match against one of the top local players. It was the last match my girl was going to get to watch me in before she went off to basic training so I wanted to win, but he proceeded to run off the first 40 points with me shooting only once (snookered of course). Next thing I knew it was 58-3 on the count, my 3 coming from a miraculous (or lucky) kick shot on the 8 then making the 9. Then dry on break but got a lucky leave. Looked at the score and so happens at the same time the cubs were about to blow a lead on the big screen, something snapped in me and I just went off. He still won 75-37, my one ball away was a beautiful bank on the 7 ball that jawed out of the pocket. But, even he admitted that for that little while in a straight race nobody could beat me. I try to use that as inspiration and have lost only one match since.

fast n loose
11-11-2003, 08:08 PM
Really a great question. The mental side is what makes the best athletes so consistent, and able to replicate the "zone" seemingly on command.

Anger can be an effective means of getting into your proper mindset, but for me it has been too inconsistent and has too many bad side effects (impatience, raised heart rate, etc.). There are a few other tactics you can use to put yourself in the same frame of mind every time you step up to the table. Do you go through a similar regimen of warmup, including stretching, before each time you practice or compete? Do you have specific relaxation, visualization, and/or dislocation techiques to help you get your mind in the same place every time? How much deep breathing do you do during a match? You make a couple of great points about the mental translating into the physical: 1)"Not thinking about the shot...it is going in...not thinking the leave...it is rolling perfect to where is is supposed to go" and 2)"Must focus better on the balls that way, keeping the head down on the one hit spot." This is a situation where your conscious mind has gotten out of the way, your subconscious mind has taken over the execution of the technique--and your subconscious can do it much better than your conscious mind ever could.

How many players keep a daily journal of their practice and competition sessions, to have a record of what works, what doesn't, and what's repeatable?

Rick the stick
11-11-2003, 09:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Seems to me that there is some higher level of concentration that must be attained for deadstroke to be reached. Everything is in focus. Not thinking about the shot...it is going in...not thinking the leave...it is rolling perfect to where is is supposed to go. Open table...the game is over.

I have been playing pretty solid for the past few months, running out consistently but still missing easy outs. Last night, for the first time in forever I got in deadstroke heading through the losers bracket after a loss in a 9ball tourney. Normally I would have just tried to fight my way through, missing a ball here or there, but last night I got "triggered" into deadstroke.

A very good local player, pissed at missing several shots against an weaker player (and eventually losing) beat his $1500 Hunter cue on the table twice (hard enough for dents I am sure) and later jousted it at the cueball after he lost. This immediatley got me focused and triggered in my current match, won 3-0, and the next since I had to play him next to get to at least 3rd. He started the same antics which fueled my fire and I beat him 3-1 with two BNR's and a run out on his scratched break. Since I got to keep playing right away I beat the guy to get to a at least 2nd 3-0 with 2 BNR's. Then I steamrolled over the guy on point 3-0, 3-1 to win with 5 runouts from his or my break. Man it is a great feeling getting in that frame of mind...maybe it was the bad Karaoke (sp?) in the background I was pissed at. In all those games I think I missed one shot.

Has anything "triggered" you to getting into deadstroke? Do you have certain routines you follow to make it easier? For me it is usually a half-pissed-angry type of focus expression on my face with my eyes looking up towards my eyebrows...like a tiger ready to strike. Must focus better on the balls that way, keeping the head down on the one hit spot. What are your thoughts? <hr /></blockquote>

This Rickie, to answer your question, Zen and preprogramed codes and commands, I can go in and out at will, I can also teach this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cycopath
11-11-2003, 10:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote fast n loose:</font><hr>Anger can be an effective means of getting into your proper mindset...<hr /></blockquote>

Anger really works well for my wife. When I start telling her how she flubbed up her shot or what terrible position she justed play she gets PISSED, and then starts potting balls bigtime. It's really kind of scary. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheesemouse
11-11-2003, 11:11 PM
UWPoolGod,

First and foremost is 'interest' in what I'm doing. What makes me interested? Sometimes money, sometimes pride, sometimes angrer and sometimes just show'n off.....LOL I never get there while playing for fun though, I get to wild when I'm having fun...you gotta love the zone...

SecaucusFats
11-11-2003, 11:12 PM
A bowl of good sinse will do it everytime. /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Fats

bluewolf
11-12-2003, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Well, I have never played that well, but the times I have played "over my head" just happened to coincide with the times I was practicing diligently 5 or more days a week.

<hr /></blockquote>

Me neither, wally. I am just now getting half-way decent. I play my best, whether you call zone or not, when I consciously tell my body to slow down. Then thoughts and nerves leave and also outside distractions.

Laura

RUNaRAK
11-12-2003, 06:50 AM
"Pleasures of Small Motions" the best book I have read on the mental side. Way too much info to write down here, but I found it to be great. I believe I have almost every book on the subject produced in the past 20 yrs. It is the tops for the mental game..dead stroke., etc..

griffith_d
11-12-2003, 10:00 PM
I start praticing just hitting the balls easy not really caring just in a relaxed state of mind. Then slowly increasing focus and attention to body and mind until I am at full "swing".

Being tight at first only gets my nerves on edge and will miss some easy ones.

Griff