PDA

View Full Version : "Break Pad" Convert

woody_968
11-18-2003, 06:18 PM
I have had people tell me the they use a "break pad" on there tables to save the cloth. This would be a 4" piece of scrap cloth from recovering their table that they would place under the ball while breaking.
Never thought it would make that much of a difference to be worth the trouble fo doing it, but I was wrong.
Last night we finally got my table set up in the garage, still had a few boxes in the left corner so was breaking from the center and right side, played a few hours and got several white dots from where the cue ball was when I broke.
Moved the boxes today and broke from the left side using a break pad, played a few hours and never got a mark!

Just thought I would mention it for those setting up new tables. Dont know if I will do this while playing someong, but sure will when I practice.
I always thought this would be kind of amatureish, and Im sure some will tell me it is, but it is a small amount of trouble to go through to extend the life and look of my cloth.

Cueless Joey
11-18-2003, 06:40 PM
Break pad is part of my "house" rules.

tateuts
11-18-2003, 06:47 PM
With cloth being so expensive to have installed, break pads are a good idea for heavily used tables. I don't use one at home, but we have two tables at the pool room with new 860 and we're trying to keep it nice.

There are some tables where the break "divot" is so deep, if you put the cue ball in there and hit a break shot hard, the cue ball will go airborne and sometimes fly right over the one ball!

Chris

Pelican
11-18-2003, 07:39 PM
Tell ya what Woodie, I sure wish I would have heard of doing this a few weeks ago. We recovered our practice table and it already has a groove down to the backing from where my step-son digs so low when breaking. When I recover again I think I will do like Joey and make it part of the "rules".

cueball1950
11-18-2003, 08:26 PM
Hey woody, here in albany it has been standard issue for playing 9 ball since whenever. only ours is alot larger. maybe 1ft x 1ft sq. easier to pick up before a ball hits it and it is made from old cloth. Anyway, it is a good idea to use it and save the tables good cloth..............mike

Cueless Joey
11-19-2003, 12:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> Tell ya what Woodie, I sure wish I would have heard of doing this a few weeks ago. We recovered our practice table and it already has a groove down to the backing from where my step-son digs so low when breaking. When I recover again I think I will do like Joey and make it part of the "rules". <hr /></blockquote>
I also implemented a break pad on all jump shots.

Perk
11-19-2003, 09:09 AM
So on a jump shot, you get to pick up the CB and add the pad?

How does the pad affect the jump?

#### leonard
11-19-2003, 09:31 AM
Try a dollar bill it is much stronger than the pool cloth and no jumping the cueball. If your trusting a 100 bill will also work.####

ChrisW
11-19-2003, 10:00 AM
A pad under jump shot will make jumping a whole lot easier.
Of course it saves the cloth too.

ChrisW
11-19-2003, 10:02 AM
At least you won't forget to leave it on the table.

Chris

Sid_Vicious
11-19-2003, 10:15 AM
Call me an oddball maybe, but I buy a pool table and I use it. I don't keep break pads cuz I ain't gonna be breaking with one in my general competition. I ain't gonna be limiting the general characteristics of the equipment by placing restrictions on the jump shot either, be it by cushioning it with a barrier beneath the CB or by not jumping relentlessly(practicing, you know...what we are supposed to be doing on "practice" tables.) I wonder a little sometimes about what goes on in some minds over the simple wear and tear on billiard cloth. Chill out! Cloth still lasts for years, mine has...sid

Sneakster
11-19-2003, 11:25 AM
Great piece of advice, where can I get some random pieces of cloth?

Perk
11-19-2003, 12:03 PM
I used a break pad when I first got my table reclothed. The only reason I did it was to eliminate that initial feeling of marking up the new cloth. When ya first get the cloth you notice every mark and normal wear. So I let the table get broke in with normal marks, then I do away with the break cloth, so when the break marks begin to happen, it isnt as noticeable due to other usage. IMO

Sid_Vicious
11-19-2003, 12:10 PM
You got me, I did too when the Simonas was absolutely pristene, and yes I even had the little piece of cloth too. I don't think I kept it but for a month or so,,,been too long to remember. I won't even bother next time I get new cloth though...sid

RedHell
11-19-2003, 02:16 PM
I don't have a table at home so I can't say what I do and don't do. But it appears to me that break marks are part of the normal wear and tear, I also don't believe it affect the play enough to be worried about it.

One thing I saw in england was a rack pad. They had a piecee of cloth fixed to the outside of the foot rail. When time came to rack, they were folding the cloth over the table and were racking on it, then once the rack was pushed into place they would remove the cloth and complete the racking process as usual.

I thought that was a great idea, the table add no groove in between the rack and the footrail. I hate having to play a soft shot thru there, the ball rolls like if they were in gravel !!!