PDA

View Full Version : Practice

nhp
11-20-2003, 07:40 AM
A friend of mine told me some wise advice earlier today. He quoted Nick Varner, saying "Practice until you can't concentrate anymore". I guess this means only practice when you are really concentrating- really trying/focusing. This makes alot of sense, and reminded me of all the times I go and slam balls around when I am bored. I don't think, I just shoot out of feel/intuition. That made me realize- How is that practice? That is practicing bad habits, if anything. That gave me good incentive to ONLY play when I really have the inner drive to play, which is when I can concentrate and really think about what I am doing. Banging balls around out of boredom is just a waste of time and money. What do you think?

ras314
11-20-2003, 07:57 AM
I agree. No point in reinforcing bad habits.

DennyS
11-20-2003, 08:29 AM
" As with everything, maturity comes with knowledge and experience, structured practice makes perfect and consistency spawns success.
All things do come to those who put in the effort and hard work! "

Wally_in_Cincy
11-20-2003, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> ...Banging balls around out of boredom is just a waste of time and money. What do you think? <hr /></blockquote>

IMHO...

30 minutes of good concentrating practice is better than 3 hours of slapping balls.

Eric.
11-20-2003, 09:26 AM
I'm guessing that by practicing, you are trying to bring your game to a higher level...

One thing I've been told and do, is to practice every shot with a purpose. Every shot is played with the same concentration level of Tournament play, never shoot a shot with the "F it" attitude. Eventually, you will build a higher level of consistency in your game, which is what you want. IMO, if you never miss a shot you're supposed to make, you will be tough to beat.

Eric

randyg
11-20-2003, 09:28 AM
Magnificantly said!....randyg

RUNaRAK
11-20-2003, 02:39 PM
Yes, although it is sometimes hard to force yourself to practice. Keep working on the shots that give you the most trouble. Work on things like pinpoint position. It never hurts to think that way.. I am a victim of my own laziness and if I want to really improve my game, I must PRACTICE more. Best of luck to you....