PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Pool (news item)

PQQLK9
11-12-2003, 10:07 AM
George Washington shot pool. So did Mozart. Mark Twain played eight-ball eight hours a day. Even Abe Lincoln confessed he was addicted to billiards.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20031112/1039529.asp

Wally_in_Cincy
11-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Nick the News Dawg /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thanks.

I read a biography of Mozart once. His billiard table was worth more than his piano. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
He listened to the click of the balls and used the rhythms in his compositions.

[ QUOTE ]
WANTED: PLAYERS
The American Poolplayers Association of Erie County is looking for about 20 to 30 youths interested in playing pool to launch its junior leagues Saturday afternoon program <hr /></blockquote>

APA Junior League? Is this something new? What took them so long? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Fred Agnir
11-12-2003, 10:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> George Washington shot pool. So did Mozart. Mark Twain played eight-ball eight hours a day. Even Abe Lincoln confessed he was addicted to billiards. <hr /></blockquote> Doubtful. Mark Twain played billiards. Both on a Billiards Table and an English Billiards Table. He rarely played 8-ball or any pool as far as I've ever heard. If he played pool at all, it would have been General Pocket Billiards or some point count game. But not 8-ball most likely.

Did George Washington play pool? Was there a pool table available in 1776? Most of America up until the late 1800's played Billiards. 4-Ball Billiards, which was played on an English Billiard Table. Probably the same games that Twain played.

Mozart didn't live in a time of pool. If he played, he played Billiards as well.

Fred

L.S. Dennis
11-12-2003, 11:46 AM
Fred,

I totally agree with you, this article seemed bogus from the start!

Wally_in_Cincy
11-12-2003, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> Fred,

I totally agree with you, this article seemed bogus from the start! <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know if I would call it "bogus". The writer was just misinformed. She may have been told this info by the players at the pool hall. There's a lot of uninformed players around. I was playing with a guy from Alabama the other day who was pretty good. He asked me "What's that table back there with no pockets?" and he had been playing for 10 of his 30 years.

MarkUrsel
11-12-2003, 02:46 PM
George Washington shot pool.
<font color="blue">
- ok, so George Washington did shoot billiards with Lafayette - if you can forgive the swap of "pool" for "billiards", then this is true, he did shoot billiards.
</font color>
So did Mozart.
<font color="blue">
- ditto (well at least ditto on the pool/billiards swap - I really doubt he played pool with Lafayette)
</font color>
Mark Twain played eight-ball eight hours a day
<font color="blue">
- 8-ball wasn't even invented until 1910, so this is patently false - however, Mark Twain did have a billiards room in his home and was an avid player.
</font color>
Even Abe Lincoln confessed he was addicted to billiards.
<font color="blue">
- he must have. He was a great man, therefore he had to have been a pool player. Right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
</font color>

randyg
11-12-2003, 05:19 PM
Fred is too damn smart. He's my hero.....randyg

UTAddb
11-12-2003, 06:45 PM
I'm pretty sure Twain didn't play 8 ball, but think he did play pocket billiards a lot and gambled a lot.