PDA

View Full Version : Thorasic Sympathectomy

JMD in VA
11-18-2003, 11:08 AM
I know what you guys are thinking, but just hear me out. For those of you that remember me from the CCB tourney at the '03 US Open, I had to wear a glove b/c my hands would sweat so bad. It is a condition I have had all my life. And the MOnday right after the Open, I had an appointment at the MEdical College of Virginia. I went to see one of the Thorasic surgeons there and he confirmed I had Hyperhydrosis, aka overactive sweat nerves/glands. The "sympathetic" nerve in your body has to do with the excess sweating. It normally affects people in one of 3 places:
1) Hands
2) Underarms
3) Feet

Anyway, he said it is very common and can be fixed. I won't go into too many details about the surgery but I can tell you that it is out-patient surgery and the recovery period to be back at 100% is about 1 month. I was real fortunate that my insurance covered the whole thing!! Thank God! I must tell you, I am glad I had it done. I had the City Championships about 3 weeks after my surgery, and I was still a little sore, but I finished tied for 7th/8th in both the 8-Ball and 9-Ball. I don't think I would have done as well before the surgery. Anyway, just wanted to share this with my friends out there in CCB Land and to those players who are constantly washing their hands, putting on powder, or wearing gloves. The surgery has a 90% fix rate, so thatis real good. 2 risks but they are pretty minor. Check with a thorasic surgeon and they can help you. Hope this helps. Take care all. Hope to see you guys around somewhere. Good Shooting!

JMD in VA

P.S. The "Subject" title is the name of the actual surgery!

pooldaddy9
11-18-2003, 11:23 AM
good news, glad to hear it worked for you.

SPetty
11-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Is this the surgery where they go in and cut a nerve to prevent the sweating?

cycopath
11-18-2003, 12:28 PM
For Sale:
One used Sir Joseph Glove. Color Black. Size Large. Glove shows some wear but still very playable. Slight odor. All reasonable offers considered.
251-555-POOL evenings.

JMD in VA
11-18-2003, 09:25 PM
That's right! They cut nerves T2 and T3 on some nerves right behing your shoulder blades. They go in orthrascopically(SP?) under each arm and go in and cut the nerves. From what I was told, they used to go in through the chest to do this surgery. Glad they improved on it.

JMD in VA
11-18-2003, 09:28 PM
LOL. I almost had a fire sale like that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karatemom
11-18-2003, 11:04 PM
I'm so happy it worked for you. I remember you talking about something like that in VA and sounds like it went very well. 7/8th finish is quite respectable considering you had it done 3 weeks ago. Great job!

Heide ~ shook a guys hand tonite at leagues who either has the same problem, or can't play against a girl, LOL

wolfdancer
11-20-2003, 01:31 AM
Thought you was "pulling our leg"...thorasic...I related that to the chest...but I checked, and found that the condition is called hyperhidrosis
Now, I'm going to think twice before I make fun of the folks that use all that powder.."hey, I can still see some green on the table...more powder..."

Conservative medical treatments such as Drysol, Drionics or oral medications may be helpful for mild and moderate cases of hyperhidrosis, but are usually ineffective in cases of severe hyperhidrosis. The most effective treatment of severe hyperhidrosis is by a procedure called Endoscopic Sympathetic Blockade (also called Sympathectomy). The classic procedure calls for cutting or destroying of the second or third nerve trunks called the Sympathetic nerve trunk or ganglion, but this renders the operation irreversible. Dr. Garza prefers the updated procedure that applies small Titanium clamps across the 4th Sympathetic nerve trunks. This is tailored to control heat loss and sweating along a specific zone which includes the shoulders, underarms and hands, down to the bottom of the breasts. While early removal of the clamps does not guarantee a reversal, it holds the best option for potential reversal. Once the nerve is cut or destroyed, the possibility of reversal is removed.

The outpatient procedure takes about 30 minutes and most leave the surgical center in about an hour. Those that undergo the operation on a Friday usually return to work or school on the following Monday