PDA

View Full Version : Western Woman's Tournament

wolfdancer
11-12-2003, 10:49 PM
I'm including Gene Miller's writeup on their annual stop at Family billiards in SF.
This is the third one I've been to...and it was good pool, with a great finish...
Last year Michelle Rakin, tenage phenom, won 4 out of 5 events....this year, read on:

This is Gene Miller with Update #184.

Western Women's 9-Ball Tour

Congratulations to Helen Gaughran, who finished on top of the 25-player final event of the season, held at Family Billiards November 8-9. The final match was one of the closest matches imaginable, as Eleanor Callado returned from the loser's side to defeat Helen 7-5 in the first match, only to lose 7-6 in the closer. It was Eleanor who singlehandedly eliminated top-ranked Michelle Rakin, defeating her on both sides of the board and leaving Michelle in fifth place. Of course, it has to be noted that Michelle made history this season, amassing the highest point total the tour has ever seen, winning every event until her 5th-place finish this weekend. As you might know, Eleanor is the current BCA National Junior champion, defeating Michelle in the championship last summer. When Helen received her $490 prize and posed for photos along with Eleanor and Michelle it made me feel pretty good. Helen was a teammate of mine in 8-ball, and Eleanor and Michelle both were regulars in my junior 9-ball tournaments at The Great Entertainer. These are some of my favorite people! Many thanks to Julie Hunter for all her energy, providing yet another good 9-ball season just for West Coast women.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-13-2003, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>
....As you might know, Eleanor is the current BCA National Junior champion, defeating Michelle in the championship last summer.....<hr /></blockquote>

Did I read somewhere that Eleanor is Ms. Rakin's friend and she tagged along to BCA Juniors with Michelle just for the heck of it and ended up winning the tourney?

Looks like some good young players out there.