PDA

View Full Version : Know any good books??

Pied Piper
11-17-2003, 11:48 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew any good or interesting books that contains pool stories? I have playing off the rail, Mcgoorty, Byrnes book of shrot stories, billiards at half past nine, The Hustler, and color of money. Does anyone know another good pool books that have stories, not instructional?

PQQLK9
11-17-2003, 12:21 PM
"The Hustlers Handbook"
by Steve Allen
Premier Publishing (Copyright 1993)
P.O. Box 813415
Smyrna,GA 30081 U.S.A.
The title says it all...real good Hustler stories and tips.

The Rhino Chaser
11-17-2003, 01:16 PM
There is a new book out called Hustler Days. It contains story's about old time players and hustler's. Minnesota Fats, Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter and Cornbread Red are the focus of the book. I read the book jacket and a few pages this weekend at the Glass City Open. Bebop publishing was selling them at the Open not sure if available anywhere other than Bebop. There where sold out when I bought mine and are sending me a copy. I will post a review when I get the book.

Rick the stick
11-17-2003, 02:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> "The Hustlers Handbook"
by Steve Allen
Premier Publishing (Copyright 1993)
P.O. Box 813415
Smyrna,GA 30081 U.S.A.
The title says it all...real good Hustler stories and tips.
<hr /></blockquote>

P&amp;B magazine rated this book in the top 20 written in the last 50 years. When it came out in 93 everyone in the industry creamed it, their reviews just slamed it into the ground. The book failed and never was read by the general public. That was what the powers to be then wanted, they could not allow any one to write a book on gambling, God forbid, and a handbook on how to do it, Lord please smite these people at once.

I spent months on this project with Steve and was the ghost writer, I supplied a great deal of the inside data, Steve took what he knew and together we put together a nice work. Steve was a professional writer who worked for a newspaper. Most guys like me, or Fatty, even Hoppe, can't write a book because they lack the English skills to do so correctly. Most books have been written like this, the player gives most of the raw data and the writer cleans it up for him. It comes out in the players name but did he really write it, well yes and no. It does take a team to pull these books off correctly, few real pool players have ever done this on their own and made it work and have it worth reading.

I was offered to have my name listed as a co author and I declined not wanting to do anything that might affect the books success, so I just stayed anoymous and unkown on this. Part of the problem was Steve was a total unkown and in 93 so was I. I did not think a no name could make a book a success. I felt if your name was not Byrne few would buy it. I had just set a world record on a 10 rail bank and that had caused a fire storm of controversy so I did not think my name on the book helped his cause, I feared it might have a negative effect.

Steve lost a lot of money self publishing this work and was so shocked by the way he was trashed by the magazines and the reviewers he never wrote again on pool and stopped playing the game entirely. A hugh talent was lost with the many future contributations the man would have surely made just because some people said no no, gambling, hurts our image, we cannot have that. Pool lost what could have been a 2nd Bob Byrne.

A decade later his work gets re discovered by a new generation and now appreciated. Steve was a great guy, a fine player and wonderful writer. He also was on the board of directors of TASA and worked with me on several project, we were very close friends.
That is the rest of the story, so if you can find a book, snag a copy, it's nice reading and it's a must for any newbie who wants to begin gambling or matching up.

There are other things I have done or am doing that are also going to come out in the future that will be more shocking than this. The people who have been beating me up the most have been the gamblers and they did not know I gambled hard on my game from 1957 to 1973 and actually helped write the manual and bible on the subject. Most of my knowledge came directly from my teachers Omaha Fat and Minnesota Fats. Here we go again, bang da boom, now every one jump on me on this one like you did on the jump cue.

Why is it so hard for some of you to realize and accept that I am making solid contributions to the game and have been doing so for a long time now.

I am in the process of writing my 2nd book and when it comes out in the Spring it is going to blow your socks off. It is on a subject ignored up to this point and it is going to help all pool players move up to a higher level. I will be filming a series of DVD instruction videos so you can view my teaching theories live. All I ask is let me work without being messed with, I have a lot of knowledge that is helping many to play at new levels. This is being viewed now on two other boards, it would be nice If I could do the same thing here and not be snipped at by Freddie and his band of bozo's everytime I venture an opinion.

Don't mess wit da stick, mess with my wa and it ain't pretty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UWPoolGod
11-17-2003, 03:09 PM
Recently I don't think I have read anything on here bashing you in any way. Everything that I have read at AZ and billiards-pool.net is exactly as a teacher of the game should conduct himself. Get asked questions, offer sane answers. I think where people harp on you is when you say something like this:

"Why is it so hard for some of you to realize and accept that I am making solid contributions to the game and have been doing so for a long time now. "

There were only a select few people who were always bashing you and everyone else at the same time. Just let those negative people put their banter on the page and leave it at that. There are MANY more people on this board who would like to hear your wisdom, myself included. There is no doubt you are a great addition to the pool community, just wish you'd speak pool and let the oneliner's fly right by.

Todd

Fred Agnir
11-17-2003, 03:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> There are MANY more people on this board who would like to hear your wisdom, myself included. <hr /></blockquote>Me too. And I've been very consistent on this idea.

Freddie