PDA

View Full Version : Which Pro Has The Least Elbow Drop?

TomBrooklyn
11-18-2003, 08:47 PM
I think it's Allison Fisher. Her upper arm looks very stationary on her stroke.

TomBk

Cueless Joey
11-18-2003, 09:36 PM
Male, prolly Efren since he throws his cue.
That's why he likes long cues.

Fred Agnir
11-19-2003, 07:48 AM
Maybe the side-armers would drop the elbow the least. Like Keith McCready or Joanne Mason.

Fred

tateuts
11-19-2003, 12:25 PM
David Matlock's actually seems to rise - kind of strange.

Chris

wevoca
11-19-2003, 07:17 PM
Post deleted by ccb_admin_2

tateuts
11-20-2003, 02:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wevoca:</font><hr>

I was taught not to drop my elbow, now you are telling me to, so again, you are confusing me, which is it, yes or no? <hr /></blockquote>

Well, It's yes and no. If you are hitting a draw shot, drop your elbow. If you are hitting follow, don't drop your elbow. If you are hitting center ball, firm, drop your elbow. If you are hitting center ball, soft, don't drop your elbow. Right english, go ahead and drop it. Left english, don't drop it. Low left, do, low right, don't. High left, do, high right, don't. Now, if you hit any of these off the rail, do exactly the opposite. If you hit any of these hard, with the exception of soft, go ahead and drop the elbow. Now, if you hit any of these soft, with the exception of hard, don't drop the elbow.

Once you mastered this, bring some money and we'll play. Don't drop your elbow, drop your pants. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chris

cheesemouse
11-20-2003, 05:53 AM
tatuets,
...the cheese chuckles...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
11-20-2003, 06:48 AM
There are two reasons most instructors teach not to drop the elbow. One is that the shoulder allows movement in many directions. If the only movement in your stroke is from bending the elbow, the cue can only travel in one direction...straight. This is because in most cases, your elbow only bends in one direction.
The other main reason is you want the tip of the cue traveling as straight as possible at the point where it makes contact with the cue ball. By having your forearm 90 degrees from the cue at the set position and not dropping your elbow, the path of the cue tip is at it's most level point at that time because your stroke is at the bottom (straightest path) of the pendulim.
A third possibility that comes up with dropping the elbow is that many players when they use the upper arm will have a tendency to lift up their body during the stroke. This can result in changing the path of the cue stick after you went to all the trouble of lining everything up during the pre stroke process.
I don't think anyone can find much fault with Allison's game, and if you watch her stroke, you will see very little if any drop of her elbow, regardless of how hard/soft/high/low she is striking the cue ball.
JMHO

cycopath
11-20-2003, 11:47 AM
Steve Davis.
His elbow doesn't drop a bit. Of course he is a snooker champion so....

ras314
11-20-2003, 12:14 PM
What little I've been able to watch most of the lady pros use a fixed elbow stroke. Look like automations, no hail mary shots, no real excitement. Just walk around the table rolling balls in. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris Cass
11-20-2003, 05:50 PM
Hi ras,

Kinda like the old saying when buying any mechanical device. "The less moving parts, the better." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
11-20-2003, 06:15 PM
Hi Tom,

I have to agree with you 100%.

Regards,

C.C.

ras314
11-20-2003, 08:47 PM
C.C,

"Kinda like the old saying when buying any mechanical device. "The less moving parts, the better.""

Won't touch that one with a 10 ft pole. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, maybe if we're talking about pool...

Qtec
11-22-2003, 01:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> Steve Davis.
His elbow doesn't drop a bit. Of course he is a snooker champion so.... <hr /></blockquote>

Steve drops his elbow everytime, but only AFTER he hits the Qb.

Qtec