PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Pool Balls

jimark
11-15-2003, 12:46 PM
What is the best way to clean pool balls using normal household or car cleaning products?

SecaucusFats
11-15-2003, 05:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jimark:</font><hr> What is the best way to clean pool balls using normal household or car cleaning products? <hr /></blockquote>

Use lukewarm water with a little dishwashing liquid and a terrycloth wash towel. Rinse them well with plain water and then dry with a terrycloth towel. Once they are all dry, apply a very small amount of good quality car wax. Allow the wax to dry to a haze, and then buff with a clean soft cloth. That's all you need.

Never use any harsh cleaners like Fantastik or ammonia, and most definitely never use bleach. Also, never wash pool balls in a dishwasher (they will become faded and discolored).

Fats

JimS
11-16-2003, 09:46 AM
I've tried several different product and found that like "Fats" has posted you should wash in regular dish detergent, rinse hot, dry well. Then I've found tht Karseal Ball Cleaner has worked better for me than the car wax/cleaners I've tried.

Available from www.poolndarts.com (http://www.poolndarts.com) or other places too. They also sell a good paste wax for cues. I use a microfiber towel to buff. They have no lint.

ras314
11-16-2003, 09:56 AM
Anybody use the ball cleaning machines that polish the balls against other balls?

Is there enough friction to reduce their size if polished often?

JimS
11-16-2003, 09:59 AM
I spent about $50 or more on one of those home polishing contraptions and I think I get better results by hand. I've not used one of the professional $500 ones at the ph but I suspect they do a good job without damage.

Fred Agnir
11-17-2003, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jimark:</font><hr> What is the best way to clean pool balls using normal household or car cleaning products? <hr /></blockquote>Nothing with bleach. It has been reported that bleach will make the white of the balls turn pinkish.

Dawn dish detergent seems to work well. In fact, my daughter did a "stain removal experiment" for school. Out of all the stain pre-treaters and removal products out there Dawn dish detergent easily beat them all on every common stain.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
11-17-2003, 09:03 AM
Dawn has many uses apparently. A truck overturned in Cincy spilling thousands of gallons of rendered fat. After 24 hours of trying everything they could think of to clean it up they hauled out the 55 gal. drums of Dawn. Worked like a charm.

Isn't that what they used on the birds after the Exxon Valdez spill?

Wally in Cincy~~Proctor and Gamble fan /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NEMO
11-17-2003, 09:39 AM
Chrome Polish! Blue Magic. You can get the stuff at auto parts shops, Pep Boys, etc..

Use with a old cotton t-shirt. Works really well.

Nemo

cycopath
11-17-2003, 11:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr>...never wash pool balls in a dishwasher (they will become faded and discolored).
<hr /></blockquote>
My buddy found that one out the hard way. They look real funny now.

Rick the stick
11-17-2003, 03:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr>...never wash pool balls in a dishwasher (they will become faded and discolored).
<hr /></blockquote>
My buddy found that one out the hard way. They look real funny now. <hr /></blockquote>

WRONG WRONG WRONG, DIRTY BALLS THROW AND PLAY BETTER, NEVER DO THIS STUFF. IF YOU GET A SMUDGE ON THEM, JUST WIPE IT OFF WITH A DRY TOWEL. CLEAN YOUR CUE BALL WITH A GOOD BALL CLEANER AND WAX IT, SPRAY IT WITH WD 40 and let it dry over night, then wipe it down and play with it the next day. Have a clean cue ball and dirty balls you pot. We went through this once before and every one, I mean everyone thought I was nuts then, so 2nd time around I expect the same abuse as before. As any top trick shot player who makes his living on controlling how balls throw and they will tell you da stick gave it to your straight. The people who push this are the guys selling ball cleaners and the liguids. Ok, you can say it, Rick has dirty balls, I confess.
Don't mess wit da stick, mess with my wa it ain't pretty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
11-17-2003, 06:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rick the stick:</font><hr> WRONG WRONG WRONG, DIRTY BALLS THROW AND PLAY BETTER, NEVER DO THIS STUFF. IF YOU GET A SMUDGE ON THEM, JUST WIPE IT OFF WITH A DRY TOWEL. CLEAN YOUR CUE BALL WITH A GOOD BALL CLEANER AND WAX IT, SPRAY IT WITH WD 40 and let it dry over night, then wipe it down and play with it the next day. Have a clean cue ball and dirty balls you pot. We went through this once before and every one, I mean everyone thought I was nuts then, so 2nd time around I expect the same abuse as before. As any top trick shot player who makes his living on controlling how balls throw and they will tell you da stick gave it to your straight. The people who push this are the guys selling ball cleaners and the liguids. Ok, you can say it, Rick has dirty balls, I confess.
Don't mess wit da stick, mess with my wa it ain't pretty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Gee Rick, I don't remember YOU being involved in the last discussion about cleaning pool balls. I remember Fast Larry giving the same advise, you are giving now.

Hmmmmmmmmm. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Although your advise may be good for trick shots, I believe for a fair game of pool, all balls should be equally clean or dirty, preferably clean. JMHO.

bangdaboomboom
11-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Post deleted by ccboard_admin

bluewolf
11-18-2003, 05:38 AM
There are about 1000 registered ccbers, although all do not post. Usually when a person gets banned, the complaints come from more than one person.

Since scott is not 'without sin', I would doubt that his complaints alone would result in a person being banned.Scott has gotten 'flamey' and so have others, yet they are still here.

I know that I got complaints in the past but was not banned. I assume that the number of complaints was not adequate or the crime was not great enough, since I am still here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JMO on the banning process. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura