PDA

View Full Version : The Simpsons these past couple years-not funny?

nhp
11-19-2003, 12:42 AM
I remember the Simpsons used to be the funniest show on TV a few years ago. For the past couple years up to this day, I haven't found an episode made in that time period to be funny at all. I don't find any of the newer characters funny, and I think they have ruined the personality of a few old characters, including Homer. I used to love this show from grade-school thru high-school, but now the plots they use and the jokes they use seem to try to use shock-humor instead of the good-old satire and irony the show used to be all about. The plots seem like the writers are writing the episodes off the tops of their heads.
Does anyone else feel this way, or is it just me? Did they change writers anytime in the past couple years? The show seems way different now, and very desperate.

Iowashark
11-19-2003, 09:16 AM
I disagree, I for one, have thought the past few years have been getting better. And maybe one of the reasons to me is the new shock humor approach. Homer's character is the one that has improved the most over the years. I think the show started with the intention of Bart being the main character to appeal to younger age groups, but when they realized the show appealed the older crowds a little more, they transformed Homer into the main character. He's gone from being the mean dad always choking Bart, to the lovable dumb-witted oaf that's always screwing up. Without Homer's antics, the show would've been done 4 years ago.

~~Dave

9 Ball Girl
11-19-2003, 11:13 AM
I completely agree with IowaShark. I was in the 11th grade when the Simpsons were nothing but mere 3 minute shorts on the Tracey Ullman show. I will agree with you though that some of the most funniest episodes in my opinion were during the middle of the season. But even the new ones now are funny as hell too.

Wendy<---proud owner of seasons 1, 2, and 3 /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

nhp
11-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Maybe it is just me then.

Deniel
11-19-2003, 10:24 PM
Well, it's not just you, I too feel that the show lost a touch of it's humour lately, and one thing I also notice that the show can just change it's story in the middle of the show, like this one episode where Bart works as the flyer boy in an indian restaurant, which is actually kinda funny seeing bart doing ninja stuff ^__^, but all of the sudden the story changed to Lisa meeting a handsome environmentalist and wanted to save a tree together.

But I agree that Homer has been put upfront as the leading character and IMHO rightfully so too, people can get bored to the denis the menace attitude Bart have, but you gotta love Homer /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nhp
11-20-2003, 12:09 AM
Well actually Homer has been my favorite character since the beginning. I feel that they have changed Homer's personality, don't you? He used to be innocently naive and narcissistic, which I found to be hilarious, now he is stupidly naive, with a touch of "evil". This is just the feeling I get when I watch the Simpsons now.

11-20-2003, 12:18 AM
Worst television show ever.