PDA

View Full Version : Break Cue Physics

Bassn7
11-11-2003, 12:38 PM
What are the current methods for producing the best break cues? (Lighter, heavier, no flex, more flex etc.) Who is doing what to make these cues more effective?

UWPoolGod
11-11-2003, 12:53 PM
I have recently thought about the same thing. I just got my custom cue and am currently breaking with my Scruggs sneaky pete. Its a little whippy for breaking. I might ask my maker to make me a plain jane break cue, just for breaking. I figure around an 18 oz would be good, but would I want a thicker MM shaft on it? Steel joint? Thicker butt end? What hard tip? I'll go search the archives, but just wanted to throw some questions out there.

UTAddb
11-11-2003, 12:56 PM
Logically I would think the harder the tip, the better.

Kato
11-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Mr. Agnir, please handle my light work /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato~~~doesn't know a darn thing about break cues just that I use them to break /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooljunkie73
11-11-2003, 03:20 PM
IMO, you want a stiff shaft,light weight (17-18oz.), phenolic tip or the hardest you can possibly get. I believe the sledgehammer uses a wood to wood joint.

Kent Mc.

Fred Agnir
11-11-2003, 03:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Mr. Agnir, please handle my light work /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
<hr /></blockquote>Alrighty.

Most of the newer break cues are going with a very hard tip. Some are going to a phenolic that's super hard, but not so hard that they destroy cueballs. Harder, more dense material means less energy loss.

The Predator BK (which uses a hard water buffalo tip, I believe) has balanced the weight farther back. I think this is a good idea because if the weight is closer to your grip hand, then the weight may help to resist waywardness due to a (warning: physics-speak) higher moment of inertia. In other words, you have to work less to keep the cue straight for the break shot. The downside is that it may feel heavier since the weight isn't more evenly distributed.

I'm still one that believes that comfortability in the hands is more important than break cue weight. The energy associated with the break cue stick (regarding speed and mass only) is most reliant on the method of delivery. And comfortability would be of the most importance, IMO. Add to that the ability to hit the cueball solid with a good stroke (which many instructors believe to be more important than speed in, say, 9-ball), and I think the importance of comfortability becomes paramount. To that end, I've alway broke better with my playing cue than a separate break cue.

Fred

SPetty
11-11-2003, 04:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>comfortability<hr /></blockquote>Not in any on-line dictionary I can find!

I like it though...

Ralph S.
11-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Hey Spetty, that word came out of Fred's top secret physics dictionary. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif