PDA

View Full Version : Predator Shaft Question

L.S. Dennis
11-19-2003, 11:07 PM
I just recieved a new predator shaft today in the mail after having sent away for it about a couple of weeks ago.

I must admit that for all the shafts I've had in the past this is the first time I've ever had a predator so I figured why not try one. Upon recieving it the first thing I did was to get out my metric calipers and check the shaft diameter. It was a perfect 13mm with the professional taper.

My question is I thought I read somewhere or it might have been on this board that ALL predator shafts were 12.75 mm in diameter and that NO Predators were 13mm in diatmeter. Is my memory playing tricks on me or does anyone else have a Predator with a 13mm shaft?

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this,
Thanks

Cueless Joey
11-20-2003, 12:40 AM
They come stock at 12.75MM give or take a few thousandths of an inch.
Their break cue is a different matter.

ras314
11-20-2003, 08:28 AM
This got me courious. Mine measure .499 to .500 across the ferrule, or 12.68 mm. 6" from the tip two are about .512, one I use the most is .505". Going to have to watch sanding the shaft. Actually some fool grabbed it up and sanded it before I caught him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

They seem to be soft wood, the most minor knock will result in a ding.

Cueless Joey
11-20-2003, 10:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> This got me courious. Mine measure .499 to .500 across the ferrule, or 12.68 mm. 6" from the tip two are about .512, one I use the most is .505". Going to have to watch sanding the shaft. Actually some fool grabbed it up and sanded it before I caught him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

They seem to be soft wood, the most minor knock will result in a ding. <hr /></blockquote>
The hollowed end prolly acts like an echo chamber.

phil in sofla
11-20-2003, 06:22 PM
They use a cotton wad or something similar in the hollowed region, probably to dampen the hollow sound.

phil in sofla
11-20-2003, 06:26 PM
Not sure about the 'business' end (the tip) as to variation in width, but the joint end does have variation. Evidently, to most closely fit my Helmstedter cue's butt, Halsey's told me they got as fat a joint end as possible (and it still isn't quite matched up edge to edge with the butt, not that I feel it when stroking). Or maybe they knew something about me ahead of time to recommend a fat joint, I don't know!

Cueless Joey
11-20-2003, 10:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> They use a cotton wad or something similar in the hollowed region, probably to dampen the hollow sound. <hr /></blockquote>
No they don't.
They inject some foam inside the "ferrule". The ferrule is so thin and the tenon for it pretty thin too.
But, the hole is pretty much just 5 inches or so of .250" diam. hollow.

Lanny
11-21-2003, 12:57 AM
For answers to your questions you can call Predator toll free at 1-888-314-4111 or e-mail them through their website at www.predatorcues.com.If (http://www.predatorcues.com.If) you contact them let me know what they say,'cause I've got a 314 and a Schon coming.

Lanny