PDA

View Full Version : I WATCHED POOL HALL JUNKIES

BLACKHEART
11-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Our "BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO only has 1 copy, so I had to wait awhile to see this movie. I LIKED IT. Sure, they shoot to hard, do too many bank shots & one of the Hustlers plays with a crappy fiberglass Q, but I liked it. They BORROWED a lot from "THE COLOR OF MONEY", like a narrative at the beginning & the rapid fire shots of balls, being slammed in, one after another, but it was entertaining...JER

Tom_In_Cincy
11-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Christopher Walken played my favorite character in this movie. His part of being the wealthy backer was just GREAT.

From my point of veiw:
The story line was weak, the pool shots were weak, the acting was just a hair over weak. (except for Mr. Walken)

Some of the hustles were just stale and old.

But, for the newer/younger pool players, this had to be (IMO) a 'good' movie.

Not even close to being a distant 3rd to #1 "The Hustler" or #2 'COM'

I would rank it as being even with "The Baltimore Bullet"

It's worth the watch for any pool player.

TheChump
11-11-2003, 12:58 PM
The movie was so, so. The movie should have evolved around the many situations that come up in a pool hall. More hustling, more deceptions, more fights, more "bad mouthing", and all the bull$hit one has to endure when you are a good or bad player. No good looking ladies, no bad looking ladies, no sex scenes, no beer drinking, no drugs, no real action. The script should have been more about what makes a person a "pool hall junkie."

In my opinion; should have been a little better.

Perk
11-11-2003, 01:28 PM
I agree, some more thought could have went into this movie. One example I would have done different. Instead of all the bullshitting going on in the diner, this could have happened at the poolhall, waiting for some action. Show some scenes playing cards during the down time, and having people come into the hall beggin for some game......just a quick thought.

smfsrca
11-11-2003, 04:43 PM
As far as plot and story line the movie was ok. Nothing special run-of-the-mill stuff.
Where the movie really failed is in it's attention to the details of the game. Either they did not employ or listen to a technical advisor, or employed one that was useless.
Unlike the Hustler and The Color of Money which had proper technical advisors and for the most part listened to them.
The Hustler - Willie Mosconi
The Color of Money - Mike Segal

I can't wait until I see the next group of young movie influenced new players bringing their violin cases to the pool hall. This single violation of technical accuracy was enough to destroy any authenticity and turn it into a big joke.