PDA

View Full Version : He's back

Qtec
11-20-2003, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
WEST PALM BEACH, Florida (AP) --Authorities are investigating whether Rush Limbaugh illegally funneled money to buy prescription painkillers, a law enforcement source who spoke on condition of anonymity said Wednesday.

In his third day back on the air after rehab, Limbaugh responded with a blanket denial of the allegations first reported Tuesday by ABC News.

"I was not laundering money. I was withdrawing money for crying out loud," Limbaugh said in his three-hour broadcast.

Limbaugh was absent from his show for five weeks after announcing he was entering a drug rehabilitation program because of his addiction to prescription painkillers. But he told listeners he could tell them little about the allegations.

"I know where the story comes from, I know who's behind it, and I know what the purpose of the story is, and I'll be able to tell you at some point," he said.

Law enforcement sources in Palm Beach County, where Limbaugh owns a $24 million oceanfront mansion, previously confirmed that a criminal investigation into a prescription drug ring involved the conservative radio commentator. His former maid, Wilma Cline, reported supplying him with OxyContin and other painkillers

Limbaugh reported two years ago that he had lost most of his hearing because of an autoimmune inner-ear disease, but some medical experts have said abusing painkillers can lead to profound hearing loss.

Limbaugh had surgery to implant an electronic device to restore his hearing.

In the past, Limbaugh has decried drug use and abuse on his show, mocking then-President Clinton for saying he had not inhaled when he tried marijuana and often making the case that drug crimes deserve punishment.
<hr /></blockquote>

$24 million!!!!!

It certainly pays to be a blabbering right-wing mouthpiece.

I bet he is still on the 'HillBilly Heroin'.

Q

UWPoolGod
11-20-2003, 09:47 AM
Ohh I thought you meant YOU were back, not Rush. LOL

Well yeah he had to withdraw thousands for the pills. Guess his book did pretty well. Hannity will be the next $24M dollar man...if he isn't already. Seems like he is everywhere.

Qtec
11-20-2003, 11:45 PM
Rush, on other people,
[ QUOTE ]
5 Oct 1995 "What this says to me is that too many whites are getting away with drug use. Too many whites are getting away with drug sales. Too many whites are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too."

'I know every expert in the world will disagree with me, but I don't buy into the disease part of drug abuse. The first time you reach for a substance you are making a choice. Every time you go back, you're making a personal choice. I feel very strongly about that.'

10 Oct 2003 To radio audience: "I am addicted to pain medication." <hr /></blockquote>

Watch him squirm.

Q

eg8r
11-21-2003, 07:32 AM
I would guess the squirming is over by now. He has taken a hard stance on drug abuse and I hope he continues it. Just because he was addicted, does not mean what he said was wrong. I agree with both statements in which you have quoted (you know I fully agree with the second one).

I think he should spend some time in jail. I cannot stand it when celebrities are treated different than the rest of the people.

eg8r

SPetty
11-21-2003, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> He has taken a hard stance on drug abuse... <hr /></blockquote>HAHAHA! Yeah, I guess it is kinda hard to condemn addicts on one hand while at the same time hiding the fact that you yourself are an addict. What a hard life this poor fellow has...

eg8r
11-21-2003, 08:14 AM
I believe you have misinterpreted what I posted.

In reference to the section that you quoted, I was trying to say, in the past he was very "tough" on drug addicts.

eg8r

SPetty
11-21-2003, 08:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I believe you have misinterpreted what I posted.<hr /></blockquote>Actually, I just pulled it totally out of context in order to apply a smart-ass snide remark to it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

eg8r
11-21-2003, 08:21 AM
Alrighty then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
11-21-2003, 10:38 AM
Not a surprise to me that this rightie can abuse drugs for years, spout about the wrong-side of everyone else who is involved with drugs, and THIS GUY gets a penance of the amount of wrath that ol' Billy Boy got from some of the regulars here on this board, AND that inhaling thing was in his college day. Dang, some people never change...sid~~~Rush now takes a hard line against drug crime...gimme a break! He makes Clinton look like an alter boy by comparison

eg8r
11-21-2003, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He makes Clinton look like an alter boy by comparison <hr /></blockquote> I wish I could remember that website that listed all the people that were close to Clinton that were killed (even the suicides were doubtful).

As far as drug-use, I agree. However, Clinton never came clean. Surely no one believes he never inhaled!!!

eg8r

cheesemouse
11-21-2003, 02:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> He has taken a hard stance on drug abuse... <hr /></blockquote>HAHAHA! Yeah, I guess it is kinda hard to condemn addicts on one hand while at the same time hiding the fact that you yourself are an addict. What a hard life this poor fellow has... <hr /></blockquote>

Somehow, I think Rush has rationalized in his own mind that he has a pass, just because he is special, he is Rush. He was living in pain and the only way he could get thru the day was to sneak around scoring some good stuff man...Instead of going to prison, like he suggests for the non-special addicts, I think he should have to do a community service, that service being he go back out on the street and score some more of the good stuff and send a bottle to everyone that writes in and says "I have a pain in my ass caused by Rush and I need to get rid of the pain" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
11-22-2003, 01:48 AM
Still squirming.....

[ QUOTE ]
People are saying that I am a hypocrite, as I was using drugs. Yet, I was telling people to lead a moral life and do the right thing. Okay, if what I was saying to do was the right thing about whatever subject, does the fact that I may not have been doing it myself mean that it's not right to do? My behavior doesn't change right and wrong. And just because I may have been doing something that appeared to be contradictory to what I was suggesting others do doesn't mean that what I was suggesting others do is wrong.

You know, the critics want to harp on all this hypocrisy. There's no hypocrisy in this, because there is no weakening of right and wrong simply because some people don't choose to live that way in certain areas of their lives. I mean, if something like the speed limit is 70, and I tell people I don't want you driving faster than 70; you're risking your life; you're risking other people's lives; you're wasting fuel and I got caught speeding for 95 miles an hour, was I wrong that you shouldn't be speeding? No, I was the one wrong, but it didn't change the value of right and wrong simply because I didn't abide by it at a particular time.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

John in Atlanta, we go to you next, thanks for waiting. Welcome to the program, sir.

CALLER: Rush, dittos. Let me say that there's no one in the public eye, past or present, for whom I have more respect. I really enjoy your show.

RUSH: Thank you very, very much for that. I appreciate that.

CALLER: You stole most of my thunder, and I, too, am just at my wit's end when I watch some of these broadcasts. Yesterday, I apologize for not knowing the name of the reporter, but there was a piece on the news where the reporter was talking about your return and at the very end of the piece he said he wondered how your particular situation would influence your compassion and understanding of addicts in the future since you had been so critical. I never really heard any criticism aimed directly at addiction, and I listen very often, so I wonder how you felt about that?

RUSH: Well, you know, I've heard this, too. As I say, it's been sort of funny to read journalists posing as experts. It's happening right now. Imagine - hello, CNN - I guess they're taking us live. It's going to be in conflict with what's been said on CNN just a half hour ago, but nevertheless, I've read all these experts predicting what kind of new man I might be and if I'm not what that means, and if I am what that means, and I, too, am aware of this - of this phantom - well, there's a statement from my TV show they're using from 1995 which they are taking totally out of context about more white drug users need to be in jail. I can explain that to you in a moment.

But this business about me being hard on addicts, may I be honest with you? I was a drug addict - well, I still am - was a drug addict from about 1996, 1995, whenever, to just five weeks ago. The truth of the matter is I avoided the subject of drugs on this program for the precise reason that I was keeping a secret. I didn't want to sound as though I had any knowledge of them at all. In fact, there were some people who called here and started talking hydrocodone and oxycodone and I said, "What's that?" Knowing all along what it was. So this business that I've been hard on drug addicts - I am one, and I was doing what drug addicts do by keeping secrets. So I think there are a lot of phantom quotes out there or people making assumptions about things I've said and they're guilty of it because they think as a conservative I'm a hard-ass on this or that, but I think they're just wrong again.

<hr /></blockquote>

eg8r, spot the strawman.

Q

eg8r
11-22-2003, 09:51 PM
No, you spot what you want to see.

[ QUOTE ]
And just because I may have been doing something that appeared to be contradictory to what I was suggesting others do doesn't mean that what I was suggesting others do is wrong. <hr /></blockquote> I totally agree. Because he was being a hypocritical fool does not mean his message was wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
You know, the critics want to harp on all this hypocrisy. There's no hypocrisy in this, because there is no weakening of right and wrong simply because some people don't choose to live that way in certain areas of their lives. <hr /></blockquote> I completely disagree. He was being a hypocrite. He was telling others how stupid they are for doing drugs and they should be in jail, while at the same time doing drugs. He is trying to sidestep the issue (maybe what Q is trying to say) at hand. People are not calling his messages hypocritical, they are calling his actions hypocritical.

eg8r

Qtec
11-23-2003, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I completely disagree. He was being a hypocrite. He was telling others how stupid they are for doing drugs and they should be in jail, while at the same time doing drugs. He is trying to sidestep the issue (maybe what Q is trying to say) at hand. People are not calling his messages hypocritical, they are calling his actions hypocritical.
<hr /></blockquote>

Exactly.

He is a hypocrite, but he then tries to change the subject from his own behaviour to the merits of 'right and wrong'. This is the strawman.

Nobody says its right to smoke crack or that their is nothing wrong with adiction.

I wonder if he thinks HE should go to prison?

Q