PDA

View Full Version : Been Playing Less, Now Playing Better

Sid_Vicious
11-16-2003, 12:05 PM
My pool life changed drastically lately, cut back to one league night, every other week, and have taken one weekend day away from the PH to tutor someone in the game, and yet my game is better. A good friend of mine complimented me, "I can see a difference in your game since you took a student." I honestly feel that the cut-back from relentless playing had as much to do with it as anything, but teaching basic fundamentals has REALLY carried over to my game as well. I ain't no world beater but am finishing on the upside in some of my most recent wagers and in the small tourneys, making it in the money or close nearly every time. If anybody has the opportunity, take a student and take give yourself distraction from killing yourself with personal practice and actual playing. Something fits in this theory, at least for me...sid

ras314
11-16-2003, 12:11 PM
How is the student doing?

Always heard the way to really learn any subject was to teach it. Sounds like pool may be the same.

Sid_Vicious
11-16-2003, 12:25 PM
A challenge. I find it is tricky defining things so I am having to organize my descriptions, which probably explain it to myself in clearer ways as well.

She and I are having a little friction in doing drills, so this will take some time and patience. Tell the truth, I'm not certain a genuine interest is really there but I'll stick it out as long as I keep her on the table, no matter if much of the early lessons are more play-play than work. I KNOW there's a game there, just have to hope that the true fever kicks in before the "give up" zone does. I actually have two whom I'm helping, and my guess is that her grandmother will take a leap forward(she is an APA2 to begin with), which may very well promote the granddaughter to want to improve. Refardless I am having fun and getting good side effects from the deal. Can't beat that!!!sid

ras314
11-16-2003, 01:11 PM
Be an unusual young girl willing to work on the pool table. Doesn't seem like she would have the "beat your peers" incentive boys may have. Now if she has a brother she badly wants to beat, that may work. Real "love for the game" ain't likley to happen for a while.

Besides drills aren't much fun. No thrill to do something everybody around seems to expect you do well anyway.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-16-2003, 10:49 PM
Sid,

I've always found that as a coach, or teacher, I tend to spend time on the fundamentals. This is great feedback for my game. It's like starting from scratch on my stance, preparation, pre-shot routine and aiming. Getting bact to basics has helped my game become very consistant.

Now if I could only find a way to get my head out of everyshot..

Rick the stick
11-17-2003, 01:53 AM
Simple, it's called Zen, oooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaooooooommmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaooonnnnohhhhhhhhhononooahahahahahah om omo aommmoammmm omomomom... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Don't mess wit da stick, mess with my wa it ain't very pretty.

bluewolf
11-17-2003, 06:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rick the stick:</font><hr> Simple, it's called Zen, <hr /></blockquote>

Silly. Dont do the zen sit anymore. Attitude is zen.

Laura---&gt; thinks oommm would mess me up at the table

Fred Agnir
11-17-2003, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> but teaching basic fundamentals has REALLY carried over to my game as well. <hr /></blockquote>I've found this to be true in other endeavors as well. Organizing your thoughts and methods into teaching drives home those ideas into yourself as well.

Fred

Pelican
11-17-2003, 09:59 AM
Excellent Sid. I have always thought I would like to be a teacher but even though I understand the game I have lost some of my ability to apply it in my own game. I might be hard to convinence a student that something is what they need to do if the instructor can't do it himself. Still, my anology to that is, when the Dallas Cowboys were "the team" Tom Landry would not have been able to carry the ball and score but he could show the players what they need to do to win. That is a teacher.

Keep working with your student. Even if she doesn't succeed if it improves your game the effort is worth it.