PDA

View Full Version : Room size?

sutallee
11-19-2003, 05:14 PM
I am reading about different room sizes for a 9 ft. table. I am think about getting a 9 ft. table, the room I want to put it in is (14 ft. 8 in.) by (19 ft 8 in.) Is this plenty enough room to shoot comfortably without hitting it walls.

UWPoolGod
11-19-2003, 05:19 PM
Close both ways..doesn't leave a lot for stroking. Rail shots straight across wall to wall might be difficult.

BLACKHEART
11-19-2003, 06:20 PM
I've always been told that you need 4'on each side. That would seem to be 12 1/2' x 17'...JER

UWPoolGod
11-19-2003, 06:31 PM
Yeah I would think at least. if you shoot off the rail with your cue being a minimum 58" = 4' 10". Minus the width of the rail to the ball at 5 or 6 inches would leave around 4' 5" or so. plus the back stroke adding at least 6 inches for short strokers (LOL!) and more for long strokers would lend me to think needing at least 5 feet on each side for comfort. Which is about what he has. I'd go for it. You'd only be "maybe" a little jacked up on those perfect straight across off the rail shots.

Fred Agnir
11-19-2003, 09:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sutallee:</font><hr> I am reading about different room sizes for a 9 ft. table. I am think about getting a 9 ft. table, the room I want to put it in is (14 ft. 8 in.) by (19 ft 8 in.) Is this plenty enough room to shoot comfortably without hitting it walls. <hr /></blockquote>If you're only planning on having the table in the room, you'll be a little close on the width. But not bad at all. People would love to be in your situation. That would include me. 14' 10" is needed if you want about a 5-6" stroke on each side for a 9' table with a 58" cue.

Fred

MarkUrsel
11-20-2003, 04:19 AM
From the horse's mouth: Brunswick Billiards - Room Size (http://www.brunswickbilliards.com/products/brunswick/tables/roomsize/roomsize.html)

pooldaddy9
11-20-2003, 05:09 AM
That is enough room, for playing only. (standing room only)

Fred Agnir
11-20-2003, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MarkUrsel:</font><hr> From the horse's mouth: Brunswick Billiards - Room Size (http://www.brunswickbilliards.com/products/brunswick/tables/roomsize/roomsize.html) <hr /></blockquote>They are absolutely wrong. Measure it out yourself, and you'll see how wrong they are. People would be mighty unhappy thinking they had room to really play on a 9' table with a room of 14' x 18'. I mean, sure you could play, but there'd be a lot of groaning. And groaning ain't my idea of fun...

... and if it ain't fun, it ain't much.

Fred

pooltchr
11-20-2003, 08:25 AM
You are absolutely correct, Fred. If you don't have a MINIMUM of 5 feet all around the table, you are going to be jammed in way too much. 5 and 1/2 feet lets you have a decent stroke on every shot. Now, if you have chairs, a bar, or any other furniture in the room, you may run into problems getting a comfortable stance on some shots.
Think about it. Look at the space around the tables in your local PH, and how many times you have to move chairs, bar stools, or other people in order to get to your shot.

5.5 feet clearance around the table, then add in space for anything else you will have in the room.

cycopath
11-20-2003, 11:51 AM
One thing to also consider is your body.
When you lean over for your shot, your backside is sticking way out, well beyond the end of the cue. So when cueing off the rail you have to back yourself into a close wall and kind of stand there while you stroke.

MarkUrsel
11-20-2003, 01:16 PM
Ok, so that particular horse can't add.

Fred, you're right; a 50" wide playing area plus a 58" cue plus 6" of stroke and you're at 14'10" wide, and at 100" in length of playing area, you need 19' even. I guess Brunswick really meant it when they said "minimum" requirements.

My opinion is that you need 25' x 16'. 20' x 16' for the table and the last 5 feet for the wet bar.