PDA

View Full Version : Sardo tight rack, anyone use it?

woody_968
11-13-2003, 10:29 PM
Im sure these have been discused before but I couldnt find anything through my search.
Any of you ever use a Sardo rack, and what did you like or dis-like about it?

Thanks

Ralph S.
11-13-2003, 10:35 PM
Hell no LOL. There are many here against the Sardo and I am one of them.

Brent
11-13-2003, 11:17 PM
Im also against the sardo crap-rack.

cueball1950
11-14-2003, 02:25 AM
What good is it. If you rack the 1 ball on the spot the wing ball goes in everytime. So they rack the 9 ball on the spot and everybody soft breaks and makes the 1 ball in the side. Go figure. They should be banned. They used it in europe a few months ago and Corey Duell was breaking soft and almost got into trouble for it. they told him he had to break hard. And that is not a rumor it came from Corey's mouth at the U S Open last September. So why use it.if you cannot break the way you want to. besides i hate the soft break.......................mike

RUNaRAK
11-14-2003, 06:40 AM
I use one at home and like it pretty well. I agree with the fact that they make it too easy to make the same ball each time and should probably not be used in pro tournaments. Kind of takes the roll factor out of the break with them.
It certainly does give you a perfect rack and I like it for practicing but would hate it if I were playing Deuell a set for a nickle. I certainly would be rackin' a whole bunch. Mia dos centavos!

Fred Agnir
11-14-2003, 12:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Im sure these have been discused before but I couldnt find anything through my search.
Any of you ever use a Sardo rack, and what did you like or dis-like about it?

Thanks <hr /></blockquote> I think that rather than pushing from the top, pulling/squeezing handles from the side with a cam pushing down the top would have been easier for everybody. Especially the short guys.

The Sardo is it's own worst enemy. We all beg for a tight rack when breaking rather than a loose one. When the Sardos come up with a device that accomplishes that, suddenly we realize that a perfectly tight rack may not be what we want.

Here's my suggestion. Re-make the Sardo rack, but have it so that only the front three balls are frozen. The rest have to be manually placed into position. You get the tight top three we all desire, but the wing ball may or may not go in depending on how the racker racked.

Oh Carmine, are you reading?

Fred &lt;~~~ wants part of the royalties for the SARDO RACK rev. 2004

Steve Lipsky
11-14-2003, 01:00 PM
Fred, it would have to be the top three plus the 9-ball. If the 9 isn't touching those bottom 2 (of the top three), you'll be breaking into mud.

If you have to go to all this trouble to fix the thing, it's too broken.

- Steve

nhp
11-15-2003, 08:24 AM
I'm not gonna say anything about the tight rack, but the Sardo brothers are some of the friendliest poolplayers anyone could ever meet.

Chris Cass
11-15-2003, 10:23 AM
Troy loves the Sardo rack. He highly recommends it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I can't lie anymore.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.~~sorry woody....

Chris Cass
11-15-2003, 10:35 AM
I'd be happy too if I were getting a $125. a pop. Wouldn't you smile if you had your hands in someones pocket? This isn't a personal thing anyway. It's about a product that once you use the template and the water and pound the dings into the cloth there is no need for the thing at all. The new and improved model has nicer stickers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As far as the Sardo people go. They did filter money back to the players. Atleast they're not too bad. One might argue though, they got Earl to shut up. They're many sell outs in the game. Then again, they almost have to with the money they let us make is too little.

It's evil I tell ya. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~opening up a new can of worms. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Troy
11-15-2003, 10:43 AM
Well Chris, you got my attention and I must cease my lurking.
If memory serves me, my opinion of the SARDINE GIZMO is lower than a snakes belly. What can I say -- cloth "training", crater creating, cheap plastic hunk o' junk. Yup, I just love the SARDINE GIZMO.

Troy...~~~ Give me a good 'ol oak triangle any day.
By the way CC, I'm so out of shape I need 10-6 and the breaks.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Troy loves the Sardo rack. He highly recommends it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I can't lie anymore.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.~~sorry woody.... <hr /></blockquote>

PoolFool
11-15-2003, 10:48 AM
There will soon be a new rack on the market. It looks like a normal rack but has walls that move inward to compress the balls. It has two thumb indentions that you simply press and release. The inventor is Russ Bonn (http://poolrack.com/)but the web page is not up yet. I have used it several times and it gives a perfect tight rack but still a diverse break. As soon as I get one I'll let SPetty evaluate it.

PoolFool

cycopath
11-15-2003, 11:31 AM
Sounds like a good item to check out.

Let us know when the website becomes active.

thanks.

Fleece3
11-15-2003, 01:45 PM
I for one do not understand the hatred of this product (Sardo). It does exactly what is claims to do, REPEATABLE, PRECISION! I like it because it take the "hustle" out of racking the balls (leave a gap here, angle it a little off, etc..) It bring the game back to what you do with the cue, instead of how the racker racks.

Steve Lipsky
11-15-2003, 02:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fleece3:</font><hr> I for one do not understand the hatred of this product (Sardo)... It bring the game back to what you do with the cue, instead of how the racker racks. <hr /></blockquote>

Have you ever played with one, Fleece? Have you ever had to sit in your chair while your opponent is packaging you to death, running out Mickey Mouse tables?

I played Parica in the US Open with it, and I had no chance. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have much of a chance anyway, but his experience with this rack was too much a nut to crack. He broke and ran at least half the set, and won a few more controlling the table after a successful break. You see this occasionally with a normal rack, but not as often. And with a normal rack usually the shooter will have to run a more difficult table.

Repeatable precision in a game that is supposed to be random was, is, and never will be a good thing.

- Steve

Wally_in_Cincy
11-15-2003, 03:12 PM
I watched the final with JJ and Parica last night. JJ had the CB and the 1-ball landing in almost exactly the same spot every break.

I watched Karen Corr win her first tourney at VF. It was the first one where they used the Sardo. She made the wing ball about 5 out of 7 breaks IIRC.

Chris Cass
11-16-2003, 07:33 AM
Man did I miss you. I hope your feeling fine or atleast a little better. 10-6 ? Sure, anything for you buddy. You must have to adjust though. As long as it's fair.

Regards,

C.C.~~good to see your still around friend... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JimS
11-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Holy Cow! Another missing person reports in!! I was "out" for about a year Troy and I hear you've been out for about that long. Glad to see you came back home.

JimS
11-16-2003, 09:38 AM
I always thought of pool as a precision game and you point out that it's supposed to be random. I'd never considered that and it's interesting. On first impression I think you're right!

Pool is a precision game and it's the repeatable precision of robots that does not belong in pool while it is the most ardent desire of human pool players to build a repeatable robot-like precise stroke that is the essence of the game.

I'd been on the fence re: the Sardo until you put it like that Steve. Thanks.

Troy
11-16-2003, 10:04 AM
Thanks Chris.........

SPetty
11-16-2003, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolFool:</font><hr> There will soon be a new rack on the market. ... As soon as I get one I'll let SPetty evaluate it.<hr /></blockquote>Can't wait! Keep in touch and let me know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for the rest of the thread, I'd just like to reiterate what Fred said, because I think it's the essence of Sardo: "We all beg for a tight rack when breaking rather than a loose one. When the Sardos come up with a device that accomplishes that, suddenly we realize that a perfectly tight rack may not be what we want."

I don't think Sardo deserves the bashing that it gets, except that I understand the displeasure with altering the playing surface. Would the Sardo-basher's dislike it as much if it didn't alter the playing surface?

Troy
11-16-2003, 01:03 PM
Sardo did NOT come up with a device to to get a tight rack. Good oak triangles (about $15) have been available for many years and a tight rack can be had every time. It simply takes a bit of practice, just like all other aspects of the game. Sardo came up with a gimmick that required cloth "training" that resulted in creating craters. At +/- $125 per ($70 for Room owners) for a hunk of breakable plastic, it's a plain and simple rip off considering that after "training" the gizmo can be discarded 'cuz the balls fall into the craters.

Troy...~~~ Knows. Has "trained" tables to use the SARDINE GIZMO. Has tried to slow roll balls through the crater field.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>Can't wait! Keep in touch and let me know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for the rest of the thread, I'd just like to reiterate what Fred said, because I think it's the essence of Sardo: "We all beg for a tight rack when breaking rather than a loose one. When the Sardos come up with a device that accomplishes that, suddenly we realize that a perfectly tight rack may not be what we want."

I don't think Sardo deserves the bashing that it gets, except that I understand the displeasure with altering the playing surface. Would the Sardo-basher's dislike it as much if it didn't alter the playing surface? <hr /></blockquote>

Fleece3
11-16-2003, 06:30 PM
What is the difference between that and someone noticing that I am dropping the 1 in the side, so they rack the 2 to assure that I won't have a shot on it. Is that simply good strategy? If so isn't it also good strategy to know that if the sardo is being used "this" is how you make it an advantage. I do understand your point, which is why I favor alternate breaks. Assume you you DID get to break, how did you do with it?

Kato
11-16-2003, 06:48 PM
Fleece, the owner of our pool room wanted to get a SARDO for tournament finals. I begged him not to get one and he didn't understand why. After I explained "training the table he agreed that we wouldn't use one" He told me he wanted to get one anyway and we could just try it out (without training). I tried it on an untrained freshly recovered table that was racking great in the triangle. Sorry but using the SARDO I couldn't get any of the balls frozen.

A few weeks ago he had gotten another rack. This one was a very hard plastic triangle rack. It racked great on our toughest racking table and I told him so. 2 days later he had put one on every table.

Kato

ras314
11-16-2003, 07:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> It's about a product that once you use the template and the water and pound the dings into the cloth there is no need for the thing at all. <hr /></blockquote>

I was interested in the thing untill the water bit. Thought you just broke untill the "pits" happen as they will eventually anyway.

Rick the stick
11-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Post deleted by ccb_admin_2

Fred Agnir
11-17-2003, 08:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Larry the shtick:</font><hr>Hi freedie, dis is Rickie, <hr /></blockquote> Liar.

[ QUOTE ]
ya know this is the dumbest post of all time. On a dumb scale this puppy is a 10.0. When I said youse wuz da head bozo you earned that title on this one.<hr /></blockquote>
If you say so, it must be true. After all, you have more credibility than anyone here when it comes to reading and understanding posts.

[ QUOTE ]
You think you are the head guru and know everything and I can't teach you nuttin.<hr /></blockquote> Never said I was the head guru. Never said I know everything. These would be strawman arguments. Never even thought that I know remotely close to everything. I hope I never do think that. The moment I think I'm done learning, then I'm truly all done. You're the guy that came on this board saying that we (the board) couldn't teach you anything. That's not only closed-minded, but it's foolish.

Much of what I know has been learned on internet forums like this. Not from blowhards that think they know something and steal ideas and try to get credit for them. Your followers should know that. Those that change their screen name and defend you.

[ QUOTE ]
Bozo, you dont need no $200 rack to do dis<hr /></blockquote> No kidding. Did I say anyone did? I'd call you an imbecile, but that would be generous. Someone asked a question. I answered the question as asked. You should try it sometime. It's not difficult, but it does require a modicum of effort.

Fred &lt;~~~ "bozo" is so 3rd grade

Steve Lipsky
11-17-2003, 08:59 AM
Hi Fleece. My break was not as effective as his, lol. If I recall correctly, I was making the wing ball, but I couldn't get shape on the 1 down table.

Those pros who either play in a lot of Sardo-racked tournaments, or who (for whatever reason) have access to these racks in a practice setting, have a clear advantage. I don't really think this should be the case. I think that a good rack in 9-ball has always been assumed as a given, and that the winner of a match should be the player who shoots the best. But that's not the case with this thing; certain players have found a way to extract an advantage from this contraption. I just don't believe that's good for the game.

Anybody see the match from the 2001 World Pool Championship between Mika and Neils? The commentators were really caught in a quandary; Sardo was a sponsor, and yet it was undeniable that the rack was hurting the game. If you haven't seen the match, each player breaks-and-runs about 8 racks (in a race-to-11), making the same 2 or 3 balls on the break every time. The rest of the balls were often landing in the same positions. Even though neither player was making a mistake, it did not impress me. I just wanted to go to sleep.

- Steve

Nostroke
11-17-2003, 11:39 AM
There's a pool room owner who listens somewhere?

Rick the stick
11-17-2003, 04:00 PM
Post deleted by ccb_admin_2

Fred Agnir
11-17-2003, 04:10 PM
Glad you continue to have a difficult time grasping the idea of "reading."

I challenge you to teach me anything. In fact, I challenge anyone to teach me anything. It's an easy challenge, because, as most on here know, I love learning. That's the beauty of this and many groups.

So, the challenge is on. Teach me something. Everyone!

Fred &lt;~~~ obvously more willing to learn than Larry is.

UWPoolGod
11-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Man I haven't read the whole post yet, but I wasn wondering what so many could learn or have opinions on the Sardo tight rack....must be an interesting read...hmmm...lets go see...

Chris Cass
11-17-2003, 05:37 PM
Hi ras,

The pits will happen over a long period of time but still they're suttle dimples. Sardo makes craters. That's not good. Don't be misinformed about the perfect rack bit either. You can $hit rack with the Sardo too.

The rack has these little rubber feet that pushes the balls down. However the 2 main reasons the Sardo isn't liked is, you don't need it after the balls are placed in the dents and the second is they rack the 9ball on the foot spot.

Earl, was causing a big stink about it till they cut him in. That my friend is BS. IMO One might argue that there's no money in the sport so you almost have to sell out. Look at Archer with the Scopion cues, Cory with the 5280's, Allison with the Cuetech cues( although they hit the best for the money IMO), I could go on and on. Sellouts? Yep, all of them.

What we need is sponsors to dump money into the prize fund a cut to go back to the players. But lets face it. The only thing keeping this sport going is the WPBA. The men screwed up long ago when they sued Camel. I'm beginning to see what Grady has been saying all along. Take Mark Wilson for instance. Here's a guy forced out for playing in the McDermott tour. When, McDermott was his sponsor. Go figure.

Mackey had all the pros sign up with him for ten yrs and they only played when he said to play. Oh forget it. I'm completely off the thread. I'm sorry ras.

Regards,

C.C.

ras314
11-17-2003, 09:52 PM
"The pits will happen over a long period of time but still they're suttle dimples. Sardo makes craters. "

That does it. No Sardo for me.

Big Dave
11-18-2003, 09:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> ...It's about a product that once you use the template and the water and pound the dings into the cloth there is no need for the thing at all.... <hr /></blockquote>

Just out of interest, what do you do with the water? TIA

Troy
11-18-2003, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big Dave:</font><hr>
Just out of interest, what do you do with the water? TIA <hr /></blockquote>

The instructions say to put a drop of water in each of the little holes in the included template prior to placing the balls. Theoretically this "softens" the cloth to enhance the "training". The instructions further say each ball should be "tapped" until it stays in place.

Troy...~~~ The SARDINE GIZMO gives me a headache

MrMasterrack
11-19-2003, 09:59 AM
A couple of points about racking:

1. There is no such thing as a perfect rack without perfect balls. The BCA specifies the ball size as 2.250" +/- .005". I have measured many sets of balls in pool halls and have never measured one that meets BCA specifications. Interesting isn't it?

2. A rack should provide a random start to a game, much like shuffling cards at the beginning of a poker game.

Ideally, a rack should provide a tight rack with a random element.

tateuts
11-19-2003, 10:19 AM
I came across a couple of new ones I was selling for a friend and sold them on E-Bay - I never tried them. There was a lot of buyer interest when I sold them a few months ago. Wholesale on them is about $85, and I think they went for $110 or $120.

Here's my feeling on it: It's big, bulky, and I think was designed for space age appearance more than functionality.

I want a frozen rack and I'm sick of getting "slugs" too, but handling that thing and training my cloth, etc. is not my way of getting it.

I wish someone would give players classes on how to rack. I like racking with stiff wooden triangles, not plastic. The plastic tends to stick to the balls when the rack is removed and pull them apart, or it flexes under pressure. On my home table, which hasn't been abused with ball tapping, I can make a frozen rack simply and quickly with a wooden triangle. I just use the triangle to hold the front balls in place and press the whole rack together with my fingers into a frozen position and lift the rack. I've got the truest side of the triangle marked. It works most of the time in about two seconds and the one ball never rolls off because it hasn't been tapped.

Chris

tateuts
11-19-2003, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I challenge you to teach me anything. In fact, I challenge anyone to teach me anything. So, the challenge is on. Teach me something. Everyone!

<hr /></blockquote>

Fred,

I'll teach you something in two months. That lesson will be :"live in Southern California, my son". /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Chris