PDA

View Full Version : Book : Hustler days

Hopster
11-14-2003, 03:05 AM
I just got this book from Amazon, cost me $16 i beleive.
I just started it and it deals primarily with Fats, Wimpy, and Jersey Red.
Seems well written so far and im enjoying it.
Just wanted to let everyone know its available as we had a post about 2-3 months back.
Author is R.A. Dyer.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-14-2003, 08:38 AM
just ordered it. thanx for the heads-up

Wally_in_Cincy
12-02-2003, 08:06 AM
I read this book over the weekend. It deals primarily with MN Fats, Jersey Red, and Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter. Some biographical info and some good tournament and gambling stories.

Altough some of the tournament stories are a bit melodramatic, the book is well written and quite interesting. It's a good read and an easy read.

I recommend it.

mark wilson
12-02-2003, 01:59 PM
I was fortunate to be around on the downside of the legendary players you have mentioned and I plan to write about my few personal experiences with these people of such interesting character. Jersey Red was the most outgoing and personable of all of the players I have ever met and was truely very nice to me and respectful of my pool playing. I have just written a small piece on my encounters with Luther Lassiter that is now on my website under the "what I think about" section. I would appreciate any comments from those interested. Thankyou mw

Wally_in_Cincy
12-02-2003, 02:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mark wilson:</font><hr>.... I have just written a small piece on my encounters with Luther Lassiter that is now on my website under the "what I think about" section. I would appreciate any comments from those interested. Thankyou mw <hr /></blockquote>

Mark,

That was very interesting. Thanks.

When you talk about the 5 greatest players ever I think you have to put him right in there, from what I have read. Never saw him play.

I wonder if there is any video available anywhere.

Wally

Wally_in_Cincy
12-02-2003, 02:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
I wonder if there is any video available anywhere.
<hr /></blockquote>

Kinister has some

http://www.bertkinister.com/classic_player_tapes.html

$50 a pop....OUCH !!

SPetty
12-02-2003, 05:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> $50 a pop....OUCH !! <hr /></blockquote>I think they're on a half price sale until 12/14... Wish I had unlimited funds.

woody_968
12-02-2003, 07:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> $50 a pop....OUCH !! <hr /></blockquote>I think they're on a half price sale until 12/14... Wish I had unlimited funds. <hr /></blockquote>

* 1/2 off until Dec 1st, 2002
That was on top of the page the link was connected to, guess its time they could take that off as that was over a year ago /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hopster
12-03-2003, 02:10 AM
Kinister has some

http://www.bertkinister.com/classic_player_tapes.html

$50 a pop....OUCH !! &lt;--Wally

Well i will be willing to bet that if you asked him if the special was still good for the $25 price, he would let you have them for $25. He replaced one for me that i messed up by dropping it for no charge and was super nice about it and i met the guy and he seemed like good people. So if you want the tapes, give him a shot. I got about 5 of them and they are very entertaining.

SPetty
12-03-2003, 06:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> * 1/2 off until Dec 1st, 2002
That was on top of the page the link was connected to, guess its time they could take that off as that was over a year ago /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>I was going from a paper flyer that was mailed to my house awhile back. I was cleaning up this past weekend and came across it again. If anyone's interested in these videos, it might be worth a phone call or email to find out.

dmgwalsh
12-03-2003, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> * 1/2 off until Dec 1st, 2002
That was on top of the page the link was connected to, guess its time they could take that off as that was over a year ago /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>I was going from a paper flyer that was mailed to my house awhile back. I was cleaning up this past weekend and came across it again. If anyone's interested in these videos, it might be worth a phone call or email to find out.
<hr /></blockquote>

He moved to Mechanicsburg, PA recently and sent out a flyer with a lot of things discounted. I've met him, too and bet he'd give you a good deal. Dennis

#### leonard
12-04-2003, 08:14 AM
I played Luther Lassiter an afternoon and evening exhibition around 1965 in the room I was running in Troy,NY. As with all exhibitions that I played there I would always let the exhibiton player win. It was my feeling that the audience could see me play everyday of the week but this was there one time to see the greats of pool play. If I played exhibitions elswhere that was different. When I played Willie Mosconi after hitting 3 balls he called me over and said we will play to 200. I didn't know how to handle that situation telling the Great One don't worry I will let you win. So the audience got to see 400 points of pool.

The referree was racking the balls, I went over to the players table and Luther said to me I know your missing to let me shoot but in that last rack with easy shots all over you played a tough shot but after that it was stop stop stop. Don't miss I want to watch you play. I didn't rank Luther as a great mover of the cueball but I did rank him at the top of the heap when it came to putting the fear of God in his opponent. His games were usually 84-66 and out 79-71 and out. I don't ever remember him running many 100s just putting two runs together quickly. His reputation as the Best Nineball player was unquestioned. I never ever heard of anyone looking to play him.

Fatty was another story he gave me three free days of pool around 1970 at the Albany Golden Cue. I had called him to see if he could do an exhibition. One day I am getting ready to go to the Cue when Paul Dayton, the great cuemaker, and my day man called me Minnesota Fats is here. I hurried to the Cue and Fatty said all he wanted was his expenses. Then I started to Market Fatty with a moments notice. I tried the Holiday Inn to get him on the Giant Sign but they thought it was a prank. At one point Fatty took the phone from me and started to talk to the asst manager. He ended the conversation with him spelling F A T S, Fats. We got him in the Thruway Hyatt House and used their sign.

Fatty gave us 27 hours of pure entertainment, as I love to say he talked for 27 hours and never told the same lie twice. It was the most interesting 3 days, after the evening show we would go to Joes Madison Ave Deli and Fatty would hold court till 3 am.

I never played Jersey Red but we played in many of the same tournaments, it happens that way in elimination tourneys. The first time I went to the 711 in NYC, Red was playing a game of one-pocket on a 5x10 and hand the crowd in the palm of hand. His opponent was at a disadvantage. ####

houstondan
12-29-2003, 09:46 AM
the author is a longtime friend and very experienced journalist. we became friends while he was covering city hall for the chronicle. he was the first person to introduce me to one pocket and completely enjoyed torturing me since my attitude was "i don't need no strategy, i'll just blast away." that was a very long time ago.

although mr. dyer publishes as "r.a.dyer" and is referred to by george fels this month as "richard dyer", his real name is "jake". i think that's a much more respectable name for a poolist. he is not only a good solid shooter he's a real lover of the game. a fan, true-blue. he spent a lot of time with jersey red in his late years. a lot of time.

of local interest, mr. dyer will be doing a book signing at "book people", 6th and lamar 7pm tuesday jan. 13th in austin. i plan on getting him to sign a copy then shooting him for the price. 1-pocket of course.

dan

Scott Lee
12-29-2003, 09:51 AM
Well, looky who came in from the 'cold'...good ole Houston Dan Jones! LOL Good to have you back here posting! Thanks for the heads up on Jake Dyer! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee

houstondan
12-29-2003, 10:56 AM
hey scott. hope you're doing well. i assume you're hole-up for the winter in ,,,izzit wyoming or montana? hiding out from various husbands and fathers?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
dan

JimS
12-29-2003, 11:47 AM
Well howdy Dan. I've been away for a while myself beating you back by just a couple months and I'm darned glad to see ya!

I just finished Hustler Days over the weekend and I loved it.

Happy New Year. Jim

UTAddb
12-29-2003, 12:18 PM
There was a big article about dyer, his book, fats, jersey red, and wimpy in my paper The Austin American-Statesmen yesterday. It was pretty interesting, it's the first pool article I've seen in that paper and it told all about ups and downs of the golden age of hustling.

Barbara
12-29-2003, 12:24 PM
Hey dan!

Where've you been? And welcome back!!

Barbara

SPetty
12-29-2003, 01:51 PM
Yeah, what Barbara said. Hope you stick around for awhile!

houstondan
12-29-2003, 02:24 PM
hi y'all. nice to see spetty, jims, barbara and all the rest of ya still around. had a new house built and for a while there was back in the wonderful world of dial-up. then there was the new warrior that needed to be rode and a very minor health thing behind which i completely quit drinking about a year ago. amazing how much my game has gone up. purely a coincidence i'm sure since beer just relaxes me and makes me shoot better. course, i've been so relaxed i had to have somebody hold the cue ball still so i could hit it!

thanks for the welcome notes. very much appreciated.

buy jake's book. buy lots of 'em. give 'em away as presents. take 'em to the pool hall with you. they make great weapons. stop very small caliber bullets and most knives. members of the opposite sex will be immediately attracted to you because of your obvious sophistication and the fact that you can actually read.

dan

Troy
12-29-2003, 02:43 PM
Your return is most welcome Dan... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Noticed that you must have needed to re-reg since CCB refers to you as a "stranger".
You're certainly no stranger than most of us... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy

Vagabond
12-29-2003, 08:11 PM
Howdy Mr.Jones!
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif