PDA

View Full Version : Day or night, What is your prefrence?

nAz
11-11-2003, 03:28 PM
So I switched over to playing pool in the day (various reasons why) and and i noticed that my game was much better then it was when i play at night. Maybe because i am not as tired or sleepy but it seems like i can see the aiming spot on the OBs clearly then i could in the evening, still there are nights that i am well rested and i still do not shoot as well. I think i will try to play people in the day for now on.

anyone have a prefrence day or night?
I hope this poll works if not just write out your answers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cycopath
11-11-2003, 03:46 PM
NIGHT!
http://www.usatoday.com/life/gallery/scarymovies/dracula.jpg

UWPoolGod
11-11-2003, 04:07 PM
I also prefer at night. Don't get sunshine glare coming in from the street. That would be my only "glaring" difference in my book. Bar tables are normally free during the day though.

Do you think that your shooting better could come from less smoke due to not as many kids? LOL

PQQLK9
11-11-2003, 04:19 PM
ROTFLMAO

Vagabond
11-11-2003, 06:15 PM
Hey my friend nAz,
Is that anything to do with `Chuglugga`at evenings and nights.If so,u may consider changing it to a weaker brand like Guinness. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifCheers
Vagabond

Rick the stick
11-11-2003, 08:52 PM
Yo naz, how ya doin, hope to be up again soon and come by and play you some 3-cushion once more. We just got going and had to quit.
To Cycopath, love your new picture of you.
Cyco, your soup and fish outfit is smashin dude. That is the same outfit Hoppe used to perform in. Soup and fish means white tie and tails. Ole fatty used to say, puttin a real pool player in a tux is like puttin whipped cream on a hot dog, ah yes. Look at all dem bums runnin around lookin like penguins, un beeee leave able. You know what the difference between a 3= cushion player is from a real pool player. Da billiard guy is just a well dressed pool bum. How do ya get a new college graduate off of your porch?
Pay him for the pizza. Willie Moss cone e, I could beat dat bum wit one hand tied behind my back, ah yes. Mosss cone e. He wonít play for half a pop.

People have different bio rhythms. Some are up before the rooster crows, if one crows in my back yard, dead bird, I do not do mornings. Some hit their peak at llam, my peak is llpm. All of my high runs occurred over the years by coming in for lunch at 11:30 am and playing at noon. I was well rested the night before. There was no pressure or heat on the match. I was dead sober as a judge. At different times over the years during the day I ran 272 at straight, 8 racks of 8 ball, 9 racks of 9 ball, 75 in a row at rotation, 3 racks in a row of cribbage, 10 at 3-cushion, a century at snooker on a 6x12. I never did a GD thing of merit after 9pm.

During the day the lighting is better due to the sunlight coming in the windows. The joint is cool then; the brain operates best at 72 degrees. Later the joint gets hot and sticky. The brain gets foggy then. There is zero smoke when the joint opens, later it lies on the ceiling like a LA smog bank, and this affects your vision and your mind.
Early there are no punks running past your shot and beer waitresses coming by who donít give a damn you are pulling the trigger on a $200 9 ball. There are 9 bad distractions going on then that do not occur early.

Early the joint is quiet, like a church, you can think. There are no drunks who play the juke box which kicks off with a db level equal to the space shuttle launch.

For me it was the booze, I never touched a drink until 5 pm, but in my younger days when I was off work, I would get down and party hard dude. At 5pm I was runnin racks, by 9pm I could not get out from the 5, by midnight I could not run 3 friggin balls. Half the time I did not know my zip code by then. I used top love my Scotch and Cognac. Over the years I have tapered off my drinking to where now itís what the doctors tell me is within proper medical limits and a social light drinker. That means you no longer have any damn fun and canít drink enough to even get a buzz on. God I hate doctors.

A lot of those guys gambling at 2 or 3 am are drunks or druggies and they stay up as an excuse to keep the high rolling. You want to play and match up with them, do it a 9pm and tell them, itís now or never because I have a job to go to in the morning. I do not play late. If you are not a drunk or druggie it is never in your best interest to play these people late. Playing them before they get wired is in your best interest.

I have had a firm rule since 1973 that I will not stay in any bar or pool hall after midnight. I have an alarm that goes off on my watch, when it dings, I do not care what is going on, I shut it down and just walk out. Nothing is more stupid than to chase some chick all night long. At midnight I said, itís now or never, or you coming or not, fish or cut bait. In a pool hall nothing ever good happens after midnight that is when all the bad stuff goes down and you can get into trouble. All of my TV shows and important performances have been during the day. Yes, during the day is best for me, but not for everyone, there are too many other factors at work with other people.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
11-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Any time of day will do just fine for me! Although I haven't been playing much lately anymore, I'd probably prefer day time for serious practicing and night time for playing with others.

Keith Talent
11-11-2003, 09:51 PM
I play better in the afternoon, when it's quiet and there's nobody on nearby tables to throw off my, err, rhythm, if it could be called that.

But with recent additions to family, I've had to squeeze in a couple of hours whenever ... lately, that has been from 1 to 4 in the morning. Can't say I'm shooting so hot at that hour, but I have my moments ... more lacking in consistency than usual, though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Naz ... maybe you'd like to spot me the 5 and the 7 some afternoon? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
11-12-2003, 06:26 AM
Most people's lowest point is 3-5pm and same time in the middle of the night. In general this is true for most with a few exceptions. Some people actually get grouchy during this time, others just feel wiped.

When I was playing league, I would be so tired between 4 and 5 pm, I dreaded going. Once that passed though and it was 6pm,my energy returned.

For the same reason, I am good in the day as long as play is complete before 3pm.

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
11-12-2003, 07:34 AM
I definitely play better in the day. At our annual Hamiltucky APA city tourney the matches start at 9:30 am . I always play well in those and it helps that I often am playing against someone who's not a morning person.

On Thursday league night I frequently play last because I'm the captain and I'm going to be there anyway. When starting a match at 11:00 pm I often get beat by much lesser players simply due to the fatigue factor.

I won a little 8-man tourney last month that started at 2:00 pm Saturday. That's the best I have played in a while.

nAz
11-12-2003, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> Hey my friend nAz,
Is that anything to do with `Chuglugga`at evenings and nights.If so,u may consider changing it to a weaker brand like Guinness. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifCheers
Vagabond <hr /></blockquote>

Vaga! how the hell are you? oh and whats your latest lcation? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hey man Guiness is not weak, it taste like ashes but its not weak. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nAz
11-12-2003, 02:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rick the stick:</font><hr> Yo naz, how ya doin, hope to be up again soon and come by and play you some 3-cushion once more. We just got going and had to quit.

People have different bio rhythms. Some are up before the rooster crows, if one crows in my back yard, dead bird, I do not do mornings. Some hit their peak at llam, my peak is llpm. All of my high runs occurred over the years by coming in for lunch at 11:30 am and playing at noon. I was well rested the night before. There was no pressure or heat on the match. I was dead sober as a judge. At different times over the years during the day I ran 272 at straight, 8 racks of 8 ball, 9 racks of 9 ball, 75 in a row at rotation, 3 racks in a row of cribbage, 10 at 3-cushion, a century at snooker on a 6x12. I never did a GD thing of merit after 9pm.

During the day the lighting is better due to the sunlight coming in the windows. The joint is cool then; the brain operates best at 72 degrees. Later the joint gets hot and sticky. The brain gets foggy then. There is zero smoke when the joint opens, later it lies on the ceiling like a LA smog bank, and this affects your vision and your mind.
Early there are no punks running past your shot and beer waitresses coming by who don?t give a damn you are pulling the trigger on a $200 9 ball. There are 9 bad distractions going on then that do not occur early.

Early the joint is quiet, like a church, you can think. There are no drunks who play the juke box which kicks off with a db level equal to the space shuttle launch.

For me it was the booze, I never touched a drink until 5 pm, but in my younger days when I was off work, I would get down and party hard dude. At 5pm I was runnin racks, by 9pm I could not get out from the 5, by midnight I could not run 3 friggin balls. Half the time I did not know my zip code by then. I used top love my Scotch and Cognac. Over the years I have tapered off my drinking to where now it?s what the doctors tell me is within proper medical limits and a social light drinker. That means you no longer have any damn fun and can?t drink enough to even get a buzz on. God I hate doctors.

A lot of those guys gambling at 2 or 3 am are drunks or druggies and they stay up as an excuse to keep the high rolling. You want to play and match up with them, do it a 9pm and tell them, it?s now or never because I have a job to go to in the morning. I do not play late. If you are not a drunk or druggie it is never in your best interest to play these people late. Playing them before they get wired is in your best interest.

I have had a firm rule since 1973 that I will not stay in any bar or pool hall after midnight. I have an alarm that goes off on my watch, when it dings, I do not care what is going on, I shut it down and just walk out. Nothing is more stupid than to chase some chick all night long. At midnight I said, it?s now or never, or you coming or not, fish or cut bait. In a pool hall nothing ever good happens after midnight that is when all the bad stuff goes down and you can get into trouble. All of my TV shows and important performances have been during the day. Yes, during the day is best for me, but not for everyone, there are too many other factors at work with other people.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

hey FL ya when ever your in NYC look me up, i'd like to finish that 3C game.

dude 75 balls in rotation??? you da man /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

so you think 72 degs. is that best temperture for a pool player to shoot his best? i wonder if there is something to that, cuase i definataley play better in the winter when i feel a little on the cool side.

nAz
11-12-2003, 02:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> I play better in the afternoon, when it's quiet and there's nobody on nearby tables to throw off my, err, rhythm, if it could be called that.

But with recent additions to family, I've had to squeeze in a couple of hours whenever ... lately, that has been from 1 to 4 in the morning. Can't say I'm shooting so hot at that hour, but I have my moments ... more lacking in consistency than usual, though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Naz ... maybe you'd like to spot me the 5 and the 7 some afternoon? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I'll give anyone the 7 if they put up 3-1 on the money /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
dude drop by Ovington on a thursday night they have a fun tourney there, $15 entry fee double elimi. and you may get to play Jean B. or Gerda Hof. or even better me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Keith Talent
11-12-2003, 03:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>
I'll give anyone the 7 if they put up 3-1 on the money /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

That's the best offer I've heard in months! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Hope I can drop by HOF sometime, once the young guns are sleeping through the night ... these days my only hope is a a quick cab ride to Amsterdam between middle-of-the-night feedings.

Tourney sounds good ... possible we'll be moving down that way soon in search of space ... staying in Manhattan's hopeless if I don't win the lottery -- or if you won't give me the 5 &amp; 7 and shoot one-handed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric.
11-12-2003, 05:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rick the stick:</font><hr> At different times over the years during the day I ran, 75 in a row at rotation, <hr /></blockquote>

hey FL ya when ever your in NYC look me up, i'd like to finish that 3C game.

dude 75 balls in rotation??? you da man /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

I believe Fast Pinocchio used to say he ran 60 in Rotation, now it's 75? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Eric &gt;the older I get, the better I was

nAz
11-12-2003, 06:49 PM
<hr /></blockquote>

I believe Fast Pinocchio used to say he ran 60 in Rotation, now it's 75? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Eric &gt;the older I get, the better I was <hr /></blockquote> hehe

hey i think i will ask you to come down the same night and see if we could have a Pow wow /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nAz
11-12-2003, 06:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>
<hr /></blockquote>
Tourney sounds good ... possible we'll be moving down that way soon in search of space ... staying in Manhattan's hopeless if I don't win the lottery -- or if you won't give me the 5 &amp; 7 and shoot one-handed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

2 bed room going for about $11 - $1500

I'll give Steve Lipsky the last two if he puts up 3 - 1 on the money.

err he has to play one handed /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dg-in-centralpa
11-12-2003, 07:08 PM
i can play just as good or just as bad at either time. Somketimes it doesn't matter when if I had some long necks or not.

DG - who lost 3 in a row last night

Eric.
11-13-2003, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>

hey i think i will ask you to come down the same night and see if we could have a Pow wow /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

I'll play. I'm just not interested in hearing all the built in excuses he falls back on if he loses i.e.-racked with arthritis, had a stroke, is crippled, can't see any more, dog ate his homework, etc...but in the same breath says; he's fit as a fiddle, 50th degree Black Belt, making a comeback, does shows for hours on end (standing).

Like they say, "If you're gonna sing it, better be able to bring it."

Eric &gt;I'm only an SL 3

Rick the stick
11-13-2003, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>

<hr /></blockquote>

I'll play. I'm just not interested in hearing all the built in excuses he falls back on if he loses i.e.-racked with arthritis, had a stroke, is crippled, can't see any more, dog ate his homework, etc...but in the same breath says; he's fit as a fiddle, 50th degree Black Belt, making a comeback, does shows for hours on end (standing).

Like they say, "If you're gonna sing it, better be able to bring it."

Eric &gt;I'm only an SL 3 <hr /></blockquote>

Oh for crying out loud, when are you going to give this thing a rest. Do I come on listing a long string of insults to your name as you have just done. When do you grown up, stop wearing dipers and buy a pair of pants kid. When you do you might try wearing the diper on your head so you can fit it with the people who live around you. You did not read the story as written, it was a 60 ball run, calling every shot, including the one ball into the right side pocket, which is not necessary in the rules, all you have to do is make a ball on the break to begin your run. 60 balls were ran, 4 racks, 4 times the one ball was make on the break in the side pocket. On the 5th rack, the one did not pot on the break but another ball did, the cue was laid down on the table and I took a break and drank a scotch. I then picked the cue back up and ran the last rack out and left leaving the run unfinished, I could have kept going.
The claim was and always has been, 60 balls calling every ball including the break ball. That is a record. I did run 75 by the standard rules. You can believe it, or not, that gives you choice a or b does it not? So you do not believe it, trust me, I will not lose any sleep over that tonight, what you believe or do not believe is of absolutely no concern to me, you are a bozo who cant run 3 friggin balls, how could you possibly believe any one could be that much better than you.

9 Ball Girl
11-13-2003, 11:18 AM
Naz, you are such the rebel rouser!

Wendy&lt;---misses Ricky Winkler...

nAz
11-13-2003, 12:34 PM
Hey I'm just trying to broker a peace here. I want them both to show up in NYC sit down with me and buy me a drink or two and maybe some food /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

to quote Rodney king "can't we all just get nAz a drink ?"

On a serious note last night at 1am i ran 37 ball 14.1, but in a race to 125 i scratched 14 times /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif. maybe this day and night thing is all in my head. uh my body temp was around 72 degs when i did it.

Eric.
11-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Wanna play some?

Eric

Rick the stick
11-13-2003, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> Hey I'm just trying to broker a peace here. I want them both to show up in NYC sit down with me and buy me a drink or two and maybe some food /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

to quote Rodney king "can't we all just get nAz a drink ?"

On a serious note last night at 1am i ran 37 ball 14.1, but in a race to 125 i scratched 14 times /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif. maybe this day and night thing is all in my head. uh my body temp was around 72 degs when i did it.

<hr /></blockquote>

So broker a peace, that is what I am trying to do here, be at peace with everyone who will let me be, some I realize never will, he shot off his mouth at me, not me at him. I can't help it I did these damn things, I did, what am I supposed to do now, lie and say I lied. Believe me, that one has been suggested to me. That has even been offered to me by high up people, let us have some of these records and then we can show you some respect. Just say you did not do them and I'll claim them.

Let's do this, I come back to your joint, we play some 3-culshion early so we don't get bothered. Later you can have da bozo over and I'll buy him a drink, I assume he drinks milk and I'll try to get to know him and talk this thing out. How's that one sound. If that don't work then I'll just turn the 135 lb German shepherd loose and say Max, dinner is served. Just kidding. Let there be peace, don't mess wit da stick dudes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

smfsrca
11-13-2003, 02:35 PM
You got it, yes, I prefer day or night.
When I enter the hall and that door closes behind me, at that moment, time is suspended and day becomes night and night becomes day.

From "The Hustler":
As Fats bends over to shoot, Henry draws the Venetian blinds.
FATS
Will you cut that sunshine out?

From "Hustler Days":
Like Red and Lassiter, Fats lived a vampiric life, a life without clocks, ...

nAz
11-13-2003, 02:36 PM
Well now this is a good start, I hope all partys are serious about this I mean it would be the best thing that could happen as we enter the holiday seasons where we wish good will to all men and women.

so FL when will you be able to make to NYC, maybe i Eric could make it at the same time so you can both get me drunk. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nAz
11-13-2003, 02:36 PM
Well now this is a good start, I hope all partys are serious about this I mean it would be the best thing that could happen as we enter the holiday seasons where we wish good will to all men and women and get past our petty disputes.

so FL when will you be able to make to NYC, maybe i Eric could make it at the same time so you can both get me drunk. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif