PDA

View Full Version : Pre shot routine. How would your rate it?

RUNaRAK
11-21-2003, 12:13 PM
How important would you rate having a good pre-shot routine on a scale of 1-10. 10 being very very important?
I have found that, when I am practicing and running out at home, I do not follow a pre-shot routine. It really has an adverse affect on my game when I am in a pressure $$$$ situation and my game goes to the Dogs..
When I focus on sticking to a pre-shot routine, I still feel the pressure but my game does not suffer. Anyone else experience this?? What do you do consistently as part of your pre-shot routine.
Always interested in seeing what everyone else does.. Scott Lee, how about you??

Thanks,

Ralph S.
11-21-2003, 12:17 PM
After not having a sound routine, mine was very poor, I found it to be the most important factor. Once I gained a solid routine, my consistency improved ten fold. In a nut shell I say a 10 rating is in order.

Karatemom
11-21-2003, 12:35 PM
I have to agree with you, Ralph. The pre shot routine is what brings me back to "ground zero". My game is now to the point where I don't have to think about the pre shot routine, I just do it from habit. If it does anything, it releases that pressured feeling because it is something that you do on every shot, not just the hard ones. It comes down to consistency. And I believe that consistency is a huge part of the game. I would definitely rate it a 10.

My .02

Heide

UWPoolGod
11-21-2003, 12:40 PM
I would also rate it very high on that scale. Never get down on the shot until you know exactly what you are going to do. If any doubts, stand up and start over. Tried to tell that to a teammate last night. He was constnatly getting down over a shot and then lifting his head and thinking about it to change his mind. He missed the next shot 80% of the time. Get ready, get clear, get down, get strokin', get out.

bluewolf
11-21-2003, 12:53 PM
I try to do the same preshot routine every time.Although my concentration sometimes has suffered in practice, I have found that, if I try real hard on each practice shot to have the right routine etc, it seems to carry over.To me it is the last chance to see that my stroke is going right before taking the shot, or if it is not to stand back up to reset./ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

Scott Lee
11-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Absolutely a 10...ALWAYS!

Rod
11-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Well, let me see, what else is there? I mean execution is just a short version of your mental pre-shot routine/ visualiation. If it happens to be the other way around, I'd say you subject to make lots of mistakes.

Rod

ras314
11-21-2003, 01:07 PM
If you get a chance, take a lesson from Scott. Then you wouldn't have to ask him /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think the pre-shot routine is a way to maintain consistency in your game. Have to rate it a 10.

Didn't think pressure bothered me all that much. Then, in a little bar tournament final, I ran the rack down to the 8 ball, perfect position and easy shape for the 9. Looked up and there were 20 people, still as a church mouse, all staring at me. Dogged the 8 and lost. Convinced a pre-shot routine would have helped.

RUNaRAK
11-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I plan on getting a lesson from Scott next time he is in my area. It certainly could not hurt me. I look forward to it and have great expectations from what I hear on this board. Keep the suggestions and comments coming.

Peace, JBK

Tom_In_Cincy
11-21-2003, 02:45 PM
10... always a 10...

Would you mind sharing your pre-shot routine?

Mine is rather simple, but when I am using it, my mistakes are reduced.

Look the table over, by walking around and seeing where the trouble balls are (checking to see if there is an open path to a pocket for balls that are close)

Look the OB into the pocket from the CB side of the OB and from the pocket side.

Decide where I want my cue ball to end up, (even on the game ball)

Decide how I am going to get the CB to that spot.

Visualize the entire shot, CB into the OB, OB into the pocket CB to the final spot.

(all the above is done while standing)

Then I stand behind the CB and make my stance adjustment to the 'aim' path.

Set up my stance, so that when I get down on the shot, my cue is alighned with the aim path.

Site the CB to the OB, I look back and froth from the CB to the OB at least 3 times. Pre stoke my cue, (minimum 3 times) pause at the cue ball, and execute.

It sounds like a lot, but with practice and experience, the time and check points go by pretty quick.

This also occupies my thoughts enough to 'push' the distractions into a secondary level.

When I do get down, if there is something that doesn't feel right in my previous decision making, I get up and start over again. This is the time comsuming part. In my beginnings NOTHING felt right. I still come up with this problem while playing One Pocket and I don't feel comfotable with what I want to do.

Iowashark
11-21-2003, 03:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Never get down on the shot until you know exactly what you are going to do. . <hr /></blockquote>

I wouldn't call mine a pre-shot routine but more of a post-break routine. The longest amount of time I take between shots comes after the break. This is because I'm not looking at the next shot, I'm looking at the next 7 or 8 shots. The only time I get up to take another good look at the table is when one of my leaves deviates from the original 'plan' or 'routine', then to me it's a whole new table. If I try too hard to think about something like a pre-shot routine, I lose the focus I had on the entire table.

IMO a pre-shot routine helps considerably in your shot making percentage. Once you can pot balls consistently you shouldn't have to think about the pre-shot routine because it happens naturally.
Potting balls is easy, but if you can see the table from the start you'll be running racks.

~~Dave

SPetty
11-21-2003, 04:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Iowashark:</font><hr> Potting balls is easy...<hr /></blockquote>HAHAHA! Oh, sorry, I mean HAHAHA! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Qtec
11-22-2003, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Potting balls IS easy ............when you can place the Qb where you want to!<hr /></blockquote>

Qtec

Chris Cass
11-22-2003, 08:19 AM
Oh ya Tom,

Here's my pre-shot routine.

First I chalk my cue. Then, I walk around the table in a clockwise direction. Then, once counter-clockwise. Then, I load up with powder, after the dust settles I wipe my hands on the cushion.

Then, I start to whistle a song that makes no sence. Then, I beltch as loud as I can. Then, I get down on the ball. Then, I stroke it 26 times. Then, I stand back up and double check the straight in shot I have even though it's 6" from the cb and 6" from the pocket.

Then, I get back down and slam it into the hole. Now, if I miss? I'll slap my leg and start swearing and tell my opponent how much the equipment sucks at the top of my lungs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~that's how everyone does it at my ph. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Barbara
11-22-2003, 09:04 AM
Sometimes I like to whistle a tune from the "Wizard Of Oz". You know, "If I Only Had A Brain"... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara~~~also known to whistle that tune at work, too...

Rod
11-22-2003, 12:06 PM
I wondered the same last night, except I found an intermittent short. It was like everything in good working order then my right arm did something stupid!!! ha ha ha darn arm I'm gonna get a better unit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod
11-22-2003, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Iowashark:</font><hr> Potting balls is easy...<hr /></blockquote>HAHAHA! Oh, sorry, I mean HAHAHA! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
11-22-2003, 12:23 PM
Chris wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
Then, I start to whistle a song that makes no sence. <hr /></blockquote>

I've heard you whistle that tune.. and wondered what it was, but, by the time you finished shooting, I was racking and forgot to ASK...

NOW I know... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif