View Full Version : deflection?

11-18-2003, 04:53 PM
What exactly do you mean when you say deflection, in other words what is it?

11-18-2003, 05:22 PM
DEFLECT: To bend or turn aside.

I had an Instructor explain this very well.

The cue stick deflects at contact with the cue-ball. The cue-ball then squirts as a result of the energy transfer. For every action an equal and opposite reaction....randyg

11-18-2003, 05:44 PM
When you hear the term "deflection" they are usually talking about cue ball squirt. This helps the player understand why aim adjustments are needed for shots involving right and left english.

Here's a pretty good primer on this stuff:

Duke University Pool Definitions (http://www.duke.edu/~rulmer/poolterms.htm)