PDA

View Full Version : Pool/Hustling Stories

FearlessInc
11-15-2003, 11:18 AM
Let's hear them /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ras314
11-16-2003, 01:37 PM
Huh, guess hustling has taken on a bad odor. Anyway here is one I ran across.

I once hung around my favorite watering hole so much I played anyone that came in for most whatever they wanted. In came a black guy everybody knew, mostly a stake horse. We matched up for $20, I knew something was up since I'd played the guy before and was pretty much free money to me. Sure enough he starts to break, stops and says he will just let his 15 year old grandson play for him.

I backed off that offer, called a local gambler just to see what would happen. Well, that kid went thru players till he got to the best money player in town. Busted that guy too, playing on his favorite table and his rules. First $1000 a pop game I'd seen.

Always wondered what happended to the kid, never saw him again. This was in the early 80's.

Popcorn
11-16-2003, 02:56 PM
There was a time when hustling pool, if that is the term you want to use, was not a bad job. In the 1960's and 70's there was a pretty good number of players traveling around making a living playing pool. Most of it consisted of grinding out a daily paycheck. When you put it into prospective though, at that time a man could raise a family on a couple hundred a week and it was not unusual for a pool player to make $50. to a couple a hundred a night scuffling around bars and pool rooms. There were Far fewer players back then, then there are today also. You could walk into a pool room and feel pretty sure there was no one there that could beat you at any game. Even if they called their best player, often they were weak. Bar hustling consisted of just going into a bar where gambling was common place and hanging out and playing.
You would play under speed and you could grind out some money in the course of a night. Occasionally some guy would want to bet it up and you may make a little larger score. Very little of it was exciting, just a day to day existence. The money was good though, far more then the average working man was taking home. I think it is a thing of the past though. I could not imagine a player traveling around today making a steady living. For one thing, there are a zillion good players now. You would have to truly be a champion player to walking into a pool room
today and ask if they have anyone around that would like to play. Another thing is, it just cost too much.
Gas, motels, food, even the table rates add up. Play 5 hours and you owe a $30.00 or $40.00 table bill. I used to pay $.60 an hour in the pool room and bar tables were $.25 a game. and the funny thing is, you can't win much more today then you could back then. $5.00 a game 9-ball and $20.00 sets was common back then and is still common now. It is funny to hear some older players talk sometimes. They seem to change their stories a little to keep up with the economy. What was a $90.00 score now has become $500.00 when they retell it. Most of that stuff you see in movies is the product of a writers imagination. Not to say there have not been some elaborate hustles that took off big scores, but they would be very rare.

sack316
11-16-2003, 03:43 PM
not a real exciting one, but it was fun. The other night me and a friend were just shooting around (we don't gamble each other because we both scare each other). This one drunk annoying guy we know but don't care for wanted in. After a while of bothering us he still hand't left, so I smile and wink at my friend and ask him if he wants to make it a money only table. I figured it would run the guy off. To our surprize he wanted in. So we kept the same rotation, me and my friend pretending to be paying up 5 a game to each other and alternating wins to take 5 off the other guy so we could split the money. he never did catch on to what we were doing. The only bad part was he didn't have a whole lot on him, so unfortunately he still owes me a little cash that i doubt I'll ever see.

PQQLK9
11-16-2003, 06:16 PM
[quote= In came a black guy everybody knew, mostly a stake horse.
<hr /></blockquote>
I think the story would still have been interesting if he was just a guy. Would you have emphasized it if he was a white guy? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Fleece3
11-16-2003, 06:48 PM
Once many years ago (I was still playing "POKE AND HOPE") in Oakland a friend and I were playing. We noticed a REALLY huge (read FAT) guy watching us. Long story short, he wanted to bet us five dollars that he could place the 8 ball on the foot spot, stand at the foot corner, place the cb IN HIS MOUTH (TOTALLY TO WHERE YOU COULD NOT SEE IT), spit it out, have it go 3 rails and pocket the 8 in the corner. I WILL BE DAMNED IF HE DIDN'T DO IT!!! It was worth it just to see someone put a dirty ass cb in their mouth. YUCK!!

ras314
11-16-2003, 06:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> [quote= In came a black guy everybody knew, mostly a stake horse.
<hr /></blockquote>
I think the story would still have been interesting if he was just a guy. Would you have emphasized it if he was a white guy? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Well, told it like it happened. At least I didn't mention the name the stake horse was known by. It was really strange watching the kid play for money, he was in town for about a week. I will guarantee he was shown a lot of respect and got no static for being underage. This was in north Florida BTW.

Popcorn
11-16-2003, 07:02 PM
I tend to tell stories where I detail the person I was playing. I was playing a black guy, I was in Texas playing a Mexican guy or a Cuban guy and so on. If it is out of the ordinary you would add the detail. It just tends to create the mental picture as you tell the story and makes for better story telling. You can just as easily say, "I was playing this guy who was real tall". It has nothing to do with the story but you may throw it in anyway. If two black guys were talking about a white guy, I am pretty sure that detail would be mentioned, it is just human nature.

ras314
11-16-2003, 07:30 PM
OK, another another true story.

This was in Texas, at a Mexican bar. In fact the bartender was the only guy that owned up to speaking a little english.

I was just passing thru and stopped for a little R&amp;R, playing pool for a beer. Then guys came up wanting to play for a little more. A little confusing since I had to call the bartender over as an interpeter. Pretty soon games were $5 to $10 with the table lined up with quarters. Even when I lost they insisted I keep playing.

Money started adding up after a while, so I bought the house a round. Then just put the money in the open and kept buying the house a round when it got enough. Wasn't long till the place was packed out, drunks comming up that couldn't hit a ball. Think there were extra beer trucks called in. Best time I ever had in a bar, wound up maybe $50 ahead.

TomBrooklyn
11-16-2003, 10:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr>Would you have emphasized it if he was a white guy?<hr /></blockquote>I don't think the writer was emphasizing that the man was black as much as he was giving a description of him. One of the topics from the Purdue University Online Writing Lab (http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/index2.html) available to the public entitled Writing Descriptions (http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/general/gl_describe.html) indicates that in narrative writing, being descriptive can make the setting and the characters more vivid to the reader.

JimS
11-17-2003, 07:03 AM
..........ahem....i knew that /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I go there ALL the time.

PQQLK9
11-17-2003, 07:19 AM
Yea Right!
Looks like a course Rush Limbaugh probably took.

piglit
11-17-2003, 07:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> [quote= In came a black guy everybody knew, mostly a stake horse.
<hr /></blockquote>
I think the story would still have been interesting if he was just a guy. Would you have emphasized it if he was a white guy? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hoping that /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif is coz your are being critical "because you can" and you know it. It's not your post, you don't get to choose the wording.

You have to take the words for what they mean: the guy was black. That's all, homo!

-pigg

NEMO
11-17-2003, 10:34 AM
This one happened in a pool hall in a small college town in Northern California. Here's how I recall the story.

In comes an old guy that walked with a limp. He is accompanied with a taller, beefier, old guy. They look out of place. Later, they had told me they were in town visiting one of their daughters who was attending the university.

The smaller guy (said his name was Earl) notices a game of liar's dice going on and wants in. The house pro (Spot) is playing and welcomes the "opportunity". A little light playing is going on until Spot shows his cocky attitude. Spots flashes his roll of twenties. It is replied with Earl's flash of his fanned out hundreds. Game on! In the end, the house pro loses about a grand. He's mad and wants to recoup his losses on the pool table. The old man says he hasn't played pool in a long time but agrees to a game of one-pocket. But first he has to grab a little dinner.

As he walks out, Spot reaches for his stick and prepares for battle. He does a few warm up hits on the main action table and waits for his opponent to return. He waits, and waits, and waits. It was sad and funny sight to see him there wanting his revenge. The guy never came back that night. (I was suckered in too because I waited to see that match.)

Next night, old limping guy returns. The game they agreed upon the night before is still on, only this time word has gotten around in town, which means more money floating around. BTW, everyone thinks Spot will take crush Earl (not me).

So now, money is secure and game is ready to start. Earl walks around the pool hall and chooses a stick off the wall and play begins. Old limping guy comes out victorious.

It was such a sight to see. It was masterful to see Earl and his friend work the entire pool hall. I believe they walked away with 4K in total, 1K from dice, 2K on the game, and 1K from the rail. They said they would be back, afterall his daughter went to college there.

I never saw their faces again!

Nemo

Nostroke
11-17-2003, 10:47 AM
Pretty sure that old guy with the limp worked my town about 10 years ago. Flannel shirts, mid sixties,friendly but didnt talk much, played just good enough one pocket to beat everyone-said he was from Louisiana as i recall.

SPetty
11-17-2003, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote piglit:</font><hr> [ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In came a black guy... <hr /></blockquote>Would you have emphasized it if he was a white guy? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif<hr /></blockquote>Hoping that /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif is coz your are being critical "because you can" and you know it.

That's all, homo!<hr /></blockquote>I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but I just thought I'd mention FWIW that I had the same reaction when I read the story. I'm not black. I don't think he was being critical, simply making a gentle point.

Homo?

Popcorn
11-17-2003, 01:49 PM
"quote
" I had the same reaction when I read the story. I'm not black."

Are you kidding? I remember when the local paper stopped printing the race of people committing crimes. Pretty tough to catch a guy when they can't tell you what he looks like for fear of offending someone. It is all a bunch of BS.

pooltchr
11-17-2003, 02:18 PM
You know, I have known Nick for a few years now, and this post is the first time I ever even considered race. I guess I just always thought of him as a nice guy and a pool player.

Fred Agnir
11-17-2003, 03:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> You know, I have known Nick for a few years now, and this post is the first time I ever even considered race. I guess I just always thought of him as a nice guy and a pool player. <hr /></blockquote>Who's Nick? I'm so confused. Is he black? Old? Limping?

Anyway, to anyone that cares, what would be more acceptable for that pool story?

In walked a black guy...
In walked a black dude...
In walked a black kid...
In walked a colored boy...
In walked a negro gentleman...
In walked an African-American male...
In walked a brother who got his ass lost in New Mexico...
In walked this guy (who happened to be black)...
In walked a dark non-caucasian...

Although I have issues with pc names like Afro-American and Asian-American, at this point,they're the best we've got for better or for worse. To not acknowledge the ongoing sensitivity of the issue will always invoke some kind of reaction. Such is life.

Fred &lt;~~~ oriental

UWPoolGod
11-17-2003, 04:06 PM
I'll be the first to admit that I am as "white" as they come. Put me in Germany in during the World Wars and my blonde haired blue eyed @$$ would have probably been saying "Hail Hitler". But then I think they looked down on fat dudes...so I'd have been shot along with the rest.

Todd &lt;--- isn't a Cracker something you put cheese on?

SPetty
11-17-2003, 04:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>...what would be more acceptable for that pool story?<hr /></blockquote>"In came a guy everybody knew..."

I don't think there was an objection to the word "black". When I read it, I just wondered why it was important to include the information that the guy was black, and what value that information added to the story...

It was a fleeting, but very real, thought for me - I just thought I'd lend a bit of support to the other poster who mentioned it.

Ken
11-17-2003, 08:07 PM
It clearly added color to the story. I know; now I'm in trouble.
KenCT

ras314
11-17-2003, 10:51 PM
Gosh, never thought much of saying the guy was black. Like I said he was well known, always trying to stake some one of whatever race that might make him some money. The grandson gimmick was the best one he came up with.

Will make sure I don't mention any race, color or whatever in future posts. Suppose age may be a no-no also. Hope the Mexican story didn't offend anyone. Was no hustle there, just an unusually good time.

tateuts
11-17-2003, 10:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote piglit:</font><hr> That's all, homo!<hr /></blockquote>

I think piglit is Fast Larry again. Yawn...

Chris

cueball1950
11-18-2003, 12:57 AM
2 stories. 1st one told to me by Johnny Ervolino.(circa late 50's) Johnny and 5 buddies left NYC to go on the road. the problem was they only had about $20 in their pockets altogether.So they headed towards Buffalo. They started small maybe 50 cents a game and by the time they got to Buffalo they had about $600.00 in their pockets. Atleast that is the way he tells it. #2 (circa early 70's) in the local pool hall in Albany a road player from Massachusetts comes in and plays the best player in the house. The road player loses about $150- 200 bucks. The road player tells the local player that he needs the 8. The local player refuses and starts to take his cue apart. The road player ask's him what is he doing and the local player say's to him. You asked for the 8. i can't give it to you. So the road player say's never mind the 8. lets play even. Lo and behold the road player not only wins his money back but also takes the local for a couple of hundred of his own. That was a classic hustle Nick...RIP.....mike

Popcorn
11-18-2003, 02:25 AM
I can tell some hustling techniques that I liked to use. When you would go onto a pool room sometimes you would have a line on the guy you wanted to play but sometimes you would just look at the phone book for a pool room. So many guys were running around playing that anytime a strange guy would come into a pool room the regulars would notice him. Few people played 9-ball then, it was mostly a money game. If you got a table and threw out nine balls they would watch you and it would not be long before someone would come over and ask if you would like to play some. Surprisingly, the guys that come up and ask people in the room to play are not the best players in the room. Really good players don't do that. So you end up with usually a cheap game with an average player that may or may not turn into something, you never know.
Should I walk into a room and there is a game going on I will sit and watch. For one thing I now know how the players play. When the game ends I will ask the winner if he would like to play some more, but I always ask for weight. I don't care if I get it or not, but it starts us talking. If you just ask a guy to play you have been watching play, he will almost always say no. If you ask him for weight some dialog will start. Hopefully he will say something like, "I don't know you, why should I give you anything, if you want to play, play even". After some hesitance you agree to play. Unlike what you see in the movies, you never under any circumstances get behind, you win right from the start. If he quits right away, he would have quit you anyway, once he got behind, no matter how long you played. Or if you let him get very far ahead, he will quit you around even, making it a total waste of time. Once he shows some willingness to play though, you let up and try to keep the guy chasing his money.
Tournaments are another good place to make money, especially if there is action there. The local players can get caught up in the action and before you know it they want to be part of it. They will do things they would normally not do. There are a few of the tour players that will pray on local players. I don't mind saying I have seen players like Ray Martin and Jimmy Reid in ring games with local players that could hardly make a ball. All that is required is a willingness to play cheap, and you can make endless easy money. You never know what is going to happen. I got in a ring game once in a bowling alley for a quarter and a half. A lot of players would just pass and walk out. I was not doing anything anyway so I played. As better players got in they, raised the bet and I ended up winning something like $600.
I will give you an idea of never knowing what will happen.
I was in a bar one night and there is a cheap challenge 8 ball game going on. the kind you see in most bars. I have no interest in the game, I'm sitting there talking with some women I just met. A guy I know named Dale comes in. He just came from the dog track and of course doesn't have a nickel. He takes a quarter from my change on the bar and puts it on the table. His turn comes up and they are playing for $2.00 or something. I guess if he lost the first game he would have had to borrow the money from me to pay, but he began to win, he plays pretty good. After a few hours he has ground out a few dollars and a couple of the players want to play for more. They begin playing for $10.00 and $20.00 an game and Dale manages to get up a couple of hundred or more, by the time the place is closing. One of the guys playing now wants to play cards. Dale plays Gin real good, but he doesn't want to go anywhere with this guy by himself and asks if I want to go. I agree, so with my new friend from the bar we go to this guys apartment so they can play cards. To make a long story short, By the next afternoon Dale beats this guy for about $2000.00. Everybody is falling asleep and they make an appointment to play some more. Over the next month, Dale beats the guy for over $20,000.00. all as a result of the original borrowed quarter. The sad part is, he could not have won anything from Dale. I guess I have had too much caffeine tonight, my wife is out of town and I am just sitting here and felt like typing a little.

#### leonard
11-18-2003, 07:45 AM
Popcorn I have to give my two stories. Cueball 1950 talking about the Albany hustle. When I was running the Golden Cue, Gene Nagy came in the poolroom on a busy Friday night walked through the room looking for a game then left the pool room. Johnny Ninas, a good shortstop starts out after him I said Johnny let him go but Johnny went out and got Gene and 2 hours later he is broke and saying why didn't I tell him how good he was. I said what did you think when I told you to let him go. If you stopped I would have told you who he was but no you chased after him you didn't want to lose a sucker. You weren't listening to me now its my fault you lost.

The second story was in Glens Falls, a poolplayer is playing a guy who is taking money out of a briefcase after playing him for hours he has won $14,000. Now the game is raised to a thousand a game and he shows some speed and wins two games and the guy quits.

The next day or so the FBI is questioning him about his opponent it seem that he had embezzleed 250,000 from his bank. They didn't want the money back just INfo.####

Nostroke
11-18-2003, 10:20 AM
there was no emphasis, just a description which helped us visualize or maybe even make us realize we might know who it was.

Just like the older guy with the limp. Because there was a description, i think i recognized the guy which made it way more interesting to me. The pool world is a pretty small community. I dont think i could go to three poolrooms in the US for more than 2 hours where i wouldnt at least recognize someone.

Some people cant tell a description from stereotyping or slur or whatever the problem was i guess.