PDA

View Full Version : Met My Goal

jjinfla
11-18-2003, 07:15 PM
At the beginning of the year I set a goal for myself to win $1,000 playing in the local tournaments. Sunday I crossed that mark with a 1st place in the local tournament. Not bad considering I always split if I am in the catbird seat and dump some games to let other people win now and again. And they are small rinky dink tournaments.

Lately I find that my game has improved so much that I can just toy with most of the players and don't really care if I win or not. Of course that's not saying that I am really that good, just that the other people here are that bad. Sorta like when you go bear hunting. Make sure you can outrun your hunting partner. LOL

And I owe a lot of my success to Steve Campana. That was the best $21 I ever invested. But of course his book was the last in a long line of books and videos. I guess he just tied it all up for me.

Jake

Tom_In_Cincy
11-18-2003, 11:51 PM
Congrats Jake,

What part of your game has improved the most?

jjinfla
11-19-2003, 04:39 AM
Can't really say it's any one thing Tom. It's more of all the little parts coming together. Confidence in making the shot and controlling the CB. Seeing the table and working the patterns. Realizing my strong points and my weak points and accepting them. Working on my weak points whenever I can. Even though I like the way I play, and can play, and beat, most of the people around here, I would stand no chance against the guys at the Amateur level who play in the Kingsbay Tournament. But then I haven't tried either. Maybe next year I will concentrate on the harder tournaments. It's just that they take so long to finish.

bluewolf
11-19-2003, 05:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Can't really say it's any one thing Tom. It's more of all the little parts coming together. Confidence in making the shot and controlling the CB. Seeing the table and working the patterns. Realizing my strong points and my weak points and accepting them. Working on my weak points whenever I can. Even though I like the way I play, and can play, and beat, most of the people around here, I would stand no chance against the guys at the Amateur level who play in the Kingsbay Tournament. But then I haven't tried either. Maybe next year I will concentrate on the harder tournaments. It's just that they take so long to finish. <hr /></blockquote>

Jake,

When I played in the falcon tour I knew most if not all of the players there were better than me. Since I do not particularly like handicapped formats, I knew it would help me get better because I can learn more from good players.

I did not have the stamina to go very far in the tournament either but believe following some suggestions gotten here, that will get better over time and more tournaments.

I say this as someone who likes you very much as one of my favorite players here and as a person. You might do well,better than you think at these tournaments.

Laura