PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing CueStick... Where to start?

FearlessInc
11-19-2003, 08:48 PM
I'm thinking about shelling out $200 for a new cuestick. I play regularly, and I'm starting to be serious in the game. I probably will never go pro or anything but any local tournaments or anything similiar, I would definitely be interested in joining. I'm just not sure where to start, with buying a cuestick. I'm not exactly a beginner. I know my fundamentals and I'm improving after each loss. Now just where to start. Thanks!

dmgwalsh
11-19-2003, 09:34 PM
I think i just saw you on az: The price you mention sounds like used at ebay. I bought a good viking for about $125 and a new one for about 325 ( listed at 500). I don't know much about other cues. Am using a Bert Kinister Widowmaker now. McDermot, Schon, Jacoby Viking are all good names used in your price range. good luck. Dennis

FearlessInc
11-20-2003, 06:14 AM
Yeah, you did. By the way, I may raise it to $300. I just have to make sure that I'm going to like the stick and etc. before I get it. Just looking how to get started with purchasing one, especially one that I would like and play well with. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
11-20-2003, 06:53 AM
There are a lot of great cues on the market at$200-$300. Lucasi, Fury, Viking, McDermott, JP...the list goes on and on. One of the best places to learn about all of them at once is at the Super Billiards Expo every March in Valley Forge. Not only are the manufacturers there, but plenty of custom cue makers as well. It's a lot of fun, and the education you can get there is priceless.

eg8r
11-20-2003, 08:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just looking how to get started with purchasing one, especially one that I would like and play well with. <hr /></blockquote> I think the best way to start is to play with others at your local pool hall. See if they will let you shoot around with theirs for a little bit to see if you like it. If your pool hall sells cues, ask to shoot with the ones you are interested in. Go to local billiard supply stores and shoot around with some of theirs (if they will let you). Once you find the one you want then buy it.

eg8r

Iowashark
11-20-2003, 10:17 AM
You need to know what kind of cue would suit your game best.

Meucci-real whippy with a lot of action (most don't like these)

Viking- almost as whippy with about the same action (I play one, but I'm suprised more on this forum don't like these)

McDermott and Predator- play about the same, stiffer with less deflection than the Meucci and Viking.

J Pechauer- I've never played one but I read a lot of good things about this cue.

These are some productions cues that you will find in your price range.
Go to www.seyberts.com (http://www.seyberts.com) and check out some of the styles to see what you would like, but like most here would say...
never buy a cue you haven't tested first. If anyone at your local PH plays with some of the brands you're interested in buying, ask them if you can hit a few with it.
Or see if your local cue dealer will let you hit a few with one (my local dealer will not allow this and I think it is poor salesmanship).

Just a few thoughts to get you going into this.

~~Dave

P.S. For those of you who own or have played with a JP can you let me know how they compare to other production cues? I'm thinking about getting one for my wife and I want to know if it's something I might play with too...my wife doesn't play that much.

Pizza Bob
11-20-2003, 10:40 AM
I think that we’re all pretty much in agreement that hit/feel are relatively subjective things when it comes to actually describing them. Generalities may apply, i.e. You pretty much know that an implex, linen or flat faced wood joint is going to hit “softer” than a piloted stainless-steel. You can generalize that a thinner shaft with a long pro-taper will have more deflection than one of similar taper but larger diameter. I think you need to be careful not to fall into the trap of thinking that all cues from one manufacturer, or custom maker, play the same. You need to know generally what you want, what feels good to you, and then purchase a stick whose features lend themselves to those playing characteristics. From that point onward, it is matter of you adapting to the cue. If you have a ton of experience and know exactly what you want out of a cue in terms of hit or playability, then only buy after you have played with that specific cue. The context of your question tells us you aren’t at that point in your game. Good luck in your search, and most of all, have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

integra707
11-20-2003, 01:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Iowashark:</font><hr>
J Pechauer- I've never played one but I read a lot of good things about this cue.
<hr /></blockquote>

I play with a Pechauer cue. I love the way it shoots, but as far as the characteristics of it, I can't really explain. I've only been playing steadily for about 2 years, and this is my first cue. It feels almost similar to my friends Lucassi, but I've only shot a couple shots with it.

The verdict from ME, is I reallly like it.

Unfortunately, I don't think this helps much. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

-Will

BLACKHEART
11-20-2003, 02:07 PM
A few years ago one of the Billiards magazines published production info of the biggest Q making companies. Mcdermott made 60,000 Qs a year. Meucci was second with 45,000 Qs a year&amp; Viking was in the 20,000 Qs a year range. Somebody must like these Qs...JER

Big_Jon
11-20-2003, 02:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Iowashark:</font><hr> P.S. For those of you who own or have played with a JP can you let me know how they compare to other production cues? I'm thinking about getting one for my wife and I want to know if it's something I might play with too...my wife doesn't play that much. <hr /></blockquote>

I am currently playing with my Pechauer, but not with the original shaft though, it's a Pechauer blank with a perfectly matching silver ring and taper but with a LBM (Linen Based Melamine) Ferrule and triangle tip, that i finished myself and i think it hits great, and from what i remember about the original shaft... sweet... plays great with a medium-hard hit and great feel, solid as all get out, and keep in mind that this one has the stainless steal joint, not the Cyro (plastic like stuff, the same thing as Pechauer and Joss use as a butt cap) i know a guy who plays with one of those and from only playing one rack with it, it played about the same but the hit was alot softer. Either way will make you happy, you should check out Pechauer Website (http://www.pechauer.com) , and take a look around.

Thanks

Jon

Chris Cass
11-20-2003, 06:01 PM
Hi Fearlessinc,

The first thing is to find out what cue seems to hit to your liking. Go try some out at any good PH that will let you hit with their cues. Another would be to try some friends cues out to see if you like them.

The second thing to do is find one that would be in your price range. Once you find out what cuemaker you want to go with.

The third thing is resale value. Would you be able to sell it or trade it later when you want to upgrade?

Regards,

C.C.~~this is a lot to think about. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FearlessInc
11-20-2003, 09:16 PM
I guess I should just go to a billiards store and just check them out. Don't the owners usually let you at least get a feel for them? And hopefully even take a shot with them?

Anything I should beware of if buying from a billiards store? Like them trying to sell me a bad stick or etc, etc.

FearlessInc
11-21-2003, 07:48 AM
Hmm, the Lucasi sticks seem pretty nice. I might check those out first.

Chris Cass
11-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Not a bad idea. I will say the prices are good for the work they have in them. K-Mom has one and it's flawless.

Regards,

C.C.