PDA

View Full Version : Just Saw "The Hustler"

FearlessInc
11-15-2003, 03:27 PM
Good movie. Real nice...I was hoping to also get Color of Money and Pool Junkies but Blockbuster didn't have it though.

Was this based on a true story though? Other than that, a really good movie. Color of Money is the sequel or something?

FearlessInc
11-15-2003, 03:30 PM
I forgot to mention. The beginning and end was really good. Got me into it right away, but some scenes in the middle really started to bored me, with Sarah and etc. The love story inside was just okay, but I was kind of hoping to see entirely about pool in the movie.

But still, like I said, a REALLY good movie, a classic maybe, even.

Got the Special Edition, so I'm going to see the special features /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Popcorn
11-15-2003, 03:34 PM
That's cool to hear how someone enjoyed something made over 40 years ago. The movie is timeless. I think every new generation of players love The Hustler when they see it.

Steve Lipsky
11-15-2003, 04:07 PM
I've always felt that without Sarah, the movie would be nothing. The urgency of the final game would have no meaning.

- Steve

FearlessInc
11-15-2003, 04:08 PM
Yeah, that's true... that's the only thing I saw that Sarah was necessary, to help build Fast Eddie's "Character"

L.S. Dennis
11-15-2003, 06:53 PM
This is a movie that withstands the test of time. It was up for several acacamy awards back in 1961 but unfortunately that was the year that 'Westside Story' was also released and well the rest is history.

The Hustler is unquestionably the best of all the pool movies ever to come out, in fact I just watched it again about a week ago. Newman, Gleason, and Scott were perfectly cast for their parts.

Rick the stick
11-16-2003, 02:24 AM
It won best picture, Fast Eddy did not have any character in either movie, all he did was use and discard every one he met, charlie, sarah, vincent. Sarah summed it all up on the mirror, sick, perverted, twisted, was that pool, bert or Fast, maybe all 3 together, who knows. No is was not a true story, it was fiction by Tevis, it was a story that was re written and changed 3 or 4 times, I have all versions of it in house.
Dont mess wit da stick, mess with my wa it aint pretty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BillPorter
11-16-2003, 08:21 AM
Sorry, it didn't win Best Picture. It was NOMINATED for Best Picture, but didn't win that award. It did win two Oscars, however. One for, "Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Black-and-White" and one for, "Best Cinematography, Black-and-White." It got several other nominations (Newman, Scott and Gleason were all nominated, as was Piper Laurie and the director). Undoubtedly the best pool movie of all time (at least so far!). By the way, as was already pointed out, West Side Story won Best Picture that year. If West Side Story hadn't happened, The Hustler would probably have won a couple more Oscars.

ras314
11-16-2003, 09:49 AM
Popcorn...I recently bought the movie and it seems at least a couple scenes have changed. The first hustle shot was a masse as I remember it, can't see just what the version now is supposed to be. As I remember it the thumb breaking scene was done on the pool table, not in another backlit room.

Or maybe the long term memory is going too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JoePickens
11-16-2003, 10:13 AM
I think your long term memory must be not be long enough. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The opening shot was not a masse shot and when they broke Fast Eddie's thumbs it was in another backlit room.

FearlessInc
11-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Are you guys talking about the opening shot in the beginning of the movie? I thought it was the cue and 8ball (not sure if it was frozen or just really close) and he hit it to the opposite corner pocket... I don't think that's a masse shot or what do I know? Heh

ras314
11-16-2003, 12:03 PM
"I think your long term memory must be not be long enough."

A distink possabilty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Can't spell either. LOL

Popcorn
11-16-2003, 12:17 PM
It has not been changed, I saw it when it first came out and had one of the first copies of it on tape around 1978. I still have it by the way, but I don't know if it will still play. Interestingly it was one of the first movies offered on tape when the VCR was introduced to the public. I had a pool room at the time with a big screen TV I built myself and I would run the movie all the time. I may have seen it 500 times or more.

ras314
11-16-2003, 12:38 PM
Can't figure out what movie had the masse shot. I tried it in a pool hall till they made me quit, something about being hard on the equipment. All balls on or near the end rail, make a ball in the corner pocket and curve back around an interfering ball to make the 9 in the opposite pocket. Or somthing similar.

Was the same deal in getting the bartender to bet against making the shot.

Kinda worried now, memory must be shot.

WaltVA
11-16-2003, 12:49 PM
Wasn't there a masse on the 9 like that in COM? Seem to remember one of Vinnie's show-off shots like that. But I'm in the "worry about your memory" age bracket, too.

Walt in VA

ras314
11-16-2003, 12:54 PM
I'm going to have to get COM now just to find out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Saw both when they first came out, didn't care much for COM.

Popcorn
11-16-2003, 01:39 PM
I don't think there was any 9-ball played in the hustler except for when he got his thumbs broken. In the bar in the beginning they are playing 8-ball. The whole idea in the first scene is Eddie is not a very good player and when he makes the straight back corner bank it seems like he lucked it in. A masse shot would not fit into the scenario.

JoePickens
11-16-2003, 04:26 PM
"I think your long term memory must be not be long enough."

I don't know about your spelling, but my sentences don't make a lot of sense either. Maybe I was trying for "To be or not to be..."

Rick the stick
11-16-2003, 10:02 PM
The opening shot was not a masse, it was a cross bank, the ob froze on the rail, the cb froze on the ob. You mis cue over the top of the cb, the ob kicks the cb out of the way and does a cross bank pot. Put this shot on freeze frame camera and its a foul for most players. FL can make it without a foul by just fanning lightly the very top of the cb. The name of this shot is: The hustlers cross bank.

There were two masses deeper into the show, it was the same shot by fats and eddy, both shots were made by Mosconi, a 2in2 in the corner. By todays standard that is a fairly simple masse. Fl makes that same shot now in his show using a $4 kmart mop handle with no tip. the name of that masse is called: The short Masse.You can believe that, or not.
Dont mess wit da stick, mess with my was and in aint pretty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FearlessInc
11-17-2003, 08:08 PM
Finally found "The Color of Money" and "Poolhall Junkies"

Just saw Color of Money, it wasn't bad. I thought the Hustler was still a lot better and is definitely a classic. This movie wasn't too bad though. I would have never guessed that Fast Eddie gets hustled and then starts playing again.

Poolhall Junkie is next.