PDA

View Full Version : First table purchase, confused by all the brands

MD_SPEED
11-15-2003, 02:03 PM
We're looking to purchase our first table. We are both very casual users. We've look at Brunswick and Olhausen. Both dealers talk bad about the other tables. Our price range is $2500-3500. Any advice you could give would be great.

Harold Acosta
11-15-2003, 05:36 PM
1st choice: Brunswick Gold Crown IV
2nd choice: Brunswick Gold Crown III
3rd choice: Brunswick Gold Crown II
4th choice: Brunswick Gold Crown

You could probably find a good used table in your price range.

Ken
11-15-2003, 05:57 PM
Do a search on "Olhausen" and you'll find that this topic has many been discussed several times. There is also a lot of info on furniture tables vs. commercial tables. A used commercial table will hold its value but it might not be what you want. At least it will play like a commercial table.

If a dealer insists that the other brand is no good without giving a very good explanation I wouldn't buy from him.
KenCT

Billy
11-15-2003, 07:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MD_SPEED:</font><hr> We're looking to purchase our first table. We are both very casual users. We've look at Brunswick and Olhausen. Both dealers talk bad about the other tables. Our price range is $2500-3500. Any advice you could give would be great. <hr /></blockquote>

Olhausen is a furniture type table that usually the better half prefers because of how it will look in the home.a true player usually does not enjoy playing on a home table imo

on the other hand (in no particular order) a Brunswick Gold Crown,a Diamond Professional,or a Gabriel would be 'real' pool tables that I would suggest.they may last a lifetime.a minimum 9' would be preferred by the player with a nice quality Simonis or Granito cloth usually green in color

if you had time on your hands, used would be the route I would take.it would suit your budget and you would get the real deal.otherwise these new commercial grade tables may double your anticipated budget.

have fun with whatever you choose

jmo

Drake
11-16-2003, 08:23 AM
A Cherry Diamond Pro with the matching light and chairs is the way to go. Great looking table that plays really tough. You might as well go ahead and make sure to get the Artemis cushions and Brass feet on it while your doing it.

JimS
11-16-2003, 09:24 AM
You need to decide several things.

What size? Add 5' to each side (10 ft to width and length), minimum, to determine room size.

How serious are you about playing and wanting to improve? If you are serious you'll want a 9 ft "players" table like a Brunswick Gold Crown, a Diamond Pro (my choice...got one, love it) or a Gabriels. If you want to have fun get a smaller good looking "furniture" type table. If the table is for family fun then a smaller table with good sized pockets is much more fun that the large tight pocketed players table....and the family type table is usually cheaper too.

I shopped Brunswick and Olhausen when I was looking for my first table. I found little difference in the tables and prices and I bought a Brunswick because I believed that the dealer was a person who would treat me right if I had problems. I was right. He sent his crew out here free of charge (50 miles one way) on 3 occasions because the slate kept popping. I was happy with the Brunswick but decided I wanted a "players" table with tight pockets.

What accessories are they sending with your table purchase? You should be getting about 4 cues, a short cue, a bridge, rack, balls, table cover, dozen chalk (insist on Master chalk), a rule book. Talk them into upgrading the balls and maybe the table cover too. Does the price include free delivery and set-up with guaranteed satisfaction?

Insist on a good cloth. Simonis 860 is considerd by most to be the best and you may not need to go with the best but don't let them sell you cheap "felt". In fact, I'd be leery of any pool sales person that called the cloth "felt". It shows lack of pool knowledge, understanding and respect, imo. Look at good cloth and compare with the "felt". You'll immediately know why some of it is called felt and why the good stuff is called cloth and it makes a huge difference in the playability of the table.

What about a light? Will they allow a discount on the light if you buy their table. How many bulbs in the light? A 9 ft table needs four incandescent bulbs. How about game room furniture? Bundle it w/the table and have greater buying power?

I didn't know about any of that stuff above when I went shopping for my first one and I got real lucky in finding an honest dealer that told me all about it without gougeing me for a few hunderd extra. Midwest Pool Tables in Moline Il.

That's all that comes to mind. Good luck. HAVE FUN!!

Sid_Vicious
11-16-2003, 09:47 AM
Good advice already, I'll add DO NOT buy some bizzare color for the cloth whatever you decide to get. Some people have to try and match a room color by getting red, YUK! Stick to the basic green, you won't regret it. Simonas, yea! It last longer and plays great. I whole heartedly agree that a used table is the way to go if you have the locale which supports a healthy want-ad section to the news paper. There is usually someone at the PH who buys and sells tables as well, some are really good table mechanics as well. Thing you MUST do if you get used is to hire a reputable mechanic to move it, I set mine up myself the first time and it never played near as well as it did later after getting someone to recover and reset the foundation on the same table. Those guys know their business, and I am not necessarily talking about billiard storefronts, I mean the independents. You save a bundle using middle men and they are usually much better(IMO) than the retail people.

Where are you located?

sid

MD_SPEED
11-18-2003, 05:55 AM
Lots of great advice, thanks for all the responses.
We play pool very, very little. We'd like to get a table that we can play casually with friends. We don't know any "expert" players so that's not a concern.
8' or 8 1/2' would be the largest table we can get and still allow us to use the 58" cues.
Because of the access to our basement, the table will need to come in several pieces and will have to be built in the basement. That's why I have not considered a used table.
BTW, we're located in Maryland.

JimS
11-18-2003, 06:48 AM
They always come in several pieces so that's not a problem.

I think I'd recommend a 7 ft table. They're fun to play on, come in some great furniture styles that will look great and you'll have more room in your room. You might check on eBay just to find out the going prices and then buy from a reputable retailer in your area.

You might want to call the local pool hall and ask where they would recommend you buy. They may know of a local player and/or table mechanic who sells new and used tables out of his home or something. Here where I live by far the best deal around is from a guy who is an expert player and table mechanic who sells pool equipment of all sorts on eBay all out of his home and without being visible to the general public..no storefront or newspaper ads, etc.

Have FUN!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

#### leonard
11-18-2003, 07:18 AM
MD Speed I will give you the same advice I gave a friend check the want ads, the husband dies and the wife wants it out of the house etc. Within a month he called telling me he had bought an old pooltable for $1200 would I move it and set it up for him. We got the table in his house and I had him call Blatt Billiards in NYC and had him ask the price for a Brunswick Pfister model. Yes he had one he coud have for $32,000 but it would take 9 months for delivery. In the late 1800s and till the 30s the billiard industry made some of the most beautiful pieces of furniture/pooltables and there stuck in attics/basements through out the country.####

Rich R.
11-18-2003, 07:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MD_SPEED:</font><hr> Lots of great advice, thanks for all the responses.
We play pool very, very little. We'd like to get a table that we can play casually with friends. We don't know any "expert" players so that's not a concern.
8' or 8 1/2' would be the largest table we can get and still allow us to use the 58" cues.
Because of the access to our basement, the table will need to come in several pieces and will have to be built in the basement. That's why I have not considered a used table.
BTW, we're located in Maryland.
<hr /></blockquote>
In your price range, you can get a number of different model Brunswick 8' tables, some with one inch thick slate and they play well. I know, I have one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Is it a pro quality table? No.
Is it good for fun and practice? Yes.

Since I am in Maryland also, I can tell you that you may want to visit Cagle's Billiard Supply, in Owings Mills. They have a lot of tables on display, in a variety of price ranges. It is a good place to look around at tables, even if you decide to buy someplace else. Although they occasionaly have a model on sale, their normal prices are not cheap, but whose are? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

You can definitely find a better price, on a used table, but if you want a new one, Cagle's is the local Brunswick dealer. I believe they sell at least one other brand also.
I believe Champion's is an authorized Olhausen dealer, but I have not been there.
There is also a place in Laurel, named Bruzzi's (sp), but I don't know what brand tables they carry.

Happy shopping. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
11-18-2003, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MD_SPEED:</font><hr> We're looking to purchase our first table. We are both very casual users. We've look at Brunswick and Olhausen. Both dealers talk bad about the other tables. Our price range is $2500-3500. Any advice you could give would be great. <hr /></blockquote>

Here's a post by a friend of mine (and CCBoard part-time lurker) who shared his journey and continued thoughts when he bought his pool table. It's a little dated now, but it really is filled with good information.

On Table Hunting (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=table+gabriels+group:alt.sport.pool+autho r:gideon&amp;hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;selm=a8455357.0201241032.281434dc%40posting.goog le.com&amp;rnum=1)

Good Luck,

Fred

Fred Agnir
11-18-2003, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> You need to decide several things.

What size? Add 5' to each side (10 ft to width and length), minimum, to determine room size. <hr /></blockquote> I've said this before, but I'll repeat myself in case anyone cares. If you add 5' to each side of each dimension, I would suggest to add 5' to the outside dimensions of the table, or add 64" (58" stick plus ~ 6" stroke) to the inside dimensions to each side.

Adding 5' to each side of the table size dimensions (e.g 4.5 x 9 becomes 14.5' x 19') will come up unequal in the width (as far as distance to the wall). That might surprise people who don't do the actual measurements when they put a 9' table in a 14.5' x 19' room and come up with less stroke than they would have liked across the width.

If 19' is the reference length, then 14' 10" is its respective width.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
11-18-2003, 08:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MD_SPEED:</font><hr>
We play pool very, very little. We'd like to get a table that we can play casually with friends. We don't know any "expert" players so that's not a concern..... <hr /></blockquote>

If that's the case you might consider a Kasson. A decent American-made table reasonably priced.

I also think you should consider a 7-footer if you are even a little bit tight on space. You will pocket more balls and have more fun and you won't be reaching for the shorty stick on every other shot.

MD_SPEED
11-18-2003, 12:21 PM
I'll go home and re-check the dimensions but I'm pretty sure the room is 13x19.
Rich R, thanks for the tip. I'll check them out. I've heard of another place that's toward Baltimore that's supposed to have a bunch of tables on the floor. I went to Champions to see the Olhausen tables. Didn't care for the sales person there but I guess that shouldn't keep my from buying a table.
I'll give Kasson a try as well.

Anyone know where to find prices for the different models? The companies don't list them so I don't know if a table is in my range or not.

pooltchr
11-18-2003, 01:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MD_SPEED:</font><hr> I'll go home and re-check the dimensions but I'm pretty sure the room is 13x19.
<hr /></blockquote>

You definitely want to go with a 7' table. Even so, you will be reaching for a short cue for anything straight off the side rail.

JimS
11-18-2003, 06:02 PM
When I started my search I thought that a 7 ft table was a kids toy or something.

I soon learned that the 7 ft tables are what most people play on when they go anywhere to play, be it in league, tournaments or just shooting a little pool with some brews.

I almost wish I'd bought a 7 ft instead of this 9 ft table. It would be nice to be accustomed to the tables that are out there and it sure would take up a lot less room. You won't believe how the table fills the room. My 20x30 ft family room became a pool only room with the addition of the 9 ft table. An 8 ft table in the room you describe might be just too much table.

griffith_d
11-18-2003, 08:00 PM

I got an oversize 8 for $3800, with leather pockets. Connelly is a great table for the money. I got the Coronado.

http://connellybilliards.com/products/pinnacle/default.asp#catalina3

Griff

ras314
11-18-2003, 08:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> When I started my search I thought that a 7 ft table was a kids toy or something.

I soon learned that the 7 ft tables are what most people play on when they go anywhere to play, be it in league, tournaments or just shooting a little pool with some brews.

I almost wish I'd bought a 7 ft instead of this 9 ft table. It would be nice to be accustomed to the tables that are out there and it sure would take up a lot less room. You won't believe how the table fills the room. My 20x30 ft family room became a pool only room with the addition of the 9 ft table. An 8 ft table in the room you describe might be just too much table. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm going at this a little different. Can't add on to the house so I'm building a 24X30 seperate building. Ought to be enough room for a 9 ft table, long side across the 23 inside diameter, and leave room for other stuff.

Fred Agnir
11-19-2003, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Can't add on to the house so I'm building a 24X30 seperate building. Ought to be enough room for a 9 ft table, long side across the 23 inside diameter, and leave room for other stuff. <hr /></blockquote> Yeah. Like a billiard table, snooker table, and a 7' bar table.

Fred &lt;~~~ okay, maybe not all them

Fred Agnir
11-19-2003, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MD_SPEED:</font><hr> I'll go home and re-check the dimensions but I'm pretty sure the room is 13x19.<hr /></blockquote>My room is 8" or so wider than that, and my 7' table is still a tight squeeze. A table is better than no table, but you're going to be using that short stick a lot.

Fred

Perk
11-19-2003, 09:04 AM
Jim,

We could trade? lol...I want a 9' but have settled for the time being with a 7'.

Ras,
I had discussed adding on a separate building/enclosure for a game/pool room to accomadate a 9' and a bar. We ended up not doing this idea for one main reason. So many people have a table in their house, and they dont use it. My logic was that if it was in a separate building, I wouldnt be able to use it as often, or would lack the energy to leave my current building and go out to the gameroom.

We may add an external garage, and use our attached garage to turn into that gameroom. My wife is for that, I am not so sure just yet. I am content with my current room. I cannot understand why she wants a "sitting" room, isnt that what the living room is for? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ras314
11-19-2003, 11:54 AM
Fred...Sure would like to add a snooker table. Looks like I'm going to go broke before the 9 footer. Going to hunt for a Dianomd Pro.

Perk...Females are funny critters. Seems to me like a room with a chair is a "setting room" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've known several people that use their table to pile stuff on. Only 2 serious players around here, hope to get them comming over.

SPetty
11-19-2003, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> ...so I'm building a 24X30 seperate building.<hr /></blockquote>That's what I did. Mine's 24 X 40, with an upstairs. Comfortably holds my 9' Diamond Pro and my 7' Valley Cougar. If you want to see what yours might look like, the upstairs is a great guest room - come on over and "set" a spell! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ras314
11-19-2003, 12:57 PM
SPetty,
I've seen pictures of your room, really nice. Me, I'll probably just leave bare insulation on the wall. Might help catch flying cbs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the invite, might take you up on it sometime when Scott Lee is there.

MD_SPEED
11-20-2003, 06:33 AM
Measured the room yesterday. It's 15' x 19'. I found 3 other places kind of close to me that I'm going to try and check out this weekend. I'm also going to lay some tape down on the floor to represent the size of each table so I can visually see how much room is available.

JimS
11-20-2003, 06:52 AM
There is another thread now regarding room size needed and within that thread is a link to the Brunswick site and a room size chart. Check it out. I still think you'll be happier with the 7 ft table and the extra amount of room you'll have for other things....chairs, a table, a tv, stereo, etc. Go to a bar and play on a 7 ft table.

ras314
11-20-2003, 07:50 AM
Yeah, don't forget room for a chair or two. I spend too much time in 'em. Besides would also be a setting Room. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Table is nice, need somewhere to put your beer. Uh, referigator would be good too. Oops, my 17X23 is begining to look a little small.

MD_SPEED
11-20-2003, 10:25 AM
This room is only one of three that make up the space in the basement. There another room to the right and in front of it. When I gave room dimensions it's just for the area where the table will go. The bar is in another room.