PDA

View Full Version : If you were to emulate a pro, who'd it be?

Cueless Joey
11-13-2003, 05:56 PM
I really like Kim Davenport's game/stroke.
First he takes like 3 fast strokes,3 more then 3 slow strokes, 1 slow and really slow, then shoot without moving his head.
It might seem like a lof of practice strokes but they are done for a reason. The fast strokes are done to make sure his cue /elbow are in line.
The slow ones are to "quiet" his mind and body.
I saw him put on a "clinic" against Santos last year.
He kepr running out on a very tight table.
I know most ladies would emulate Allison or Karen but those short strokes do not get me in line.
I'd like to emulate Efren and Busta too but forget it.
I wouldn't hit the cb if I did.

PQQLK9
11-13-2003, 06:13 PM
Mike

JimS
11-13-2003, 06:14 PM
From what I know of him: Nick

PQQLK9
11-13-2003, 06:18 PM
Thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

stick8
11-14-2003, 12:43 AM
With out a dought, my man MR BUDDY HALL, ne is like a 350lb baiiarina, STICK

Fred Agnir
11-14-2003, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stick8:</font><hr> With out a dought, my man MR BUDDY HALL, ne is like a 350lb baiiarina, STICK <hr /></blockquote>Welcome back, Bill.

Popcorn
11-14-2003, 08:00 AM
Nick Varner or Ray Martin. Both look like you could wake them up in the middle of the night and they could run out. The most perfect player I think I have ever seen may be Toby Sweet. He is so smooth and makes it look so easy, after an hour of watching him, you can go to the table and just play better. A great form and smooth stroke can be infectious, just as being around players with bad fundamentals seem to rub off. There are some great players who's game I can appreciate, even though I don't like to watch it.

Sid_Vicious
11-14-2003, 08:01 AM
I would have a better chance of emulating Buddy Hall, but given the hypothetical option I'd take Efren. Besides being a suberb player and gracious winner, he's an exceptional personality all around, even when losing. Now THAT'S a diplomat to this sport...sid~~~would go insane watching this game if everyone played like our lady snooker "imports", gimme Jeanette and Vivian any day

Nostroke
11-14-2003, 08:14 AM
I would never emulate another man How dare you!!

You'd have to pay me $200 just to do a little light petting!

pooltchr
11-14-2003, 08:38 AM
Efren. A great player, and great personality as well.
Rempe would be another one high up on that list for the same reasons.

Voodoo Daddy
11-14-2003, 09:55 AM
TAP, TAP, TAP!!! Toby /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif without question. Though Nick and Ray are pretty smooth...HAHAHAHA! Honorable mention to Jay Swanson, the big man could swing it pretty smooth too!!!

cycopath
11-14-2003, 10:52 AM
Shannon Daulton

He has a simply killer break, and a consistently smooth stroke. He seems to be a down to earth kind of guy also.

Oh yeah, and he's a big fat guy, like me. I always root for the fat guy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith Talent
11-14-2003, 01:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>
I'd like to emulate Efren and Busta too but forget it.
I wouldn't hit the cb if I did. <hr /></blockquote>

When I got back into the game last winter, I decided that's how I had always wanted to play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tried if for a few months. Felt real good for 15 minutes now and then, but I could hardly run 3 friggin balls getting that loosey goosey. Only thing I kept from that is spinning in extreme cuts ... love doing that no matter how low the percentage is.

Picked up some more controlled, but smooth stroking from watching Max Eberle at tourney in Queens back in August. And also Mika. Think the Europeans' style, if you could call it that, works best for me ... no excess motions. Also went to school some on a '98 tape of Souquet I have, though he doesn't seem to be playing as smoothly now.

Throw in a dose of Earl and the aggressive way he stalks the table when he's going well. I think it's important to have an active fantasy life at the table, because if I remember for a moment that it's just me, well ...

Eric.
11-14-2003, 01:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr>
Tried if for a few months. Felt real good for 15 minutes now and then, but I could hardly run 3 friggin balls getting that loosey goosey. <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, I believe Efren now has a more conventional stroke. If I remember right, he had the Filipino waterpump stroke, years ago, but since then, has limited the amount of excess movement. It seems like he isn't very wristy and doesn't have much moving except his forearm. Busta on the on the hand is a different story. I think he has everthing and the kitchen sink moving!

On another note, despite all the "movement" in their strokes, I notice that the head and back never move/jerk.

As far as 9 ball, I would emulate(if that's possible) Busta. I have a long stroke like him and have been told I have an o.k. power break. I guess I just need to work on the other 99% of the game and we should play even /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope Fatherhood is treating you well...

Eric

DSAPOLIS
11-14-2003, 02:30 PM
Jeff Carter is the most fundamentally sound pool player I have ever seen. All players have different styles and dimensions to their game, but I have always admired Jeff's ability to have strength in EVERY area of his game. I would also love to have Earl's determination combined with 1/10 of his natural ability, plus Buddy Hall's cue ball control. Also, Efren Reyes' ability to keep his mouth shut. I haven't mastered that yet either. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Keith Talent
11-14-2003, 03:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Actually, I believe Efren now has a more conventional stroke. If I remember right, he had the Filipino waterpump stroke, years ago, but since then, has limited the amount of excess movement. It seems like he isn't very wristy and doesn't have much moving except his forearm. Busta on the on the hand is a different story. I think he has everthing and the kitchen sink moving!

I guess I just need to work on the other 99% of the game and we should play even /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope Fatherhood is treating you well...

Eric

<hr /></blockquote>

Guess Efren doesn't shake and bake quite like Busta, and certainly his style was in my mind, too ... but Efren can lead you into temptation with the way he loads the ball up, or sends the cb 3 rails when many people would go 1 or 2. Still, nothing's better than pulling off one of those shots when there's no other choice.

Even? Hey, I think I'm going to need a ball for each baby! Have to hide my sneaky in a $6 black sleeve case by the door, and then tuck that behind a larger decoy case, to have any hope of slipping out./ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

David Bray
11-14-2003, 03:57 PM
If there was anyone who was more fundamentally sound and has a great stroke to emulate, it would be without a doubt Mike Sigel. He is very mathmatical, and can systematicly analyze and navigate through many racks. I had purchased a tape from Accu-Stats, it was Sigel against Varner in the U.S. 14-1 championships, Mike had a run of 86 that was just amazing. Plus it helps to see another lefty shoot, it helps my stroke.
Mike Sigel, the best there is, was, and ever will be.

Irish
11-15-2003, 01:32 AM
I would really like to play against Pagulayan alot and try to pick up on some of his strong points. Him and probably Wiseman would be the two guys I could learn the most from due to their height. I have a very long stroke and shoot alot like the Phillipino players albeit worse. Regardless of the speed with which I am stroking a shot I have a long draw on my backstroke which differs greatly from many players that have shorter strokes with various speed they are hitting the cueball with.

cheesemouse
11-15-2003, 05:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr> Jeff Carter is the most fundamentally sound pool player I have ever seen. All players have different styles and dimensions to their game, but I have always admired Jeff's ability to have strength in EVERY area of his game. I would also love to have Earl's determination combined with 1/10 of his natural ability, plus Buddy Hall's cue ball control. Also, Efren Reyes' ability to keep his mouth shut. I haven't mastered that yet either. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>

DSAPOLIS,

I agree with all your choices. I had nearly forgotten how impressed I was with Jeff Carters game and mechanics until you mentioned him. He has the most amazing bridge hand, it is like a hydraulicly controled long legged spider. In addition to your guys I would like to add Keith McCreadys rhythm/tempo of play when he has caught a gear....and one more...Alice Fishers abiity as a closer, she nearly always takes maximum advantage of her opponenents errors...

UTAddb
11-15-2003, 11:11 AM
Mike Massey's piledriver stroke never ceases to amaze me.

cycopath
11-15-2003, 11:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Irish:</font><hr> I would really like to play against Pagulayan alot and try to pick up on some of his strong points. <hr /></blockquote>

Is it just me or does it seem like Pagulayan has a tendency to self-destruct when it comes down to the finish. Lots of second place finishes it seems like. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a helluva player and seems to have a good attitude. It just looks like the pressure is too much for him when the tournament is on the line.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Irish
11-15-2003, 02:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Irish:</font><hr> I would really like to play against Pagulayan alot and try to pick up on some of his strong points. <hr /></blockquote>

Is it just me or does it seem like Pagulayan has a tendency to self-destruct when it comes down to the finish. Lots of second place finishes it seems like. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a helluva player and seems to have a good attitude. It just looks like the pressure is too much for him when the tournament is on the line.

Has anyone else noticed this? <hr /></blockquote>

You might be right. I just want to pick up on Pagulayan stroke elements. I will take Sigel's mental game over anyone else.

Sally
11-15-2003, 02:44 PM
Ralf Souquet. He is extremely disciplined, consistent, and accurate. He is also a clean-living guy and one of the nicest in the sport.

bluewolf
11-16-2003, 09:22 AM
While I have no desire to be a pro or even semi, I am seeing some women I admire for their determination,who are also nice people.

In men Ralf Souquet is my favorite. He is so focussed and seems to be a great competitor and nice person.

Laura

Chris Cass
11-16-2003, 03:29 PM
Hi ya Joey,

Ok, coming up Mike Segal was my favorite shooter. Don't get me wrong I think Willie was the best. Anyway, David pointed out Mikes mental game. I like that too. He seems to have a great thought process.

Stroke? Well, there comes to mind two players for me. One you won't know his name was Stubbins. He hung around the ph where I learned how to play. He was smooth as silk. His buddy was named Bruce Rippa. That guy could finger spin like Mike Massey. Bruce could really apply english like no other I've ever seen other than Mike Massey. Anyway, the second name was a pro I believe but never did anything. His name was George Micheals(sp) like the singer. He had the smoothest stroke and although I had beaten him on a bar box which later he won the doe back he, was so smooth you almost missed to see him shoot. LOL It's his stroke I like the best.

Although Steve Lipsky isn't deemed pro yet. I wish I had his personality. Not saying having anything in his game but he's such a great person. I really like this kid. It's him I want to be like.

I like Efren' relaxed style during play and love when he laughs off a miss or when he $hits a ball in and laughs about it. I like him tons.

Another non pro Scott Frost. I like the way he can push everyones buttons. Mainly because he just does it to get to them. He really has fun doing it. Man, he had Ronnie Wiseman climbing the walls and Scott just sat back and laughed.

As far as a top pro of today. I like the shooting style of Ralph Soquet. He's class all the way.

Regards,

C.C.~~bet #### has a smooth stroke... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

snipershot
11-16-2003, 04:51 PM
Good post Joey!

If I could emulate any pro I would have to pick Ralf Souqet for a number of reasons, firstly because he is well respected amongst all of his peers, he is a good sportsman and a true professional as well. I would also like to be him because he is such a talented player, smooth stroke,effective break and as mentally tough as they come.

cycopath
11-17-2003, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>Another non pro Scott Frost. I like the way he can push everyones buttons. Mainly because he just does it to get to them. He really has fun doing it. Man, he had Ronnie Wiseman climbing the walls and Scott just sat back and laughed.
<hr /></blockquote>

You mean Frost gets vocal while playing, a la McCready? Or just his playing style gets under his opponenets skin?

I've only watched him play once, and that was on a camcorder video of a One Pocket money game between him and Pagulayan. I didn't see him talking or anything on there. But he would go eight and out lightning fast.

Scott Lee
11-17-2003, 03:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> The most perfect player I think I have ever seen may be Toby Sweet. He is so smooth and makes it look so easy, after an hour of watching him, you can go to the table and just play better. <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn...I just gave a lesson to a guy in Oxnard, CA on Sat., who mentioned that Toby is still living in NY, and can still hit 'em "sweet"! LOL

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
11-17-2003, 03:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Anyway, the second name was a pro I believe but never did anything. His name was George Micheals(sp) like the singer. He had the smoothest stroke and although I had beaten him on a bar box which later he won the doe back he, was so smooth you almost missed to see him shoot. LOL It's his stroke I like the best.

C.C.~~bet #### has a smooth stroke... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Chris...George Michaels never DID anything? LOL You must not read the pool mags. George is STILL one of the top players in CA, winning lots of tournaments around the Bay Area (where he lives, and has a pool table refinishing company), as well as playing on the Sr. Tour...where he just finished 6th in FL! Along with his skills on the table, George and Lydia, singlehandedly revolutionized the pool clothing industry. Their company, Winning Garb, put out the classiest pool clothing available, for better than 15 yrs! George was a fixture at every pro tournament for the past 20 yrs, always with his clothing line, and frequently playing too...not to mention having a booth at every trade show for almost 20 yrs! As you probably recall, he, like me, is originally from Chicago, and was Joey Gold's (Cognoscenti Cues) mentor for many years, teaching him how to play, and taking him on the road gambling. You're right about George's stroke...one of the smoothest out there!

Scott

hausofcues
11-27-2003, 06:25 AM
Living player?------Buddy Hall----Hands down

Deceased player?-----Ralph Greenleaf or Willie Mosconi
It's a toss-up.