PDA

View Full Version : floor covering around pool table

ras314
11-18-2003, 10:51 AM
Just got started putting up a building for a pool table and gun room. Will be on a concrete slab. I do not like carpet, especially in this low humidity area. What floor covering would be best? Don't want the balls getting all pitted up.

pooldaddy9
11-18-2003, 11:27 AM
Make sure they put plastic down before they pour the cement. It will help keep the moiture from coming through.
A good carpet with good padding.

Popcorn
11-18-2003, 11:36 AM
One of the best I ever saw was in a luxury home billiard room. It was some kind of cork. It was nice on the feet, and cut down on the noise. I don't care for carpet in a home room.

UWPoolGod
11-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Put down an epoxy flooring with a nonskid top. Should really get some traction for your breaks. LOL

MD_SPEED
11-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Cork is becoming really popular. It's kind of expensive but carpet can be as well.

cycopath
11-18-2003, 12:33 PM
Gun room, huh. Sounds interesting. What's your collection primarily made up of?

If you are totally against carpet, I would suggest a commercial type glue down tile. You could lay it yourself, it goes down relatively easily.

cycopath
11-18-2003, 12:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> Make sure they put plastic down before they pour the cement.<hr /></blockquote>

Isn't that code anyway? I just assumed it was.

Rich R.
11-18-2003, 12:50 PM
You may want to rethink the carpet.

No matter how careful you are, a ball occasionally jumps off the table and can damage either the ball or a hard surfaced floor.

A hard floor is also a lot harder on your feet and legs.

It's a long story, but I have a stone floor around my table. Although, in my situation, carpet was not an option, it would be nice.

Candyman
11-18-2003, 01:06 PM
If I ever get a table, I thought about getting the high density, interlocking rubber floor seen in many gyms. Keeping the table level, should not be a problem, If it was, you could cut out around the legs. I would like to know if someone has tried this and whether they like it or not.

Fred Agnir
11-18-2003, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr>
If you are totally against carpet, I would suggest a commercial type glue down tile. You could lay it yourself, it goes down relatively easily. <hr /></blockquote>My wife and I did this. Pretty easy, and it looks nice. Of course, in 15 years, we'll probably look back and say, "what the heck were we thinking?"

Fred

ras314
11-18-2003, 01:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> Gun room, huh. Sounds interesting. What's your collection primarily made up of?

If you are totally against carpet, I would suggest a commercial type glue down tile. You could lay it yourself, it goes down relatively easily. <hr /></blockquote>

Not a real gun collection, mostly varmit rifles. Biggest is a 458 Win mag, smallest a 17 MK 1V. Sort of like cues, a guy can't have too many. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Load some black powder, one reason for not wanting carpet. Don't want any sparks around that stuff, which can happen when humidity gets below 10 %

Like the idea of a cork floor, going to check into it.

tateuts
11-18-2003, 02:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>
Not a real gun collection, mostly varmit rifles. Biggest is a 458 Win mag, smallest a 17 MK 1V. Sort of like cues, a guy can't have too many. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Woah, where do you hunt? That 458 magnum ought to take care of those varmint critters. Personally, I shoot the b*stards with a 50 caliber. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif You don't even have to hit them - the noise alone scares them to death!

As far as a floor covering goes, check out Pergo at Home Depot. It's hard, durable, and looks like wood. I also like my hardwood flooring. It especially looks nice in a pool room, and if you decide you might like carpet later you can add area rugs.

Chris

pooldaddy9
11-18-2003, 04:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> Make sure they put plastic down before they pour the cement.<hr /></blockquote>

Isn't that code anyway? I just assumed it was. <hr /></blockquote>

Not everywhere. It should be but some contractors will cut corners. Even to save 10.00 worth of plastic.
I'd like to see it there for myself.

cycopath
11-18-2003, 04:17 PM
458 WM is one helluva varmit gun. Large 1/2 Ton varmint with antlers. My collection leans more toward assault rifles and handguns.

The problem with that Pergo is it's loud as hell when you pop a ball off the table. It sounds like that 458WM going off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara
11-18-2003, 04:53 PM
ras314,

You really have to get something soft/shock absorbment to stand on around a table if you're committed to playing for more than an hour at a time. You won't believe how hard standing on a wood floor/concrete can be to your joints over time. I have a wood floor in my kitchen, and although it's beautiful, it's a pain in my knees/a$$/back if I'm doing some major cooking.

I would love to hear how cork wears out.

Barbara

woody_968
11-18-2003, 05:30 PM
First off, what type of look do you want to have, and how much money do you want to spend to get it? As someone mentioned cork flooring is really starting to take off and some of the prices are comming down, but that still does not make it cheap.
Laminate is an option, but as you mentioned the noise could be a bit loud. There are different types of "foam" padding to deaden the sound more, but you will never get rid of the hollow sound.
Commercial tile - VCT - is one of the most durable floors available for the money, you can use two or three colors and put a pattern in the floor which make them look nice. But keep in mind this is not a "no wax floor" and should be waxed once in a while for protection of the tile, and it makes it look better.
If you want a hardwood look, but dont want the easy scratching or noise of hardwood, you may want to look at a product called Nafco. It is a vinyl product that comes in strips that are 3 to 6 inches wide and 4 foot long, so you get a truely staggerd look like a strip wood floor. They are very durable, but if you do damage one you can use a heat gun to re-activate the glue and replace one plank very easily.
Bamboo flooring is another durable product, but again it depends on how much you want to invest in your floor.

NH_Steve
11-18-2003, 06:52 PM
I've had hard surfaces, and they are hard as hell on balls that pop off the table. I have carpet now &amp; that is what I would recommend. We have cork in one room of our showroom (the kitchen business /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), and it is softer than wood, but still a lot less cushy and protective of your balls than carpet would be.

The carpet I have here is a synthetic, and the pad is also synthetic to be extra resistant to mold and mildew. I don't know the details of the material, but try to get assurances of mold and mildew resistance from the carpet place if you are in a humid environment -- and run a dehumidifier anyway ...

ras314
11-18-2003, 07:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> 458 WM is one helluva varmit gun. Large 1/2 Ton varmint with antlers. My collection leans more toward assault rifles and handguns.

The problem with that Pergo is it's loud as hell when you pop a ball off the table. It sounds like that 458WM going off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Well, lots of black hairy varmints hereabouts that can run upwards of 300 lb. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually only thing I've shot with the 458 was a rabbit. Did the job, removed the head and left all the meat.

Shot a few coyotes with a 375 H&amp;H, those didn't run off either. Have had some run off with 17 cal, Don't want to shoot anything without killing it clean.

Just added up my collection, 17 rifles in 13 different calibers, a few pistols, couple shotguns. Care and feeding components takes a lot of storage, along with loading bench and what not. Haven't fired a factory round in years other than 22's and shotgun.

Only have three cues so far.

Right now I'm leaning towards some sort of epoxy paint floor. Seems to be cheapest but sure would like something more resilient to walk on. Don't care about noise, should discourage the practice of bouncing balls off the table.

Much appreicate all the suggestions.

ras314
11-18-2003, 07:16 PM
"The carpet I have here is a synthetic, and the pad is also synthetic to be extra resistant to mold and mildew. I don't know the details of the material, but try to get assurances of mold and mildew resistance from the carpet place if you are in a humid environment -- and run a dehumidifier anyway ..."

This is a very dry area and suspect I will need a humidifier. I'm concerned about temp and humidity controll, don't want to screw up a good table. Not much concerned about looks.

cheesemouse
11-18-2003, 10:25 PM
ras314,
If you don't care about looks check into those rubber mats they use in bars to save on the bartenders feet and backs. They can be bought in varying lengths and widths. I think you can even get them with fitted 90 degree corners. You could surround the table with them, it would be easy on your feet/back...they are not cheap...JAT

JimS
11-19-2003, 07:01 AM
My room is carpeted but it's pretty hard flat carpet. I put a large Persian rug under the table when I got the Diamond. Easy on the feet/legs and the pool balls.

cycopath
11-20-2003, 11:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>Haven't fired a factory round in years other than 22's and shotgun.<hr /></blockquote>

My brother was reloading some 45acp and thought the marks on the powder measurer were for the actual grain load, rather than just a reference point. So he's loading what he thinks is 4.5gr of powder (don't remember what the powder was). He takes his old Colt/Auto Ordnance gun out and fires off a few. On the last round out of the magazine the slide locks back half way through the ejection cycle. The barrel was completely swollen freezing the slide.
Turns out instead of loading 4.5gr he was loading 13grs! Talk about your +P+ loads. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ras314
11-20-2003, 11:46 AM
cycopath,

I often don't realize some people are just starting reloading and forget to mention things I thought everybody knew. Some powder measures are marked in cc, some just arbitary. Had a newby complain about not getting recommemded powder in a 270 weathery mag, told him yeah, probably had to compress the slow powder. Turned out it was a 270 win on a weathery action. Popped the primers, damn fool fired three rounds before the action locked completly up. Thought everybody knew all weatherbys were belted cases.

Replacing the barrel shouldn't be too expensive, if thats all that is damaged. Probably get a better than factory original anyway. If you know what powder was used I have a program that will calculate the approximate pressure.

Sorry about getting off the thread here. By all accounts cork flooring sounds the way to go, but will cost as much as a good table. My building costs are fast getting out of hand.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-20-2003, 11:58 AM
RE: RELOADING.....

This would seem to be a classic case where a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally~~buys ammo at the gun shop....