PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this JOSS Custom Cue?

SteveFromNY
11-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Can somebody please tell me if this cue is worth it!?? I never knew Joss made custom cues...and this is exactly the design I've been looking for! I'm still waiting for Mike Capone to call me back about a design. Is this worth it? It's older but I'll most likely buy a 314 for it anyway. Let me know. THANKS!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3638755678&category=21 212

UWPoolGod
11-19-2003, 01:05 PM
It is pretty nice. One of the better Joss's I've seen. Personally I wouldn't bid on it...but I am particular in my cues.

Anonamus
11-19-2003, 01:05 PM
I've been told that the hand made Joss cues from the 60's era go for as much as $2K or more. I don't know for sure. I would check with someone to find out if that cue is really from that era.

The other thing is that is a lot of $ to spend on a cue that you can't hit first to see if you like it. And why pay that much $ for a cue and then put a 314 shaft on it? The old cues, as well as the good new cues, should have nice shafts already.

Don't buy a cue unless you've played with it and really like the feel of it.

Rich R.
11-19-2003, 01:08 PM
I don't know much about collectable cues, but, my guess is that the final sale price on this cue will be high.

I believe this cue was made before Joss became more of a production cue maker, although I could easily be wrong. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tateuts
11-19-2003, 01:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> Can somebody please tell me if this cue is worth it!?? I never knew Joss made custom cues...and this is exactly the design I've been looking for! I'm still waiting for Mike Capone to call me back about a design. Is this worth it? It's older but I'll most likely buy a 314 for it anyway. Let me know. THANKS!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3638755678&amp;category=21 212 <hr /></blockquote>

OK - the reason why this Joss is expensive is because it's an original early Joss collectible made while Billy Stroud was there. Stroud left to form Josswest in 1972 and Dan Janes went the production route.

This cue is worth more than $900 as an historic collectible. It's worth more than a Josswest in my opinion. I just sold a very plain 4 point Josswest from the 1972 - 1975 era for over $1000.

I mean, I hate to put a number on it but I would be happy getting it for my collection for anything less than $1200. This is the kind of cue that you treat very well. In ten years it will probably be worth a lot more.

Putting a Predator on this cue would be sacreligious and the pool gods would undoubtedly smite you for it.

Chris

SteveFromNY
11-19-2003, 01:21 PM
thanks! the cue is beautiful! but u guys are right in that I should play with it first. I assumed that it would hit the same as a production joss + 314 combo. I'll really have to do my homework on this one cuz it's BEAUTIFUL! It's FULL of Beauty!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tateuts
11-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Here is something else I would like to add. The seller seems knowledgeable and has sold other collectibles, but he hasn't mentioned if the cue has warpage. I would ask the seller if the cue is straight or pretty straight.

The other thing is, as far as the value goes, the linen looks new and it doesn't look like the old cortland the cue came with -which was white with green specs. That hurts the values in the eyes of collectible buyers, although having it wrapped with the right stuff is probably only about $50, it's still not original.

Chris

dg-in-centralpa
11-19-2003, 02:57 PM
I agree that the Stroud era Joss were something to behold. Not to take anything away from the current Joss. It would definitely be one to grab and hold onto. Most Stroud era cues in the past went for $1500 - $2000.

DG

Fred Agnir
11-19-2003, 03:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> Can somebody please tell me if this cue is worth it!?? I never knew Joss made custom cues... <hr /></blockquote>Maybe he still does, but up until at least a couple years ago, Dan Janes was still making about a dozen custom-ordered cues a year.

Is this cue worth it? Probably. Especially if someone buys it at that price. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fred

Chris Cass
11-19-2003, 03:32 PM
Hi Tateuts,

I was just about to say the same thing. I've always refered to them as Joss east and Joss West. Instead of Joss and Joss West. I also lean towards Joss West. He used to put a ton of ivory in his cues and went cheap for the work done IMO. Some beautiful work too.

Regards,

C.C.~~thinking this cue was made before the split..

tateuts
11-19-2003, 04:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Tateuts,

I was just about to say the same thing. I've always refered to them as Joss east and Joss West. Instead of Joss and Joss West. I also lean towards Joss West. He used to put a ton of ivory in his cues and went cheap for the work done IMO. Some beautiful work too.

Regards,

C.C.~~thinking this cue was made before the split.. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Chris,

Here's a very interesting comparison:

Here's an Early Josswest I sold a few weeks ago:

This was made after Bill left Joss and continued his spliced cues:

Josswest (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3635810328&amp;category=21 212&amp;rd=1)

The points are absolutely perfect on this cue.

Now, this is a 1975 Joss cue made after Stroud left:

Joss 1975 (http://www.billiardcue.com/cues/images/joss1844.jpg) Notice the points are not super sharp? These points are inlayed, probably with a pantograph.

These two cues kind of show the two directions these cue makers took. Both are living legends as far as the cue business goes. I would like to find a Dan Janes custom sometime too.

See you,

Chris

hemicudas
11-20-2003, 12:29 AM
That cue could easily bring $2,000. Watch.

tateuts
11-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Well, I offered him $1000 and he turned it down. It's not the original wrap and the cue is straight. I predict that it will go for between $1000 and $1200.

Chris