PDA

View Full Version : Favorite book

BeanDiesel
11-14-2003, 02:12 AM
What's your favorite book and why?

socrates
11-14-2003, 08:31 AM
My favorite book is "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior" by Dan Millman. A book that changes lives.

Since I assume you were looking for pool books my favorite's would be:

99 Critical Shots - Ray Martin - Diagrams aid in visualization to start recognizing shots on the table.

"Mastering Pool" (Rereleased as Advanced Pool) and "How Would You Play This" by George Fels - Again diagrams and lay out are of great benefit in helping improve the thought processes involved in the game.

Play Your Best Pool - Phil Capelle - One of the best books covering fundamentals and the physics and strategy of the game I have come accross.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-14-2003, 08:32 AM
McGoorty

why not?

Perk
11-14-2003, 08:54 AM
I enjoyed the Cornbred Red book for general reading regarding some pool scenes from the past. Right now I am reading and practicing using Bob Henning's The Pro Book. This book is very easy to get into, and has diagrams of shots, safeties, kicks, kick safeties, banks, and a few drills.

Both books have different purposes, but would fit equally into any collection.

http://www.billiards.com/mall/probook.asp

Rick the stick
11-14-2003, 09:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> I enjoyed the Cornbred Red book for general reading regarding some pool scenes from the past. Right now I am reading and practicing using Bob Henning's The Pro Book. This book is very easy to get into, and has diagrams of shots, safeties, kicks, kick safeties, banks, and a few drills.

Both books have different purposes, but would fit equally into any collection.

http://www.billiards.com/mall/probook.asp <hr /></blockquote>

The Hustlers Handbook, Pool &amp; Billiards did a survey of the top 20 books of the last 50 years and it was on the list.

Carlton31698
11-14-2003, 10:12 AM
The Color of Money
The book is not like the movie, they tell different stories.

dg-in-centralpa
11-14-2003, 10:32 PM
from Mrs. DG in Centralpa:
Tolkien's Lord of the Rings will always be my favorites. I'm always drawn into the stories and could re-read them time and time again. If I lived in Farenheit 451 (where firemen burned books and you had to choose a book to commit to memory) I would choose one of these volumes.
For pool, I like Eva Lawrence's "Pool for Dummies." It's a good teaching guide for us beginners with some nice practice drills.
Mrs. DG

dg-in-centralpa
11-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Mrs. DG again,
Forgot - the biography on Willie Mosconi. Describes as how as a child, he was so driven to play pool that he used potatoes as pool balls when his father had hidden the regular balls since he was spending too much time playing. A good fun read.

Kato
11-15-2003, 08:02 AM
Cain by James Byron Huggins is probably my favorite book ever. I also think Dr. Suess is wonderful.

If you're looking to keep yourself rivited to you chair try the newest version of the Guiness Book of World Records or Baseball Encyclopedia. Make sure your Baseball Encyclopedia has the yearly summary though. I find just trying to walk through 130 years of statistics to be tedious at best. I started getting Guiness a few years back after a 25 year layoff. It's always been a great read.

Kato~~~ok, so I've got issues. At least I'm not going to hell like most of you guys. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
11-15-2003, 08:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> ok, so I've got issues. At least I'm not going to hell like most of you guys. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I will go, where all my friends are. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I didn't even have to take the test. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, do you also read the new Phone Book, when it is delivered? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

cheesemouse
11-15-2003, 09:29 AM
That gave me a chuckle...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
11-15-2003, 10:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich RBTW, do you also read the new Phone Book, when it is delivered? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif [/quote:</font><hr>

Of course not silly, what would ever give you that idea? Actually if you need to know the truth I'm not as bad as I used to be. I'm more into the visuals. I still connect with numbers and I'm a bit of a fantasy geek and have been for about 12 years or so.

Back when I was a child we didn't have cable and didn't have SportCenter and didn't have a pro team. We had baseball cards and we had the newspaper. I used to pour through those numbers like an addiction. We used to spend nights flipping baseball cards, reading stats. In 1982 this card was unbeatable:

Mike Schmidt
1981 31 PHI NL 102 354 78 112 19 2 31 91 12 4 73 71 .316 .435 .644

You flip that one and you're stealing!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Then again when you are talking about all time great seasons and you're arguing about pitchers and somebody throws Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Pedro, or maybe goes back to Steve Carlton as having the greatest seasons ever and then I come back with Big Ed Walsh. Who is that?

1908 27 CHW AL 40 15 66 49 15 42 11 6 464.0 343 112 73 2 56 269 1.42

Yeah Baby!!!!!!! Check those stats!!!!!!!! That's Baseball Encyclopedia for ya!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato~~~Sometimes has a problem with useless information /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

TomBrooklyn
01-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Last night I met Jim Bouton (http://www.jimbouton.com/), the ex-Yankee knuckleball pitcher, and bought an autographed copy of the new edition of his behind the scenes tell all book Ball Four (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0020306652/qid=1074105339//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl14/002-8537243-8398428?v=glance&amp;s=books&amp;n=507846#product-details), which he autographed for me. I haven't read it yet, but it's very good by most reviews. It caused such a stir in baseball that the Yankees refused to invite him to Old Timers Day for about twenty years.

ray
01-14-2004, 01:01 PM
i too happen to like the baseball encyclopedia. i went to a a memorabilia show and ran across the very first copy, first print and very good condition, and bought it up. interesting how they just have hits, rbi's, homers and BA in there..

look for a copy of "the big book of baseball lineups" pretty cool book..

i also enjoy 99 critical shots and jeanette lee's book..

ray

Wally_in_Cincy
01-14-2004, 01:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ray:</font><hr> ...i also enjoy 99 critical shots and jeanette lee's book..

ray
<hr /></blockquote>

May I recommend McGoorty, Playing off the Rail, and Hustler Days, in that order.

Gayle in MD
01-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Hi Kato,
BTW, How are you doing with your Greatest books Ever Written, List???
Love,
Gayle /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
01-26-2004, 08:55 PM
LOL. I've got 15 beautiful hardcovers Gayle but I've yet to read any of them /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif As long as I keep finding new things that interest me I'll keep collecting my books and get to them when I get to 'em. Don't worry though, those books won't go to waste. You and I are gonna have one heck of a discussion one day, I look forward to it.

Kato