PDA

View Full Version : Does playing other games help your pool game?

Ralph S.
11-21-2003, 12:06 PM
I haven't been able to play much pool lately, but when I did, I seemed to struggle just a little at times. Mostly it was not "seeing" the entire layout of the balls very well. Misreading patterns and overlooked safes and such. I also love to play chess, which many, myself included, say is just like pool except balls are used in place of game peices.

A good chess player visualises the entire board as you must see multiple attack and defense positions at the same time all the time. I have been playing much more chess the last several weeks, and finally got out to shoot some pool last night, which leads me to this.

I was able to see everything on the pool table. Things I had been overlooking. It was like having x-ray vision and a computer controlled mindset. My level of play was very, very good. All phases of my game was in high gear, much like being "in the zone".

I was wondering if anybody else has had an experience like this or similar to it. Did you feel that playing another game outside of pool helped your pool game in anyway? All input would be appreciated.

Rod
11-21-2003, 01:09 PM
No, not me Ralph, at least nothing comes to mind. I use to play chess years ago but I gave it up. I would lay at night thinking about some moves and couldn't sleep. If anything, it killed my pool game for lack of sleep. I couldn't deal with something like that so I quit playing chess.

Rod

UWPoolGod
11-21-2003, 01:25 PM
I would lay at night thinking about some moves and couldn't sleep. If anything, it killed my pool game for lack of sleep. <--Rod

I was doing the same things with pool, visualizing every pool table run that I lost. Always remember the ones you lost the best. Couldn't sleep either, playing pool in my dreams. Do that with a lot of stuff. When I was programming C++ at college I would go to bed after working all day on a program that had errors. Once I got to sleep I would envision the right way and I would wake up when I dreamt it. Go to the comp at 3AM and proceed to do it right in a quarter the time I sat there toiling over the problems during the day.

Todd <--- still slides down his bed trying to find the brake pedal while driving in his sleep. Scary.

woody_968
11-21-2003, 05:10 PM
I would say my playing and studying golf has helped my pool game. Especially the mental side, learning that I couldn't do anything about a shot I had already hit and to manage the mistakes that I am going to make has helped me tremendously.

wolfdancer
11-23-2003, 07:42 PM
You are not alone
1.A friend of mine had the same sleep problems over pool
2. Thomas Edison is reported to have taken a nap when he couldn't solve a problem, and awaken with the solution
3. the brain is supposed to shut off motor controls to prevent you from injuring yourself while dreaming...doesn't work though for everybody...get yourself a seat belt and strap yourself in..we don't want you falling off the bed
and getting back to the original question...I think playing darts might help in pool. Similiar motion, though reversed. Unfortunately, I've never tested that theory

dg-in-centralpa
11-23-2003, 07:59 PM
I know it's been said that golf is like pool only less expensive. Many pool pros play golf. This is one game I never learned. I've got more than enough stress in my life without learning to play golf. Although I like other mind games, I don't think they helped me in any way to play pool.

DG - golf is a good waste of a walk

IMMSHARMA
11-23-2003, 11:05 PM
There is a similar game-CARROMS (finger billiards) played with a circular striker and wooden coins on a woodwn board.Your aiming and strategy certainly improves.

cheesemouse
11-24-2003, 04:19 AM
Polevaulting......

JimS
11-24-2003, 07:02 AM
Too hard on the stick
/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Chris Cass
11-24-2003, 09:02 AM
That could be a real nightmare. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
11-24-2003, 09:05 AM
Hi Ralph,

I think doing puzzles would be good for your game. Basically, you are putting a puzzle togather when playing pool. Heide does this well and I've noticed it in her patterns. JAT

Regards,

C.C.