PDA

View Full Version : Working on a fiberglass shaft-Please Help!

MaineEAck
04-16-2002, 07:47 PM
A local guy wants me to put a ferrule on one of those Black fiberglass shafts... before I work on it, anything I should know? If I go into the wood, with it all be messed up? Can I face of the end of the cue before I begin? Please Let me know ASAP!! Thanks in advance for any help!

MaineEAck
04-16-2002, 08:06 PM
there were like 4 or 5 posts right after mine, and I just thought i would bump it up tp the top so people will see it, I need to do this cue by tomarrow! hahaha
hope noone cares

BLACKHEART
04-16-2002, 08:35 PM
The shafts with the fiberglass coating are hard to work on & the stained ones are the worst of all. It's nearly impossible to put a ferrule on these without cutting or sanding into the black. If this happens YOU'RE DEAD. I tell my customers that this is a real possibility before hand.There are 2 problems here, one is if you only barely cut into the fiberglass coating, you will be able to see a DULL mark where you cut. If you go deeper then you will have a spot with the maple showing through. These are very hard to do even for an experienced repairman, let alone someone just starting out. IF YOU BOTCH THIS ONE, YOU WILL GET NOTHING BUT BAD PUBICITY, THAT WILL HURT YOUR FUTURE. Return it & tell him that you can't do this repair, because of these problems...JER

TomBrooklyn
04-16-2002, 08:41 PM
Jordon,

I can't give you any cueshaft advice as I'm not a cue repairman; but as a contractor I can give you some business advice.

If you don't know how to do a job, don't take it.

Corrallaries to this are:

- If you THINK you can do the job, you can't.*
- If you KNOW you can do the job, you can.

*You may eventually get the job done, but you won't make any money on it. You may get it right on your second or third attempt, so if you want to look at it as on-the-job training OK, you just won't make any money or will make only a little in relation to the time you spend on it. If you commit to a tight timeframe on a job your not familiar with, you just put yourself in a box. Also, be prepared to not only fail to make money, but to pay for any damage you do that requires you to reach in your pocket to fix.

P.S. I expect you may ignore this advice a number of times in your cue repairing business, like most contractors who are starting out do. Eventually, when you become well accomplished, and when you have enough work in what you do know how to do, you will be more inclined to follow it.

P.P.S. I recieved this same advice years ago, and ignored it at times with mixed results. LOL. Good luck.

Edit note: I started writing this before Jerry posted, but finished it after his reply was made. What he said indicates that the worst case scenario I described is likely to happen, and the point about getting a negative mark on your cue repair reputation is a good point that I forgot to address. It especially applies because most of your potential customers will know each other.

04-16-2002, 11:28 PM
wow!

this is like having a bunch of dads to help you thru the tough stuff.

follow their advice.

dan