PDA

View Full Version : Differences between pocket pool balls

TheArtOfHungFu
11-11-2003, 06:06 PM
I have trouble drawing the cue ball far as I would like on Aramith balls as oppossed to other brands. Does anybody have the same experience?

JimS
11-11-2003, 08:00 PM
I've become so accustomed to the red circle cue ball that I forget what characteristics the others have. That said the amount of draw is determined by a lot of factors. Like: the weight of the ball, how clean or dirty the cb is, whether it's been waxed, the type of cloth used the speed and angle of the stroke, the amount of follow through....and there are probably others I"m not remembering...since I'm no expert by a long shot.

And, I'm not sure if you mean that you are getting more draw from different cue ball or from differnt sets of balls in general. Be aware that certainly the balls other than the cb would not affect the amount of draw you get. Or..maybe a MUCH heavier ob would cause the cb to draw better???

Good players can see a difference in brands of cb's. I can....sometimes...but usually I just don't have the level of control needed to determine these small differences.

Rick the stick
11-11-2003, 09:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TheArtOfHungFu:</font><hr> I have trouble drawing the cue ball far as I would like on Aramith balls as oppossed to other brands. Does anybody have the same experience? <hr /></blockquote>

Hi this is rickie. Ruff up you tip with a file and lightly chalk it. Use a hard tip, like a triangle. Soft tips do nothing for you. If your place is giving you a house ball they are mostly junk rocks from the moon. If they have centinneal balls the blue circle draws poorly because its finish is the same as the object balls. I throw these away. The red circle was perfered because it drew better but nobody knew why. Higher polish, it was lighter in weight and smaller around than the object balls, not much, but enough to give it nice draw. The super pro aramith is the same size and weight as the ob's and has a polish equal to their carom balls. It is my prefered choice of cue ball. It is the best.

Does your place ever polish the cue balls. They have probably gotten old and the finish is wearing off or they just got dirty. Go buy a new super pro aramith cue ball and carry it in and play with your cb and not the house ball and watch the difference. It's good to tell the desk man it's your new ball coming in so he won't think your ripping his off when you leave. Buy a bottle of ball cleaning paste from the mueller catalog and every evening clean and polish the ball to get the chalk marks and dust off of it. Then you will have a cue ball to draw that is hotter than a brand new Pureto Rican credit card. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
11-12-2003, 08:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rick the stick:</font><hr> If they have centinneal balls the blue circle draws poorly because its finish is the same as the object balls. I throw these away.<hr /></blockquote> Throw them my way, then. I could always use extra cueballs.

[ QUOTE ]
The red circle was perfered because it drew better but nobody knew why. <hr /></blockquote> Ye of little faith. Maybe if you asked the question on the CCBoard, you would have learned the right answer. Shocking, I know.

Fred